Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

May be finalizing a deal on an '08 1000RR today!

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TheX 
#1 ·
You may remember my conundrum of wanting a 2006-2008 750+cc sport bike and exploring all possibilites within my budget..

Well I ended up today narrowing my choice to one of these 2 options:

- Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 Green. 1 owner. Akra slip on. Pristine AS NEW condition with just 3500km on the clock! Driven in the dry on weekends only. 10,000 Euros

- Honda CBR 1000RR 2008 Black. 1 owner. Completely Standard. Mint Condition. 31,000km BUT has had brand new engine installed late 2010 due to oil burn problem almost 1L/1000km. Done 11,000km on new engine. Owner says new engine still burns some oil but only around 500ml/2000km which Honda say is normal. 9,300 Euros

I have sat and test driven both. Both drive well...Kwak sounds beautiful but torque and ease of drive I prefer on CBR. I have to say I prefer the looks, ergos and size of the Honda too :thumbsup:...a friend is telling me that for just 700 euros he would rather have the 'new' bike though he says the CBR is really nice nick too :beat:...

I think I am still going for the blade though :gay:. Am I doing the right thing?

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for replies...

Well just because an engine uses some oil I would not term it an oil burner. My friend had an Integra type R that would drink 2 litres of Castrol fully sythetic in between services! He had it for 4 years and never gave him 1 bit of trouble...

Is it so unacceptable to have an engine use some oil? I can accept the fact that I have to check the oil every so much miles/days and top it up if necessary as long as there will be no more issues with the bike :gay:...

I have read that many owners have this 'issue' but not much developed in a serious problem. Maybe I am missing something ?

#5 ·
some oil use is normal, not really a dealbreaker. My 08 is good on the street. If your pushing it hard at the track, then she uses maybe 500 ml over a trackday.

Can't go wrong with either of these, go with what your heart tells you.

#8 ·
I have inspected the blade well today and it really looks like it has been well loved and cared for!

The paint is like new and there is no corrosion anywhere on the bike. It has full service history with all documents and I managed to haggle my way to 9000 Euros. I am 99% confident I'm going for this bike as I really like it :thumbsup:!

The Kwak might be very new but it just lacks the feeling I get I get from just looking at the blade :beat:...hard to explain but I feel that way :thefinger:...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.