Keeps missing third gear : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Keeps missing third gear

Hey guys. Had an issue this morning of my bike missing third when upshifting. When I would go from second to third it would still be in second and I'd have to do a quick double shift to 4th. Thought it was me this morning but on the way home it started doing it again.

I feel it engage then as I let the clutch out I feel it pop out as if it did grab third. At a slow speed it will go in most of the time and when I say slow I mean into third at 20 mph.

Oil level is full and the bike has 10k on it...I better not have a bad synchronizer/fork this early on. Anyone have a simular issue? Bike is a 2010 I looked in the search but only saw nutral issues or the N Light being on with the bike in gear.

Last edited by CBR1kWolf; 11-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
CBR1kWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Huge Member

if you push firmly with your foot and hold it there, does it eventually click into 3rd? or does it never go into 3rd, act like a second nutural, then go into 4th?

in either case, if its under warranty, take it to the dealer ASAP.. the problem with trans issues is you have to split the cases to look at it. you cant fix anything from the outside.

its possible for Honda to warranty you a brand new motor if you do have a trans issue.

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

If I push to down shift it hits every gear fine. If I am shifting up it's hit or miss except at a low speed. I will have to pull it myself if it comes down to it. I just don't want to split the case if it's something fucking stupid. This may be a long shot in the dark but I might adjust the shift rod before I go further. Start out simple and go from there. As to why 3rd would be doing this I dunno. I have never been hard on the bike except in 6th.

I am reluctant to go to the dealer here for various resons...as they don't have that good of a reputation around here. I had issues with them back in 2005 and then when I got this 2010 they were pushy for this and that. Even told me these bikes break down all the time and accoring to the staff the rims fucking bent over night sitting in the garage. Tell them you have a tans issue and they will try to sell front forks and a new helmet to you and blow off the tranny.

Last oil change I did use synthetic so I may switch back to GN4 to see before I get into the guts.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Know what...last week when I would start the bike up it would creep a little while in Nutral....dunno if that has something to do with it now. The Clutch cable is around 10 to 12mm on freeplay...I got no clue. Now as far as trying to creep that is possible from an over filled crank case. My level is to the line.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Ok I adjusted the link and by hand I can slide the fucking thing through the gears....I'll take the mother out soon... If the link was the issue as far as adjustment then I will be happy...if third is really fucking up...Imma be hard on this sumbitch! Hard as in Imma smack the bastered with a hammer going down the road!!! Goddammit take me back to 1986 when a Honda 50 Z was the bomb!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

What do you mean when you say you adjusted "the link"? Where the shift rod attaches to the gear shift?

CMRA # 117
CBRyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRyb View Post
What do you mean when you say you adjusted "the link"? Where the shift rod attaches to the gear shift?
yea, im pretty sure thats what he means..

what I dont get is this:
Quote:
by hand I can slide the fucking thing through the gears
uhh.. is that a "fucking good" thing, or a "its fucking broke" thing? from the context, I cant tell.

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #8

Bring it to Honda and they will test ride it!

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

It was the length of the link. Adjusted it after I wrote the post. On the frame there is a dimple or punch mark near the gear selecter. On mine any how. I drop the lever ...wanna say 1/2 an inch maybe a little more and rode around till 4:30 and it worked fine at high and low speed. As to why third would act up from that no clue. I can only wait to see if it starts to happen a littler further down the road. I set the bike to my preference the day I took it home 3 to 3.5 years ago and not once had it do this till yesterday.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

you need one of these

http://www.ryderclips.com/buy_shiftsocks.php

then you'll hit 3rd every time!
bionicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement