Built race spec motor reliability for street use??? - Page 3 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #21

I would hate to have that bike strictly for street use. But I wouldn't pass up the chance to have it as a dedicated track bike. But a few of the guys on here have hit the nail on the head. When you build something to operate very closely to its mechanical limits, reliability and ease of use tend to suffer.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohn101 View Post
I would love to have a motor that would last 50,000 miles.

And yes that is corrected mileage.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #23

d207gp, is that an 05/06 Gixxer? Cause previously the 2 types of bikes I narrowed things down to was the 05/06 GSX-R1000 or a 08+ CBR1000RR. Then I came across this 07 and was kinda in shock.

noahb, I've got to believe that keeping it under 11,500 RPM would still be absolutely thrilling.

Nickj321, I never claimed that I could properly rebuild a motor. I had a few thoughts on this whole topic though... If it's truly 14:1 compression at sea level atmosphere and air density is roughly ~3% lower per/1,000 ft, then the motor will never see that high of compression if I kept it in Colorado above 5,000'?? (Technically it would, but it's starting and finishing density would be less.) I will mention that the builder said that it was properly plated, I can't member what type, but it sounded like that link you sent.

I'm an engineer, not a mechanical engineer though. So I'm more asking then telling. I could believe that altitude makes no difference on compression ratio, but I thought I'd ask. I know it does have an effect on lower horsepower though. I know you can even run lower octane fuel at higher altitudes without knocking/pinging.

Here's what I've observed in loss of power with altitude. I bought my friend an 08 1000RR with a carbon slip-on (he paid, I picked up) and thought it was fast. When I got a chance to ride it at about 700' where he live it was insane. I shit you not, the thing did a 2nd gear power wheelie, I literally started giggling with joy. He had added a PC III though, I can't believe it made that big of a difference.

Also, the first time I rode my 94 1000RR in the mountains, I thought my bike was broke. We went from 5'000' to 10-11,000'. It was so slow and weak, I thought it was time for a new bike. When got back down it was back to itself.

So, how much would a rebuild cost from a shop (maybe I could get a slight discount from the original builder)? Could I simply throw in new lower 3 ring compression pistons? Are the cylinder walls toast after 2,000-15,000 miles? What about just doing a straight engine swap at rebuild time?

I came across this last night. Made think 14:1 is really not a good idea. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1801701 Keep in mind that all superbikes have higher compression ratios comparatively to cars and are reliable and also produce less than half the torque figures.
Bohn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohn101 View Post
d207gp, is that an 05/06 Gixxer?
Indeed it is my 2006 G1K. Solid, reliable performer with a bulletproof engine.

That doesn't seem to burn a drop of oil no matter how hard I flog it.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Premium Member

The better question is why do you want an overbore motor for a street bike? I guess I'l be the party pooper that doesn't grasp this concept.

And yes, I owned an actual AMA Superbike that was part of Corona/Honda. No way in hell I would use a motor like that for street riding.
shakazulu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
"Dremel-Smith"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
The better question is why do you want an overbore motor for a street bike? I guess I'l be the party pooper that doesn't grasp this concept.

And yes, I owned an actual AMA Superbike that was part of Corona/Honda. No way in hell I would use a motor like that for street riding.
+100%.

Shakazulu12: Who's Corona bike bike did you get?

FS Thread: Ohlins-HRC-Arata-Yoyodune-OEM. Everything!

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary , that's what get you." -Jeremy Clarkson

JetFireRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
Premium Member

It was Jake Holden's, sold it last year.
shakazulu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
lucky man that bike is wonderful. Why did you sell it?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
"Dremel-Smith"

Quote:
Nice!

I currently have Chandlers bike + spares from the 2007 privateer AMA Superbike NFS Racing team. Bikes built to these levels are quite a commitment to say the least.

Been parting out a few of the spares yet on the rocks of what to do with the main bike itself; thing will blow your mind on the track though!

Point: I purchased these bikes with the understanding that they need A-LOT of maintenance and have the capacity to provided that attention. I have many spares for everything on these motors and will be keeping them for as long as I have these bikes; I know they won't last and replace parts before they fail! Yes, I ride the bejesus out of these and that does play a factor; yet just firing up a built motor is starting the stopwatch till the next rebuild. And those are not cheap!

What many people who build their engines fail to consider is what effects that additional power will do to their engines and how you are only shortening the life of the components such as the cases and the head itself. What is the point of a built motor on the street? {Aside from loads of fun!}

FS Thread: Ohlins-HRC-Arata-Yoyodune-OEM. Everything!

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary , that's what get you." -Jeremy Clarkson

JetFireRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #30

Because he's racing for pinks yo! Lol
Jmnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement