Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector

I am using a ProGrip tank pad from years ago. I bought two, in some stroke of wisdom, and the one currently on my CBR1000RR was in storage for years in my garage. When I got this latest CBR I was glad to be able to use the same comfortable pad that I had for years on my 929. Except that it's showing it's age, and degrading faster than normal.

I ordered foam floor tiles from FoamTiles.com. They will send you samples before you purchase. Not full size ones, but enough, actually, to make the tank pad from two pieces if I wanted. But I bought one black, one orange full size tiles and I'll decide when the time comes.

Now I have to find some type of adhesive (silicone?) or double-sided tape to keep it on. And make a cut that will allow it to bend over the tank and not buckle. I'm bummed that the only tank pads available now are the thin, clear ones that look like they're modeled after the Alien. I searched all over but I can't find the nice fat ProGrip one anymore. If you spend a lot of time down on your tank, like I do in cold weather, or on long rides, a plush tank protector is nice to have.

Hopefully I can do a good job with these floor tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-foamtiles.jpg  
Yoshi R-77 full, SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail kit/Throttlemeister/CRG Spectrum Roll-A-Click shawtys/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Carbone Lorraine brakes/Spiegler braided lines (orange)/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod
FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Repsol 4T Racing 3L oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

Ummmm, Tech Spec

CMRA # 117
CBRyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
JM1

Not sure these people do exactly what you're after, but maybe worth a look...
http://www.htmoto.us/store/p/449-HON...-Traction.aspx
JM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

I feel like I'm missing something...what's the point of having a cushy tank protector? It's a fuel tank, not a couch...?
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #5

Floor tiles on a bike....seriously? Don't sit against the tank too much....the bike will handle better if you adjust your position more backwards. Use your upper body to transfer weight to the front.
Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRyb View Post
Ummmm, Tech Spec
I love Tech Spec although they may not necessarily fit your need for soft. They are thicker than most.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #7

Floor tiles on a bike... seriously?

Oh of course, forgive me! That's so wildly silly. Not artistic, or even practical... like fur.

The Tech-Spec web page has got some good stuff, BTW. Thanks for the suggestion!

I lay down on the tank all the time. When it's COLD, when I'm TIRED, when I go long distances with the Throttlemeister... pretty much whenever I feel like it. I routinely lock the throttle, fold my arms and lay down when there's minimal or no threat from other vehicles. I also snug up to the tank close and low at very high speeds.

Do you people RIDE your bikes? Or just play Valentino Rossi for 5 mins at a clip?

The tank IS an effective little "couch", in case you have never tried. And the floor tile is gonna be cool because I can cut it to fit - from the seat all the way up to the filler cap. I'll have a very cushy, durable padded comfort zone, especially on top where it will do a lot of good. I hit road knuckles the size of speed bumps all the time, and at night you can't always see them coming. A cushy tank pad takes some of the jolt out of those hits.

As for your advice about body position and handling, imagine for a second that sometimes I'm just RIDING, and not going balls-out trying to pass as many people as humanly possible before the off ramp.

Then there's the economy of making my own pad. Look at the size of one piece of high-tech foam you can buy for $5. And then go to TechSpec and look at what they provide for $35.

Also... the aesthetic. Look at the checkering on the foam. That's a very cool texture. I don't think the "Alien" plastic things look much better. The orange is a poor color match though. Looks like black it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-floor_tiles.jpg   Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-black_checkering.jpg  

Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-orange_checkering.jpg  
Yoshi R-77 full, SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail kit/Throttlemeister/CRG Spectrum Roll-A-Click shawtys/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Carbone Lorraine brakes/Spiegler braided lines (orange)/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod
FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Repsol 4T Racing 3L oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #8

It took 45 mins of rubbing with Goo-Gone to get the old adhesive off the Repsol tank cover. Maybe THAT'S why ProGrip doesn't make that pad anymore... the adhesive is nearly impossible to remove.

I cut the foam out after taking some measurements, and using a CD to help with the curves. I'm no artisan, that's for sure.

I cleaned it up with 50/50 alcohol and water, and did the same to the underside of the foam. Then strips of 3M 20lb outdoor mounting tape, and some heat gun action to warm it all up - and BAM! Just about the ugliest tank pad I've ever seen. Ha!

But... I think if I do it over in 1/2" thickness, it will look much better. No doubt I'll ride it for awhile like this, but when it starts to come off (which I'm sure it will) I'll order the 1/2" tile and try again. But it is comfortable!
Attached Thumbnails
Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-tanktile02.jpg   Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-tanktile03.jpg  

Hard to find a thick, soft tank protector-yeccch.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Living for the Burn..

I was searching around for the ol' school style Pro-Grip one, which brought me to this thread. Wish I could find one of the old ones, those things worked the best.
KELEVRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

No comment!

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement