Front tire traction : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Front tire traction

Hi guys, gonna try to ask this with out getting way off base. I am going on my third set of tires for my RR. I have noticed lately that the front tire is wearing edge to edge and the rear tire I am staying about 1/2 an inch away from the edge. I am riding on Q2s and have a new pair that will be here tomorrow. I like the tires but am not sure what is going on.

I ride pressures at 34F, 36R and the bike is set up for my weight of 200 pounds with gear with stock suspension. I have had the front wheel try to wash out lately at least I feel that it is trying to. I am not sure if my front compression is to high or am I not rolling on the throttle enough. I am not a hard rider and really do not feel that I am entering a corner to fast nor am I coasting in the turn with applying the front brakes. I am just geting confused as to what might be going on. I am not all into the BS chicken strip thing as leaning the bike to max is not a goal. I do like to read my tires and want to know why the front is different from the rear.

Last edited by CBR1kWolf; 11-06-2012 at 07:08 PM.
CBR1kWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

You're muscling the bike. Try riding a bit more lax and use your body more to control the bikes movement.
stage5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Its the q2's its just the way their made, if it bothers you get a different tire

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
kranem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

your suspension? Did you have it tuned by a pro?

CMRA # 117
CBRyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys..I have had the suspension tuned twice over the past 3 years as far as it being done by a pro I would not say that. Two different shops due to my weight changing here and there up and down between 185 to 200 pounds. What do you mean it's the way the Q2s are? It's not a nuicence but just a curious question. Qualifiers came on the bike and I just don't recall them doing the same since they wore out pretty quick. I am happy over all with the Q2s just baffles me as to why the rear is not on the edge but the front is. I just remember it being the other way around over the years. I will try to push on the tank a bit more with the legs. I know I asked if I was maybe seated back to far weight wise but I tend to settle in the saddle about an inch off the tank. As far as the front forks having to much compression damping, I was thinking about trying to turn them a little softer to see if that changes anything. I am just a bit cautious with the bike due to sand and don't want to end up in a canal. A lot of times I think I am getting to old for Sportbikes so I am trying to decide weather to throw in the towel soon.

I am thinking I might be agressive at a low speed as in when turning out of a turning lane...maybe leaning early with a tight turn at a low to normal speed causing the front to scrub. If it were a high speed turn that's kinda tight then the rear would scrub and not the front...Dunno if that makes sense. I think as in to much speed into and being lame out keeps to much weight on the front. I am open to ideas or discussion but will speed determin the difference of the two in that way? I guess I will have to give this a try in a parking lot later tonight.

Last edited by CBR1kWolf; 11-06-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Lifetime Premium

Try 30 psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. I run the Q2 and I counter steer my bike and the back is wore to the edge and the front still lacks an inch or so. All tires I have rode wear that way for me because of the counter steering while I lean I guess.
SNEAKERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEAKERHEAD View Post
Try 30 psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. I run the Q2 and I counter steer my bike and the back is wore to the edge and the front still lacks an inch or so. All tires I have rode wear that way for me because of the counter steering while I lean I guess.
I dont think I'd have any tires left to ride on at the pressure LOL. They would be a bit hot for my taste but I will give it a try to see how it goes. I did ride at a simular pressure like that a while back and it was just not to stable on the roads. We have very few turns around here so I think a lot of my issues are riding straight for a while then getting excited to reach a curve no matter how sweeping it is.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Lifetime Premium

oh. Ok. When you said you had your back tire on the edge I thought you were riding curves. The Q2 takes a little longer to heat up and at the pressures I suggested will make them very sticky and you can scream through the curves but just riding straight I may go to 32f and 34r. If you have any hard breaking I would go 32-34f and 30-32r. Hope this helps.
SNEAKERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #9

You did not say what year your bike is . But if its 04-05 and you have not changed your springs out they are to soft for your weight. Nothing you do will fix your problems unless you fix that first.
Don
CBR484RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Ex-Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranem View Post
Its the q2's its just the way their made, if it bothers you get a different tire

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
No, it's not.

2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Mods: Lots of track days and large testicles
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement