Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Front tire traction

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  CBR1kWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, gonna try to ask this with out getting way off base. I am going on my third set of tires for my RR. I have noticed lately that the front tire is wearing edge to edge and the rear tire I am staying about 1/2 an inch away from the edge. I am riding on Q2s and have a new pair that will be here tomorrow. I like the tires but am not sure what is going on.

I ride pressures at 34F, 36R and the bike is set up for my weight of 200 pounds with gear with stock suspension. I have had the front wheel try to wash out lately at least I feel that it is trying to. I am not sure if my front compression is to high or am I not rolling on the throttle enough. I am not a hard rider and really do not feel that I am entering a corner to fast nor am I coasting in the turn with applying the front brakes. I am just geting confused as to what might be going on. I am not all into the BS chicken strip thing as leaning the bike to max is not a goal. I do like to read my tires and want to know why the front is different from the rear.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys..I have had the suspension tuned twice over the past 3 years as far as it being done by a pro I would not say that. Two different shops due to my weight changing here and there up and down between 185 to 200 pounds. What do you mean it's the way the Q2s are? It's not a nuicence but just a curious question. Qualifiers came on the bike and I just don't recall them doing the same since they wore out pretty quick. I am happy over all with the Q2s just baffles me as to why the rear is not on the edge but the front is. I just remember it being the other way around over the years. I will try to push on the tank a bit more with the legs. I know I asked if I was maybe seated back to far weight wise but I tend to settle in the saddle about an inch off the tank. As far as the front forks having to much compression damping, I was thinking about trying to turn them a little softer to see if that changes anything. I am just a bit cautious with the bike due to sand and don't want to end up in a canal. A lot of times I think I am getting to old for Sportbikes so I am trying to decide weather to throw in the towel soon.

I am thinking I might be agressive at a low speed as in when turning out of a turning lane...maybe leaning early with a tight turn at a low to normal speed causing the front to scrub. If it were a high speed turn that's kinda tight then the rear would scrub and not the front...Dunno if that makes sense. I think as in to much speed into and being lame out keeps to much weight on the front. I am open to ideas or discussion but will speed determin the difference of the two in that way? I guess I will have to give this a try in a parking lot later tonight.

#6 ·
Try 30 psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. I run the Q2 and I counter steer my bike and the back is wore to the edge and the front still lacks an inch or so. All tires I have rode wear that way for me because of the counter steering while I lean I guess.

#7 ·
I dont think I'd have any tires left to ride on at the pressure LOL. They would be a bit hot for my taste but I will give it a try to see how it goes. I did ride at a simular pressure like that a while back and it was just not to stable on the roads. We have very few turns around here so I think a lot of my issues are riding straight for a while then getting excited to reach a curve no matter how sweeping it is.

#8 ·
oh. Ok. When you said you had your back tire on the edge I thought you were riding curves. The Q2 takes a little longer to heat up and at the pressures I suggested will make them very sticky and you can scream through the curves but just riding straight I may go to 32f and 34r. If you have any hard breaking I would go 32-34f and 30-32r. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
First thing is o set the sag . I dont know what exact messurements but you want to put all your gear on when you do it. If your over 185lbs you most likely will need a re spring to get the right settings on your sag. The 04-05 models have really weak springs stock dunno about the bewer models though. After you get the correct sag its easier to get the settings on your comp and rebound adjusters.
Don

#16 ·
I am on a 2010

Settings of late after I checked are as follows

Front Preload 4 turns in from full soft
Rebound 1 turn out from full hard
Compression 2 turns out from full hard

Rear shock Preload is on stock setting due to it being hard as hell to adjust even with a spanner. I have to pull the shock out to turn the cam.
Rebound is 2 turns out from full hard
Compression is 1.5 turns out from full hard.

I know the bikes are on the light side spring tension wise so for now I will not be replacing anything. I would never hear the end of thats from the wife.

#17 ·
If you weigh 200 pounds you need to go up on your rear preload. They come factory set for a 180 pound rider and you should have 10mm of static sag (just bike weight) and 30-40mm of rider sag (rider setting on bike with the gear they ride with on). Hope this helps.

#20 ·
I know for a fact that it's not your choice of tire. I have Q2s and on the street I've about an 1/8 inch of infrequently used tire on the rear. On the front, I've 1/4 to 3/8 inch of unused tire.

As to your question, I don't know for a fact why anyone has more front or rear wear to edge, but I guess most folks have a higher confidence level using available traction coming out of a corner vs going into the corner and so use more available tire on the rear. On the street I'm just not ok with pushing the front anywhere near it's limit. I've still had the front start to tuck at low speeds on cold tires, but never to the point that I felt I was going to lose it. On-the-other-hand I enjoy slipping the rear a little and have more confidence with it.

As far as suspension, for me, upgrading has resulted in better wearing tires and more comfort, but it hasn't changed the amount of tire I use front or back one bit.

Like you, I'd like to hear from someone who knows the answer.

#21 ·
Right I don't believe that tire brands make a difference...not as far as this. I am curious but assume right now that I am pushing the Blade into the apex and not out. I am over thinking this maybe looking for a geometry cause but it has to be riding error on my part. If riding to fast into the turn as I think I am doing lately scrubing the front is gonna cause me to lay it down. Now I took a month off from riding and do not recall seeing this before that time. I clean my ride after every ride so I always take a good look at the tires.

#22 ·
Another thing I thought about is how many miles you have on those forks and fork oil. When I raced I changed the oil every 3 race weekends . But on the street you should do it at least every year. Fork oil level will make a front end dive and do exactly what you are describing . That is a cheap thing you can do in your garage too . Plus you would not believe how dirty it gets and fast too which effects damping.

#24 ·
Noted for sure...fixing to hit 10k on my bike but have not changed the fork oil yet. I will talk to the shop about having that done. I was planning on doing that soon anyways since evry time I start saving up some dough for new suspension then something odd always comes up money wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.