Weird noise.. : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Lifetime Premium

Question Weird noise..

Guys i was driving in the canyons and noticed a weird noise every time i made a left turn. As i enter a turn i push down on the left peg with my toes and tilt my head towards the left mirror and notice a weird scraping/scratching noise, but dont notice the sound when making right turns....its an odd noise too soft to be a crazy scratch noise and too loud to be just moving parts...any idea what it could be? I'm scared to take turns fast now....

-could it be the engine? (sounds very similar to engine winding..)
-sounds more like my peg scrapping against the chain...
-Am i just being paranoid?

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #2

Now thats strange, check brake pads or chain.
I have strange noise comming up on deacceleration from front wheel.braking or no,pressed clutch or no,gear or neutral noise is there. Will check again sunday.my front tire pressure was 34 and i am heavy guy.i am 270 lbs

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Lifetime Premium

Had a long ride yesterday and the sound is still there, sounds like a metal scrapping against something, done a lot of research and i highly doubt its the wheel bearing (apparently they're suppose to last a LONG time) my bike only has about 1500 miles on it....Noise only coming from left side (guessing front end) Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

open the cover for the front sprocket and check that.did you put to much lube.
can you put bike and stands and try than?

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GligorovDimce View Post
open the cover for the front sprocket and check that.did you put to much lube.
can you put bike and stands and try than?
Im gonna check it out this weekend...unfortunately i work and get off in the evening by that time its too dark and cold to inspect anything...im going to get to the bottom of this soon enough

~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Im gonna check it out this weekend...unfortunately i work and get off in the evening by that time its too dark and cold to inspect anything...im going to get to the bottom of this soon enough
let me know what you have found out!

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GligorovDimce View Post
let me know what you have found out!
Alright so i just put my bike on a front and rear stand and then rode 1st gear...seems like the chain is making the scrapping noise....ive only lubed the chain once since i purchased the bike at 350miles...im curious how often do you usually lube and clean your chain? also...what brand degreaser/oil chain do you use?

~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Lifetime Premium

Grease your chain every 300 miles. You should clean it when you see that its dirty. That's what I do. You have to keep the O rings lubed so they don't dry out.
SNEAKERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Lifetime Premium

Thanks sneakerhead! Recommend any brand name?

~ The Weight of Glory
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #10

Purple power, gas or any heavy duty degreaser will work, dawn dish soap... Use the grunge brush? Not sure if that's what it's called, basically it's made for cleaning chains. Don't pressure wash the chain as it can ruin o-rings... As far as chain lube everyone has there own preference. I have always used WD-40 with no problems. I try and spray on every time I ride. It worked awesome on all my dirt bikes and those chains see some mud!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement