Weird noise.. - Page 2 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Motul chain clean & Dupont Teflon Chain Saver here.

OP - It sounds like you need to keep up on your chain maintenance a little more (?), there's plenty of advice floating around on the 'net and on the message board about "how to" clean/lube and "how often" to clean/lube.

No matter what "method" you select, pick out a service schedule that fits YOUR riding needs and stick to it so your chain and sprockets will be happy.
-Leo Vince SBK Oval EVOII Carbon #7949
-Bazzaz Z-Bomb -PC-V -K&N air filter
-ECV/servo motor delete & pdfruth's ESRM
-Flapper Delete (click ME for "how to" pics!)
-Volt HID H7 bulbs -Clear Stompgrips
-HRC solo rear cowl -HRC carbon fiber tank pad
-Honda Energy Seat -Yoshimura FE

-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the great advice guys. Cobra i definitely haven't kept up on the maintenance and will make a conscious effort to do so from now on, thank you

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #13

So its from chain, not from the wheel?

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GligorovDimce View Post
So its from chain, not from the wheel?
So far that seems to be where the sound is coming from...heading to pep boys to grab some chain oil since my online order is lagging...Will keep ya'll updated on the problem after i lube and maintain my chain lol...How's you're situation? Did you fix your noise issue?

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I have always used WD-40 with no problems.
WD-40 is an excellent water dispersal (hence the "WD" part) and grease/grime buster since it contains solvents; I use it to clean my chain after a ride (although I prefer mineral spirits). However, as a pure chain lubricant it comes up short. You need something a little thicker that stays in the nooks and crannies to lubricate the o-rings. There is a good selection of specific o-ring chain lubes on the market. I prefer Maxima Chain Wax myself.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by d207gp View Post
WD-40 is an excellent water dispersal (hence the "WD" part) and grease/grime buster since it contains solvents; I use it to clean my chain after a ride (although I prefer mineral spirits). However, as a pure chain lubricant it comes up short. You need something a little thicker that stays in the nooks and crannies to lubricate the o-rings. There is a good selection of specific o-ring chain lubes on the market. I prefer Maxima Chain Wax myself.
Thanks for the tips, was planning on using gasoline as the degreaser LOL but will pick up an extra bottle of wd40

~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
Lifetime Premium

Alright guys i cleaned the hell out of the chain and the back sprocket and lubed it as well...the noise definitely toned down by a lot, but still a faint scratching/scraping noise coming from the bike...guess its better than nothing...ill clean my brakes and rotors this weekend hopefully that'll be the end of it. thanks for all the advice/support folks <3

~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #18

Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #19

i've used a multitude of different cleaners and lubes. usually i get 12-15k out of a chain.

one of the guys on another forum recommended just using wd-40 period. this last chain swap i switched over to just it myself.

i've noticed the chain does not pick up near as much grit and grime between services when i just use wd-40. in fact it is so little i have to remind myself to service it. rim stays really clean, etc...

jury is still out on the life expectancy of the chain just using the wd-40 but i have noted the change in my service log.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyco_honda View Post
i've used a multitude of different cleaners and lubes. usually i get 12-15k out of a chain.

one of the guys on another forum recommended just using wd-40 period. this last chain swap i switched over to just it myself.

i've noticed the chain does not pick up near as much grit and grime between services when i just use wd-40. in fact it is so little i have to remind myself to service it. rim stays really clean, etc...

jury is still out on the life expectancy of the chain just using the wd-40 but i have noted the change in my service log.
Sweet i'll keep that in mind

~ The Weight of Glory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement