08 Dirt In Airbox - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

08 Dirt In Airbox

Hey, I was getting around to checking the air filter on my 08 for the first time and noticed that there is a little bit of dust in the air box after the air filter? Is there a known point of common leakage at all on these? I bought the bike new so this is the first time it has been opened. The filter looked like it was seated properly. The air filter isn't too dirty but will definitely be replacing it and probably put a little grease around the edges of the new one for good measure. Anything else you guys would recommend?

08 CBR1000RR
03 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM

BUMP.

Dirt or dust on the clean side of the airbox is not a good sign. I, too, would like to know if there are any known issues with air filter sealing.

Also...
If you are using a K&N filter or other type of oiled gauze air filter, then dust on the clean side is expected. They do not filter well, and performance gains from "increased air flow" or "lower restriction" are marketing hype.

2012 CBR1000rr
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
SRM

I think your issue may be a result of having the same filter in there for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Marine 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
I think your issue may be a result of having the same filter in there for 5 years.

+1

2008 1k
3 tone Chameleon paint Purple/Green/Charcoal
Yosh Case Savers
-Oil Cap
-Triple Tree Stem
-Timing Cover
Renthal Soft Grips
Puig Smoked Screen
Vortex Block Offs
DDM hids
Custom Stitched Corbin Seat
Shogun Sliders
Hotbodies F/E
Smoked Tail Light
Galfer S Braided Lines F/B
Galfer Pads
Flapper Mod
PCV w/Custom Dyno
Bazzaz Z-Bomb
Arrow GP2 Slip on
ASV Shortys
Honda CF Gas Cover
CRG 2" Bar Mirror
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyz View Post
Hey, I was getting around to checking the air filter on my 08 for the first time and noticed that there is a little bit of dust in the air box after the air filter? Is there a known point of common leakage at all on these? I bought the bike new so this is the first time it has been opened. The filter looked like it was seated properly. The air filter isn't too dirty but will definitely be replacing it and probably put a little grease around the edges of the new one for good measure. Anything else you guys would recommend?
How many miles on that filter? I've found on most bikes about 5 to 6 thousand is about it before they start getting pretty filthy. Shouldn't be suckin dirt though, just starts plugging up and you lose power and throttle response.

Check the clean side of the filter for dirt penetration, if there is none then check the airbox seals. I have o-rings on my '07 that seal the lid onto the airbox and they do take a compression set.

2012 CBR 1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2007 CBR 1000RR Red/Black
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX1300C Candy Red

"For we walk by faith and not by sight" II Corinthians 5:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page