Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Weird noise..

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr. Gimmie 
#1 ·
Guys i was driving in the canyons and noticed a weird noise every time i made a left turn. As i enter a turn i push down on the left peg with my toes and tilt my head towards the left mirror and notice a weird scraping/scratching noise, but dont notice the sound when making right turns....its an odd noise too soft to be a crazy scratch noise and too loud to be just moving parts...any idea what it could be? I'm scared to take turns fast now....

-could it be the engine? (sounds very similar to engine winding..)
-sounds more like my peg scrapping against the chain...
-Am i just being paranoid?

#2 ·
Now thats strange, check brake pads or chain.
I have strange noise comming up on deacceleration from front wheel.braking or no,pressed clutch or no,gear or neutral noise is there. Will check again sunday.my front tire pressure was 34 and i am heavy guy.i am 270 lbs

#3 ·
Had a long ride yesterday and the sound is still there, sounds like a metal scrapping against something, done a lot of research and i highly doubt its the wheel bearing (apparently they're suppose to last a LONG time) my bike only has about 1500 miles on it....Noise only coming from left side (guessing front end) Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :whyme:

#5 ·
Im gonna check it out this weekend...unfortunately i work and get off in the evening by that time its too dark and cold to inspect anything...im going to get to the bottom of this soon enough :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Grease your chain every 300 miles. You should clean it when you see that its dirty. That's what I do. You have to keep the O rings lubed so they don't dry out.

#9 ·
Thanks sneakerhead! Recommend any brand name?

#10 ·
Purple power, gas or any heavy duty degreaser will work, dawn dish soap... Use the grunge brush? Not sure if that's what it's called, basically it's made for cleaning chains. Don't pressure wash the chain as it can ruin o-rings... As far as chain lube everyone has there own preference. I have always used WD-40 with no problems. I try and spray on every time I ride. It worked awesome on all my dirt bikes and those chains see some mud!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
I have always used WD-40 with no problems.
WD-40 is an excellent water dispersal (hence the "WD" part) and grease/grime buster since it contains solvents; I use it to clean my chain after a ride (although I prefer mineral spirits). However, as a pure chain lubricant it comes up short. You need something a little thicker that stays in the nooks and crannies to lubricate the o-rings. There is a good selection of specific o-ring chain lubes on the market. I prefer Maxima Chain Wax myself.

#11 ·
Motul chain clean & Dupont Teflon Chain Saver here.

OP - It sounds like you need to keep up on your chain maintenance a little more (?), there's plenty of advice floating around on the 'net and on the message board about "how to" clean/lube and "how often" to clean/lube.

No matter what "method" you select, pick out a service schedule that fits YOUR riding needs and stick to it so your chain and sprockets will be happy. :)

#12 ·
Thanks for the great advice guys. Cobra i definitely haven't kept up on the maintenance and will make a conscious effort to do so from now on, thank you :)

#14 ·
So far that seems to be where the sound is coming from...heading to pep boys to grab some chain oil since my online order is lagging...Will keep ya'll updated on the problem after i lube and maintain my chain lol...How's you're situation? Did you fix your noise issue?

#17 ·
Alright guys i cleaned the hell out of the chain and the back sprocket and lubed it as well...the noise definitely toned down by a lot, but still a faint scratching/scraping noise coming from the bike...guess its better than nothing...ill clean my brakes and rotors this weekend hopefully that'll be the end of it. thanks for all the advice/support folks <3

#19 ·
i've used a multitude of different cleaners and lubes. usually i get 12-15k out of a chain.

one of the guys on another forum recommended just using wd-40 period. this last chain swap i switched over to just it myself.

i've noticed the chain does not pick up near as much grit and grime between services when i just use wd-40. in fact it is so little i have to remind myself to service it. rim stays really clean, etc...

jury is still out on the life expectancy of the chain just using the wd-40 ;) but i have noted the change in my service log.

#20 ·
Sweet i'll keep that in mind :th_salute:

#21 ·
#24 ·
The chain is clean and the noise is somewhat gone...but i was cleaning my brakes as i had my bike on stands (both front and back). I noticed that when i spun my front wheel, it made a scrapping noise (pretty light) as it was spinning, im guessing its somewhat touching my front break pad..(im under the assumption that its normal...yes??)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.