first year of cold riding - Page 2 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

Also, I have a one piece suit liner that completely blocks the wind. It makes all of the difference in the world imo.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRyb View Post
LAYERS

This.
-Leo Vince SBK Oval EVOII Carbon #7949
-Bazzaz Z-Bomb -PC-V -K&N air filter
-ECV/servo motor delete & pdfruth's ESRM
-Flapper Delete (click ME for "how to" pics!)
-Volt HID H7 bulbs -Clear Stompgrips
-HRC solo rear cowl -HRC carbon fiber tank pad
-Honda Energy Seat -Yoshimura FE

-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #13

For riding in cold, are any of you concerned enough about the tires being cold that you use tire warmers? Or is that too extreme to worry about?
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #14

Pretty sure that tire warmers will not do anything but for the start of your ride. As you aren't riding it like at the track on the street, the tires will cool off at low speeds and while sitting at lights. Pretty much no benefit, but I've never tried it. I rode my R6 in two snow storms and my Night Rod in one storm. None of them liked it, and even where there wasn't snow or ice, the road was so cold I could slide my boots on the pavement. I took turns slow with my feet on the ground sliding for additional balance. My thought was dive into a snow bank if it slips out from under you. In second gear on the R6 at 15mph, I whacked it to see what would happen (in my neighborhood, no cars or people). Back end IMMEDIATELY slipped out from under me. I didn't even have the rpms over like 2000. Our tires, in my experience, aren't the best for those types of conditions. Think summer or all season performance tires vs winter tires on your car. I have friends who ride all winter in Chicago though, so it can be done
drkangel3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel3991 View Post
Pretty sure that tire warmers will not do anything but for the start of your ride. As you aren't riding it like at the track on the street, the tires will cool off at low speeds and while sitting at lights. Pretty much no benefit, but I've never tried it. I rode my R6 in two snow storms and my Night Rod in one storm. None of them liked it, and even where there wasn't snow or ice, the road was so cold I could slide my boots on the pavement. I took turns slow with my feet on the ground sliding for additional balance. My thought was dive into a snow bank if it slips out from under you. In second gear on the R6 at 15mph, I whacked it to see what would happen (in my neighborhood, no cars or people). Back end IMMEDIATELY slipped out from under me. I didn't even have the rpms over like 2000. Our tires, in my experience, aren't the best for those types of conditions. Think summer or all season performance tires vs winter tires on your car. I have friends who ride all winter in Chicago though, so it can be done
I've ridden in hail storms and with snow on the ground but never purposely went out in a snow storm. You got balls man

09 CBR Repsol NADA $8865
09 CBR non-Repsol NADA $7605
-------
Difference $1265
DickBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #16

Haha I was beginning to feel alone..

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"
noahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #17

I rode one time on 20 degrees and wasnt pleasant!!! :-))
Bazzaz Z-FI
EK 520 Chain -1/+1 gearing.
R6 Throttle Tube
Flapper Mod.
Dual Fan Switch Mod
K&N Air Filter
Pair Mod
Z-Bomb
Hot bodies smoked windscreen
Fender eliminator Led turn signals
Michelin Pilot Power
ASV Red Clutch and Brake Levers
Shogun Frame Sliders
RR Swingarm Spools
Clear OEM Tail Light from 2012 CBR1K
Tank pad and gas cap protectors
Bright White LED for DRL
Chrome Bulbs front Turn signal
Battery Tender connector
GligorovDimce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
meowwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
a having a heated jacket or jacket liner is not a waste... It turns winter riding (or any riding under about 50*) from a chore into a very simple, entertaining thing..
now, the cost of a store bought vest/jacket/liner vs the cost of a homemade heated one kinda makes you see a waste of money.. its very cheap and easy to make one... but if you dont take your time, or you try to make it "easy" by weaving the wire, looks scary... works great, but the science fair project look makes people uneasy...

all that said, heres winter riding in a nutshell:

1. headcovering. you NEED this. you want this. goto any sporting goods store, and get something that looks like this:
its called a Balaclava or ski mask.
get a thin fleece or thermal one... I perfer the ones that have a swimsuit like fabric over the face...

zip your jacket only halfway. You pull it on, then put your helmet on.. tuck the neck part under your jacket, then zip the jacket the rest of the way up.
it becomes natural after a few times... not slow at all, and it makes a TON of diff..

2: gloves. get real winter motorcycle gloves... if they dont have an annoying inner liner, separate and unstitched from the outer windproof shell... they're not real winter motorcycle gloves. they kinda suck if you accident pull the liner out... so they kinda suck to take off until you get used to it... but they work amazing. any brand works.. whats more important is they fit your hands, have leather where it meets the grips (so they dont wear holes) and they are separate inner liner and outer shell stitched together only at the wrist.

3.. either make a jacket liner, or buy a jacket liner.

4. on the rear of the midfairing on a 08-11 CBR1k, is a shiny bolt. you can space out the fairing by slipping a spacer behind it under this bolt, and using a longer replacement bolt from a hardware store.. this kicks out the fairings and keeps your legs warmer. This concept works on some other bikes, but I only know how to do it on what ive owned....

5. worry about TIRES. your tires are cold. they're ALWAYS cold.. and they can slide SOOOO easy in the cold. be aware of the temp outside... you'll figure out soon enough at what temp your current tires are slick from cold, and what temp they're back to 'normal'.... for me, when the temp only old 2CTs got below about 55*.. they went to ice... ride like you're in the rain

6. if you're respecting #5... you'll get awesome MPG. lol.

Have fun. stay safe... and remember, if you're cold at all... you're doing something wrong. find the issue. fix it.... dont suffer and just suck it up.... enjoy the fact we dont have to deal with snow. lol

i really appreciat you taking your time to write all that and everyone for giving advise! i rode the bike to work the other night and we had a pretty harsh cold front, i work at a hospital and the sign said 38 degrees and my tires where hard as a rock. i road earlier it was misty out and in the mid 60's and i had m textile on withno liner and my underarmour hoodie on with th hood on unde my helmet and i was sweating at 60mph lol
mhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #19

Haha same this happens to me when I layer up, I jus can't win when riding in the cold.

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"
noahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman View Post
i really appreciat you taking your time to write all that and everyone for giving advise! i rode the bike to work the other night and we had a pretty harsh cold front, i work at a hospital and the sign said 38 degrees and my tires where hard as a rock. i road earlier it was misty out and in the mid 60's and i had m textile on withno liner and my underarmour hoodie on with th hood on unde my helmet and i was sweating at 60mph lol
no problem..
anyone that says "layers"... obviously doesnt live where we do.

you cant pack on layers when the weather is 60*+ during the day, and then 30s at night... where are you going to keep them during the day? no restaurant or store in the south has a coat rack.. etc. plus putting all that crap on when no one else has to, sucks.
it becomes a chore. a pain in the ass.

instead, dress to block the wind. that works all the way into the low 50s.. then turn on the vest for the rest of the time, and you're fine. its thin, lightweight, and you can toss the headcovering and gloves in your helmet... jacket isnt any bulkier.

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement