Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

First Sevice, I thought its more than an oil change.

4K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  buzzboy 
#1 ·
I hit pass 600 miles today, so i went to the dealership for its first service. I went to the dealer because i thought that the first service is critical. If i knew it was just going to be an oil change I couldve done it myself. They didnt even lubricate the chains. Any thoughts? how did your guy's first 600 mile service go? what was included?

#2 ·
LOL sucks champ i was planning on taking mine to the dealership until i researched what they do at the 600 mile service, and quickly learned that the "stealership" just takes your money....

But... i have heard that they are suppose to check bolts (loosens due to vibration), check valves (might need adjusting), lube chain, change oil and oil filter, tire pressure and top and check fluids..

#16 ·
As w/ my 2008 600rr, I did the 600 mile 'check up' + oil change myself. F*ck a dealer and their $85/hour labor.
$85 is cheap, some stealerships want well over $100/hour out here in CA. I've always performed all my own servicing (save more involved things like valves and TB synching, which sometimes requires specialized tools); oil change, air filter, lubrication/adjustment of drivechain, etc. I have a Marc Parnes wheel balancer but as of yet no bead breaker or other tire changing equipment. That comes next.

#14 ·
I did my homework and did what the manual said. it covers everything that needs to be checked. and check the chart inside the owners manual. it helps u keep track of things. plus I dont want to spend more than I should as u can see this was sent from a free app lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#15 ·
+1 :th_SmlyROFL:

#17 ·
You know how much they asked me to change my chain and sprockets at honda dealer? 400 bucks plust tax for parts and labor! I said,how much? He repeats the same price.he says thats the price for oem chain and sprocket.and then i email Brad from superbike supply, just i need to call him these days, but my pick up truck broke down so that will eat some money and time, so the call to Brad will be next week!

#18 ·
First service on new Hondas has to be done by a dealer even thought the SUCK! Its a warranty thing with Honda and a money makere im sure.

I dropped $150 for a change I could have done for $60 myself but I had no choice. Im a DIY person so the dealer does not see my bike anymore I do all my maintenance, unless there is a warranty issue.

#19 ·
Really? They void your warranty if you dont have them service your bike?!!! WHAAAAA!!!

#31 ·
Doing your own service doesn't void your factory warranty, but it can happen...

The 600 mile service is mainly an inspection:
-Engien Idle Speed
-Brakes and Clutch System
-Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners
-Steering Head Bearings
-Drive Chain
-Replace Oil/Oil Filter

You can do this yourself and not void the warranty. If you take your bike to a dealership with a warranty issue they shouldn't say anything. If after the bike has been evaluated Honda asks for service records, this is the critical part.

If you do your own work on your bike you should keep a record of what was done, dates, miles, and the reciept of replaced items.

If you don't have these records and Honda request them from the dealership, then you could have your warranty voided. (So if Honda doesn't ask for records there shouldn't be an issue)

#42 ·
[/QUOTE]IcedTEE89: "Now about the first service. I personally do every single thing in the service manual for a 600 mile service including adjusting valves, chain tension, checking timing, oil change, top all fluids off and more. It just depends on the shops integrity. We also charge $98/hr. Ridiculous, I know. Especially when I only make $10.50/hr."

If your a Kawasaki/Yamaha mechanic you should know, NO Japanese in-line four cylinder sport bike engine calls for a valve clearance inspection, let alone an adjustment at 600 miles!

#43 ·
If your a Kawasaki/Yamaha mechanic you should know, NO Japanese in-line four cylinder sport bike engine calls for a valve clearance inspection, let alone an adjustment at 600 miles!
Exactly what I was thinking. I know my 08 maintenance schedule doesn't say a thing about valve inspection or adjustment until 16,000 miles. Things like this is why I do all of my own scheduled maintenance and keep all receipts.

#46 ·
Ran into a guy recently approaching his 600 mile service, and he asked my advice on a good shop for his first service. I told him to change the oil, check the basics and save the $400 he was quoted. I caught a thread in this forum a few years ago that saved me $300 for my first service. I was outraged knowing they basically just changed the oil and torque the bolts. It felt good to passing the info on to the next guy before it was too late...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.