Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Unreasonable to ask for a VIN before seeing a bike in person?

8K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Cahal 
#1 ·
I found a bike on craigslist I want and they guy refuses to send me his VIN number. He acts like I am trying to pull some kind of scam. I just want to check the title online before seeing it in person (http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/buying_vehicle/title_check.htm) and set up my insurance.

What do you think? Should I bail? Is this guy selling a stolen bike or just doesn't know how to sell a bike?

Here is the conversation:
seller
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to me
I don't have the Vin on me. Ill shoot it to you when I get to my house later. I'm free after 4pm.

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
Thanks

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
Got that VIN?

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
Also, where do you want to meet Monday? I get off work at 5:30 in Richardson.

seller
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to me
I can't meet tomorrow. I am going to a concert. Tuesday is great though

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
I will be out of town Wednesday-Thursday. Any chance I can see it Monday at lunch? Worst case I suppose Tuesday can work. Otherwise it will be Friday.

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
Got the VIN?

seller
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to me
I'm an Xray Guy so not really able to show it at lunch. We will work it out

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
Nov 4 (2 days ago)

to seller
Ok can you send the VIN? Need to get my insurance finalized so I can ride off with your bike.

Me
1:20 PM (19 hours ago)

to seller
Can you send the VIN before your concert? It is also probably on your insurance card. Need to line up my insurance during business hours.

seller
4:52 PM (15 hours ago)

to me
I can get you a carfax. No biggie. Seems like you would at least want yo look at it before buying insurance coverage. Most major insurance will give you a grace period when you purchase a new vehicle. Call them and I'm sure they can explain.

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
5:10 PM (15 hours ago)

to seller
Carfax is fine, but I mainly want the VIN.

They won't start charging me yet. They will retroactively charge me after I call them to let them know I bought it. Basically, I get the insurance set up ahead of time, but they retroactively charge after I tell them I bought it. This grandfathers me in on the night of the purchase since I gave them the notice.

Me
7:48 PM (12 hours ago)

to seller
VINnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I also have to check the title etc

http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/buying_vehicle/title_check.htm

Me
8:05 PM (12 hours ago)

to seller
Nevermind the deal is off. You seem shady.

seller
7:19 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
LOL! I SEEM SHADY!

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
7:26 AM (1 hour ago)

to seller
Look, maybe this is your first time selling a motorcycle. I need the vin so I can check online to be sure it is not stolen and to set up my insurance. There is actually a trick with insurance companies where they give you a generic quote, but a more specific one if you provide the vin. If their records reveal accidents, the quote will come in lower than the generic. Basically a free carfax right there, with the side effect of also having the policy set up.

You display your license plate in your photos. Any thief interested in your bike can contact a public records service to find your address. I on the other hand just want the vin so I can check the bike out before getting money from the bank and meeting a stranger.

If you have nothing to hide, you should have no problem sending then vin. Not being willing to send the vin seems shady, but maybe you just have not sold many bikes before and did not know why someone would want it.

Also, cover up that license plate in your picture. That is a theft risk for you, especially when you post that you arent available until 4pm. You are basically telling a thief where you live and when you are away.

Me
7:30 AM (1 hour ago)

to seller
Do you understand why someone holding cash would not want to meet up with a stranger, look up the vin, discover the bike is stolen goods right in front of the bike thief? I am not saying you are selling a stolen bike, but it happens every day. Stolen bikes are reported to the police, their vins are recorded, and people can check the db online

Me
7:31 AM (1 hour ago)

to seller
All I want to do is put your VIN in here before coming to see the bike in person:
http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/buying_vehicle/title_check.htm

seller
7:59 AM (46 minutes ago)

to me
Actually, the bike is not at the address that is listed on the registration. So no biggie. Thanks though. I have sold over 30 motorcycles and automobiles. NOONE HAS EVER ASKED FOR THE VIN! EVER. I have in fact gotten carfax reports for people many times. Especially AFTER MEETING THEM AND HAVING THEM SEE THE VEHICLE.

I understand your concern and I thank you for your interest.

Sent via My Thumbs

seller
8:03 AM (43 minutes ago)

to me
I never ever bring cash the first time I am looking at a vehicle. Period. One can look up the vin or get a carfax or whatnot at any time of any day. Carfax never closes.

