Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

No gear indicator here...

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  gsxr>cbr 
#1 · (Edited)
This is about as many lights as you wanna see lit at once on your CBR1000. Oh wait a minute - that's not entirely correct. Another good one is that yellow flasher, "SHIFT!! SHIFT!!" at around 11-12. If you're seeing that one it's a party. But snap that picture holding your smartphone and you're a real psycho!

Not sure what gear you're in? Pay attention to the tach. I have learned all my sportbikes that way. Do you want to know how much it's gonna change if you run different profile tires, or change gear ratios, etc? NOT AT ALL. Honda senses speed at the engine, not the wheels. No mods to your gearing will change indicated speed vs. RPM.

If you're interested, here's how it breaks down on a CBR 1000, revs vs. MPH. These numbers aren't exact. MPH/Revs might be off by a few here and there, but for 6th gear this is very close:

4,000 RPM = 55mph
5,000 RPM = 70mph
Tach at 9 o'clock (under 6 grand) 80MPH
6,000 RPM = 85MPH
6,500 RPM = 90MPH
7,000 RPM = 100MPH

In 5th gear if your tach shows 12,000 you'll be somewhere over (over the rainbow!) 150mph.

I'll check this (it does get a little confusing) and if I'm off I will edit.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you saying changing sprocket teeth isn't gonna change my speed?haha. ..Your saying a stock(16F)(42R) sprocket set up running at say...5k RPM, will be the same speed as say..a -2(14F)(42R) at 5k.

And having a gear indicator would be much appreciated, I don't need something to tell me when to shift I can handle that (which you can set that stock light to start blinkin when you want it to)

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

#10 ·
INDICATED speed does not change

Are you saying changing sprocket teeth isn't gonna change my speed?haha...
Indicated my man, indicated speed will not change. Your mph to tach rpm ratio does not change if you regear. Your speedo is linked to your trans BEFORE your final drive. I know this because I regeared my 929 and the rpm/mph did not change. I didn't specify earlier but those RPM vs. mph figures I gave were for TOP gear, of course.

In fourth gear, when the tach is at 9 o'clock (slightly below 6k) the indicated speed is around 70, or down about 10mph.

In 3rd gear your indicated speed is more or less what your tach points to. If the tach says 3g's, your indicated speed is about 30mph. If it's at 4k, indicated is about 40mph and so forth.

I don't ride the track anymore, but I agree, a shift indicator is helpful if you're trying to make your best time. There's a lot to think about when your trying to hit your brake marker, set your line, etc. and a visual for your gear would be helpful, I imagine. On the street I could care less.

#8 ·
There's an excellent thread on installing a GIPRO gear indicator. Very simple and well worth it.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.