Ooops i did it again! 2nd crash!! : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

Ooops i did it again! 2nd crash!!

So less than a month after getting my bike fixed after a cager ran into me, i crashed again this sunday.

Pretty bad one this time round, had a late night partying with friends on saturday night, slept four hours and woke up with a hangover & decided to go on a sunday ride to the twisties (big mistake).

Had a couple of close calls just before the crash, couldn't focus properly & hold my line as i wasn't feeling well. Had the rear end step out as well on one occasion. Should've just called it a day right there & then but i decided to go on.

So i hit this S shaped curve, fast left-hander that immediately goes into a tight right turn. Managed to make the left turn but on the right hander i sort of panicked when i saw how close i was getting to the guard rail, target-fixated & ended up hitting the concrete rail on the stator side.

I flew over the bars & landed on my right shoulder, ended up dislocating the AC joint. Was fully geared up so that was the only injury i suffered, other than the major bruise to my ego.

Bike is fucked up big time, both fairings & tail are toast, leo vince evo exhaust is toast, right footrest, clip-on & mirror broke. The impact also completely ripped open the stator cover down to where the bolts mount in the engine.

Friend was right behind me & he barely managed to miss hitting me & my bike. So know i'm looking at some major repair bills (no insurance) & also my wife has given me the 'it's me or the bike' speech. Funny thing is a couple of newbie rider friends who consider me a good twisties rider, were asking me for tips right before. Who knew the guy giving the tips would be going down himself a little later!

As i was being driven to the hospital i had thoughts of giving up on this hobby altogether. Thought of my two year old son & my wife & how i easily could've gone over the guard rail & down the mountain. So i'm thinking of repairing the bike and selling it & taking a break for now. Don't know how long it will be for but i'm pretty scared of getting back on after experiencing how things can go wrong in a split second. It's a deadly passion we all share so be careful out there guys.

Lesson learned: Never get on the bike when you're not feeling a 100% & please wear all your gear all the time!

Getafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Ex-Everything

Wife and kid really need to be more important at this point. Hope you heal up quickly.

2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Mods: Lots of track days and large testicles
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but then again, you might be lucky to still be around bud. Glad your ok!

This is a dangerous sport for sure. Wear your gear and be careful our there!
RW_Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #4

glad to see you're honest with yourself and us. thats how we all learn and grow.

heal up quickly my friend!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Captain Awesome

Yep, way to man up. Glad ur ok dude
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #6

Sorry to hear about your 2 crashes back to back. I went thru similar situation back in late 2007 & early 2008. Had 2 crashes months apart. Yes I did sell my F4i after the second crash, but couldn't resist the temptation of riding, so had to buy the RC51. Long story short, I got the 1000RR track bike too and this past season I rode 90% track on 1KRR (track) and 10% on RC51 (street). So, even though you can never say it's a safe sport, it is whole lot safer on the track. So you may want to think about converting that bike into a track bike, it's an expensive hobby, but satisfying at the same time.
1998 Honda CBR F3 (Sold)
Gunn IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

I have a wife and two kids, a cat and a jumbo mortgage and I still ride! Don't use it as an excuse, what you need to focus on is not getting on when you're in no shape to ride.

As they say there are two types of riders, those that have gone down and those that are going down. Chalk up the first two crashes as learning experiences and make sure you don't repeat your mistakes.
rav_in_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Glad to hear you're ok, sorry about everything else, I'm just curious on where did the accident happen?
SamRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

it is hard for me to say too much due to only having one real crash, but i would consider getting a different type of bike all together.

race replicas are cool as hell. and though i have never rode a litre bike i feel that there must be a ton of fun with them in MANY ways. but to ride a motorcycle with no traction control and this much power you MUST be on your game.

maybe you should look into some of the adventure touring bikes that have traction control or maybe something else that features traction control. i know that it may seem like a cop-out, but being safer is a better option. also most bikes that have traction also have ABS.

the way that i look at it is this: i am a husband first and a rider second. being safer on the bike is a simple no-brainer for me.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #10

i got out for 12-15 years after a scare, sold my zx10, bought a 68 rs 327 camaro.

just couldn't take it any longer. felt more mature. sold the camaro and bought a 600rr then the 1000rr.

only regret? wish i had the camaro back
Advertisement