Sent via My Thumbs

Me
8:33 AM (12 minutes ago)

to seller
Why are you afraid to provide the VIN? What scam do you think I am doing?

Me
8:35 AM (10 minutes ago)

to seller
Alright. Go to any motorcycle forum and copy and paste this whole conversation and ask them if they think I am being unreasonable for asking for a vin.

Heck, many ads list the vin right in the ad

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcd/3346026869.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/3343085438.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcd/3364494898.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcd/3364428090.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcd/3320287587.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Move on and find another one, it's probably not worth the hassle to work with that seller any longer (or he's trying to disclose the title status of the bike because the VIN *may* reveal it to be rebuilt/salvage/theft repair, etc, etc).

If you really want the bike, meet him in person to obtain the VIN and go from there...

YMMV

#4 ·
I was thinking the same- Go look at the bike and *discreetly* snap a picture of the VIN. Easy enough to do, and you can check it out for yourself from there.

Of course, that's if you really want the bike...It sounds to me like this guy is either trying something shady or is looking for an easy way out of selling it.

#5 ·
There is no way in hell that he has sold a motorcycle before if he has never had anyone ask for the vin... What a turd! Lol

2008 CBR 1000
Her name is Jasmine! Damnit!!

#7 ·
Probably a waste of time to pursue it. As mentioned, you most likely could avoid this deal unless it is such an outstanding deal (apparently). The guy is not as motivated to sell as you are to buy if he has excuses not to show it or reveal the VIN. If you have the time and like the picture, go and take a look at it. I can say, from craigslist I have gone and looked at at least 3 RC51 before and none were titled in sellers name (despite what they claimed on the phone). Yep, total bullshit. But, every now and then you can find a good deal. I bought an R1 once from a guy who was afraid to ride it and made money on it ;)

#8 ·
I had the same issue over the weekend. I wanted a little change of pace, so I was interested in a thruxton on craigslist. Sent the guy a couple of initial questions and got responses. After the Vin question, crickets. I did suggest that he run the history report if he didn't want me to have the vin for some reason. Maybe your sell might be willing to run the Vin report and let you view it while looking at the bike.

#9 ·
I don't see what the big deal is, I'm not selling my bike and if you ask me for it ill give you it right now lmao

2008 CBR 1000
Her name is Jasmine! Damnit!!

#11 ·
One dude even left a Louisiana plate on the back of the bike and told me he was from California.........and selliing in TX!! He had no answer. You see all kinds out there.

It is almost funny to see how some of the bikes don't match the pictures. Crashed, etc...

#17 ·
My brother in law, for his first bike I let him go window shopping solo then when he was content on a set bike I'd show up and check it out... A few of the nicer bike were salvaged. And a few others wouldn't let us check the vin. One Of them grounded it off the frame, he claimed it looked tacky so he got rid of it!! LOL!!

#20 ·
I always run the vin no matter what and when I'm selling a bike I ask the buyer right off that bat if he wants the vin number so he can run it and verify the status of the title. Shit, on another forum I frequent you can't list a bike for sale without the vin number in the for sale ad.

#23 ·
IF you go look at it:
A. You should not bring cash with you until you run the vin.
B. If it were me I would be carrying (but I always carry)
C. Bring a friend to help diffuse any possible situation.
D. Unless it is a great deal....keep looking.

#24 ·
E. punch him in the throat if he's not letting you see the vin.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 ·
#28 ·
If he's willing to send you a carfax wouldn't the VIN be on that documentation?
Just asking as I've never seen a Carfax printout.

I just picked up, this past weekend, an '09 Repsol from Craigslist. The seller was great to deal with although he was VERY "guarded" about info at the beginning of the process. It wasn't until I talked to him on the phone that we both felt better about each other's stance. Basically it's being gunshy from all the crap to goes on when using Craigslist.

#30 ·
If I were you I'd go look at the bike first, and directly ask/tell him that you are jotting down the VIN number to check car fax (if he is not a dealer, don't trust his carfax, spend that $40 on carfax), like this it gives me time to assess the bike and figure out if the deal is good enough or not. By doing this you are not carring cash on the first meet (I never carry cash on first meet if I'm going there alone).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.