Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Went Down Today

3K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  hiddentoken 
#1 ·
Well, as most of these threads start, the odds state that this would happen to me sooner or later and I went down this morning on my 2012 while out on a solo ride.

I was coming into a corner on a country road that ended up having a little gravel in it. When I hit the gravel the rear slid out a bit, which caused me to run the end of the corner wide and into the dirt. That is how I remember it anyway, it happened pretty fast. Once I hit the dirt, it took all I could muster to keep it up. I have watched those videos online of people going down after running wide into the dirt and I thought, I could have saved that. Well let me tell you, once you go off-roading on one of these things, all bets are off.

I laid the bike down at a pretty low speed, but still managed to scratch up the left fairing and snap off the foot peg. I almost feel silly posting this after another member's recent thread. This was obviously nowhere near as bad, but I am still glad to have made out with only a minor scratch on me. I think it is where I landed on a rock.

I am actually kinda glad this happened the way it did. Going down can always be worse and it knocked me back down a bit, as I think I was getting a little too comfortable on the machine. I was wearing an Icon Overlord Prime two piece leather suit, which did it's job like a champ. If I had not been wearing the gear, it would have been a lot worse on me, especially my lower left leg. I am so glad that I wasn't just wearing jeans. Use this as a warning, WEAR YOUR GEAR!

I guess I can now use this fairing for track duty and I can also install some of the parts that I have sitting here waiting to go on, including my CRG GP clutch and Rizoma rearsets. Gotta find the silver lining in the situation. :)

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a left side OEM fairing?

See less See more
#34 ·
most important thing is that you walked away. plastic and metal can be replaced. your body cannot. glad your alright

#35 ·
Just an update. I got her mostly back to the way she was and finally had time today to wash her and get out and snap some pics with my phone.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2126912&postcount=406

I still need to replace the alternator cover, but I am going to do that when I put on the Yoshi full system and PCV so I can do it all at once.

Stay safe out there! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.