first year of cold riding : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
meowwww!

first year of cold riding

i need some advise guys. what do yal wear when its getting cold out? i live in fl so it doesnt go below 30's normally but its a nice humid, wet cold. what do you guys think about the heated jackets and whatnot? waste of money?
mhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

Heated gear is probably a waste for you. I'm in MS and our weather is not that much different. I usually wear no more than than a touring style jacket with liner and over pants and some good winter gloves. If its raining I like the First Gear one piece suit. The only complaint I have about that suit is that it has no armor. It is good for all day at 30 degrees. My biggest bitch about cold weather has always been shield fogging. I finally fixed that with the double pane AISIS shield for Arai. That thing works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Cold? ha, You're lucky to live and ride in Fl. Lol

No amount of money is a waste to be comfortable.
RW_Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

LAYERS

CMRA # 117
CBRyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

I don't ride below 30*F, not because I cannot stand the cold but because the tire rubber gets hard as a hockey puck and it's dangerous. I might as well be riding a Vespa.

As far as shield fogging, my Shoei helmet shields would fog up at anything below 50*F. I installed a Fog City shield insert and now I cannot even make it fog up if I try, no matter how cold it is. It works fantastic.

For temps down to 30*F I wear my usual textile armored jacket with a zip-in liner, high quality ski gloves and a chin guard to keep drafts from going up my helmet.
TedEbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

A neck gaiter really helps.
I got mine form Turtle Fur for around 10 bucks
Rocketj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman View Post
i need some advise guys. what do yal wear when its getting cold out? i live in fl so it doesnt go below 30's normally but its a nice humid, wet cold. what do you guys think about the heated jackets and whatnot? waste of money?
a having a heated jacket or jacket liner is not a waste... It turns winter riding (or any riding under about 50*) from a chore into a very simple, entertaining thing..
now, the cost of a store bought vest/jacket/liner vs the cost of a homemade heated one kinda makes you see a waste of money.. its very cheap and easy to make one... but if you dont take your time, or you try to make it "easy" by weaving the wire, looks scary... works great, but the science fair project look makes people uneasy...

all that said, heres winter riding in a nutshell:

1. headcovering. you NEED this. you want this. goto any sporting goods store, and get something that looks like this:
its called a Balaclava or ski mask.
get a thin fleece or thermal one... I perfer the ones that have a swimsuit like fabric over the face...

zip your jacket only halfway. You pull it on, then put your helmet on.. tuck the neck part under your jacket, then zip the jacket the rest of the way up.
it becomes natural after a few times... not slow at all, and it makes a TON of diff..

2: gloves. get real winter motorcycle gloves... if they dont have an annoying inner liner, separate and unstitched from the outer windproof shell... they're not real winter motorcycle gloves. they kinda suck if you accident pull the liner out... so they kinda suck to take off until you get used to it... but they work amazing. any brand works.. whats more important is they fit your hands, have leather where it meets the grips (so they dont wear holes) and they are separate inner liner and outer shell stitched together only at the wrist.

3.. either make a jacket liner, or buy a jacket liner.

4. on the rear of the midfairing on a 08-11 CBR1k, is a shiny bolt. you can space out the fairing by slipping a spacer behind it under this bolt, and using a longer replacement bolt from a hardware store.. this kicks out the fairings and keeps your legs warmer. This concept works on some other bikes, but I only know how to do it on what ive owned....

5. worry about TIRES. your tires are cold. they're ALWAYS cold.. and they can slide SOOOO easy in the cold. be aware of the temp outside... you'll figure out soon enough at what temp your current tires are slick from cold, and what temp they're back to 'normal'.... for me, when the temp only old 2CTs got below about 55*.. they went to ice... ride like you're in the rain

6. if you're respecting #5... you'll get awesome MPG. lol.

Have fun. stay safe... and remember, if you're cold at all... you're doing something wrong. find the issue. fix it.... dont suffer and just suck it up.... enjoy the fact we dont have to deal with snow. lol

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

This Is kinda off from what you've guys have been talkin about, but I baby my girl like no business. She's never had a mist of rain fall on her, she doesn't start the easiest in the cold so I've never thought about trying to ride through the season. What I'm getting at is, is it bad for your bike to be used in the harsh cold seasons? What effects would come from it that would cause damage?

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

Last edited by noahb; 11-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
noahb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb View Post
Really far off fro m what you've guys have been talkin about, but I baby my girl like no business. She's never had a most of rain fall on her, she doesn't start the easiest in the cold so I've never even thought about trying to ride through he season. What I'm getting at is, is it bad for your bike to be used in the harsh cold seasons? What effects would come from it that would cause damage?

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"
nothing.. except the fact the tires are harder, and the engine makes MORE power and is generally happier... so dont crash it.

if you're riding where the air temp is below freezing, you need antifreeze, and not just water wetter... other then that.... no diff.. it was designed to work just fine in this weather.

if the battery is borderline... obviously its harder to start in the cold.. since the battery is a chemical device and doesnt work as well when cold... still it should start just fine.

if you baby it... just dont leave it outside overnight.. as the dew falls and freezes into frost.. this can scratch the paint... no idea how, but I know it does... it makes it duller.

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #10

Maybe I'm just a sissy, but if it's below 40 I wear heated gear. I live in GA, so it doesn't get too cold here either.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement