Always double check your work! - Page 3 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #21

i almost did this same thing today on my 06 sv650 while changing the oil. it was harder getting the dame drain plug loose than tightening it ha
RC-DEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #22

Install a crush washer on the drain plug and put a little fresh oil on it and you won't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Brutus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #23

Good story, but how do you double check ignorance? Which in my case i was big time ignorant to the position of the sator. I reveresed the stator while reinstalling it, and when I cranked up the motor, phucking lead wire of the stator got all chewed up. So learned my mistake by buying a new stator and reinstalling it the correct way.
And yes, our mind does play games with us sometimes. While I was about to tighten something on my bike my phone rang, I got in my pocket, took the phone out and answered. and misteriously lost the bolt i had in my hand. Spent whole day looking for it and finally gave up. Then at night when I was about to go to bed, I took my phone out of my pajama pocket to charge, and the bolt came out with it too, I put the bolt in my pocket while answering the phone and had no idea it was there the whole time. I blame the high side I had couple of years ago where I banged my head and was kocked out for 1/2 hour... memory loss...
1998 Honda CBR F3 (Sold)
Gunn IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Green Eggs and Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn IT View Post
Good story, but how do you double check ignorance? Which in my case i was big time ignorant to the position of the sator. I reveresed the stator while reinstalling it, and when I cranked up the motor, phucking lead wire of the stator got all chewed up. So learned my mistake by buying a new stator and reinstalling it the correct way.
And yes, our mind does play games with us sometimes. While I was about to tighten something on my bike my phone rang, I got in my pocket, took the phone out and answered. and misteriously lost the bolt i had in my hand. Spent whole day looking for it and finally gave up. Then at night when I was about to go to bed, I took my phone out of my pajama pocket to charge, and the bolt came out with it too, I put the bolt in my pocket while answering the phone and had no idea it was there the whole time. I blame the high side I had couple of years ago where I banged my head and was kocked out for 1/2 hour... memory loss...
Your situation was different... While my error was a common sense error, I could have easily gone back to "double check" the torque on all the bolts I had to take out/ adjust (1 bolt lol). You COULD have potentially made a double check by reading a writeup or tech notes and such...
AWSneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
Banned Camp Counselor

Glad it all worked out for you, and that it did not turn out to be a total loss on the bike.
You're obviously a very humble guy to point out your own failing in this foolish act. To learn from it, and to offer your mistake in observation and advice to others.

Last edited by woodab; 11-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
n7hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #26
Green Eggs and Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7hevn View Post
Glad it all worked out for you, and that it did not turn out to be a total loss on the bike.
You're obviously a very humble guy to point out your own failing in this foolish act. To learn from it, and to offer your mistake in observation and advice to others.
Your post is full of win.

Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by woodab; 11-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #27

They guy wrote down that forgot to tight up the oil drainage bolt, (Once again, its not a nipple) and look where this thread went !!
Can we see some pic from bike!??

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Green Eggs and Ham

I appreciate you guys backing me up.. But let's not fuel the fire and get back on topic!

Anyone else have any 'doi' experiences they wanna share?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSneer View Post
I appreciate you guys backing me up.. But let's not fuel the fire and get back on topic!

Anyone else have any 'doi' experiences they wanna share?
On my semi truck,i hand tight the oil filter,then re tight it little with the wrench, and i thought its enough, and let me tell you, the oil filter is 16 inch long,5 or 6 inch diameter,and where it goes on engine its big as the tread of the rear axle bolt on the motorcycle.
So i am driving 200 miles and park the truck,and checking in the shipping office,and go out and all i see is oil below my truck, black puddlle of oil, probatly arround 6 sq feet.
So i said, what the f..k? And i see its from oil filter.i re tight it hard, with hands and then wrench (like 20 nipples holding them at once LOL
And lost probarly 2 galons. The oil capacity on semi truck is 11 galons , one sucks in the oil filter and 10 in engine!
Just so you know to rebuilt engine on semi truck is 16 000 dolars.only parts are 10 000 dolars.

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
Green Eggs and Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GligorovDimce View Post
On my semi truck,i hand tight the oil filter,then re tight it little with the wrench, and i thought its enough, and let me tell you, the oil filter is 16 inch long,5 or 6 inch diameter,and where it goes on engine its big as the tread of the rear axle bolt on the motorcycle.
So i am driving 200 miles and park the truck,and checking in the shipping office,and go out and all i see is oil below my truck, black puddlle of oil, probatly arround 6 sq feet.
So i said, what the f..k? And i see its from oil filter.i re tight it hard, with hands and then wrench (like 20 nipples holding them at once LOL
And lost probarly 2 galons. The oil capacity on semi truck is 11 galons , one sucks in the oil filter and 10 in engine!
Just so you know to rebuilt engine on semi truck is 16 000 dolars.only parts are 10 000 dolars.
11 gallons... thats a sick joke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement