Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Who does and who dosn't??

4K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  ducpilot 
#1 ·
So here is it is..

When riding who use's there clutch every gear change up and down??

I only use the clutch when coming to a complete stop or leaving from a dead stop and no other time if I want to change gears I just back off the throttle just a little bit and all is good..

Is it going to damage the gearbox if I keep doing this??

#4 ·
Wow really?

So...i can ride the engine to rev limiter let off throttle and quickly shift up and get back on the throttle without damaging the tran?

#5 ·
Mostly clutch on up and down shifts. There have been a few instances where I went from 2nd up clutchless while racing with a few friends. Rarely do any clutchless downshifting...usually when I'm coming down gears, I stopping, so I sometimes drop 2 gears at a time and allow engine braking to help slow me down.

#9 ·
:dazed052: this is news to me, i've driven stick my whole life, and on some occasions have "power shifted" but never on a bike...LOL i need to try this :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I guess i figured they had good reason to include a clutch lever on the new cbr, so i use it.

#30 ·
#11 ·
I bought a quickshifter from SBS and it was certainly one of the best purchases I've ever made for any motorcycle. And it does seem to help with downshifts as well. That could be placebo though.

Even before the QS I hated to pull the clutch. Once you train yourself to not use the clutch it's rather simple and seems to keep me more in tune with the bike. Which is also placebo probably.

Certainly can't chastise anyone for using the clutch though. If you miss a clutchless shift it feels like you've f*cked something up. But I've done it dozens of times with no issues on any bike I've owned.

#14 ·
When you're going down just nail it down through the box with the clutch in, then let it out and assuming you're on the brakes hard the slipper will take up the slack and you'll get minimal snaking of the rear end.

When to change to the GP shift pattern will become apparent on the track soon enough... when you're fully cranked left and need to snick another gear it means you can do it, rather than not having the room between the track and the gear lever (for your foot!). On the road you'll never ever need it, and if you do you're probably leaving very little in reserve to deal with crap/gravel/diesel/cows so it's unlikely it'll be a problem for long :D

#17 ·
You won't miss it mate, I've only needed it when I've been going like a bat out of hell on a 2 stroke 250 round a long left sweeper.

If you have an 08+ you have a slipper, it's just not super flash like the Sigma etc ones. It's still a riot to use though :D

#16 ·
while without the QS I used it for up and downshifts, dont want to mess my trany
with QS only for downshifts...

when I dint have the QS for my first 2 track days, my hand was cramping just past half day.... love that QS shyt :D

#20 ·
I'm not convinced clutchless shifts are very hard on the bike if done correctly. I've owned three liter bikes and not had one issue with any clutches. Even the 08 CBR that had the clutch recall, had zero issues. Once you start doing them, you'll never even think about the clutch when shifting. It will seem like too much effort. haha serioiusly

I'm not trying to start shit here and it's all personal preference for sure

#24 ·
Use the clutch on all my bikes except the BMW S1000RR......manual specifically says not to use the Q/S on downshifts....... but the full throttle upshifts are great!:thumbsup:

#25 ·
I love using my clutch every shift up or down, if there is a bike that comes without it, I would never get it. it's a great feeling to go through gears with the clutch, for downshifting, I would hold it down, and feel the engine braking as I let go, it's me though that's IMO. I also like extra to-do operational stuff, ie I use killswitch everytime and turn my headlights on after starting the bike and off after I killswitch it. :popcorn2: ... lol

#31 ·
I only use it on downshifts, along with a little rev match to make it smooth as butter. I have a bazzaz zfi TC/QS now, but I did it before I had the quick shift as well. Just ease off of the throttle to take the load off of the trans, and shift it up. If you get it right it's smoother than using the clutch.

#33 ·
After 2 tranny rebuilds on my 06 I believe chutchless upshifting does tear up the tranny. I always use the clutch on downshifts.

Save yourself some headache and get a quickshifter.

#34 ·
Using a quick shifter on upshifts is no different than not using the clutch..... The only difference is that the QS controls your "throttle blip" between shifts.

Sent from my M886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.