2005 1000RR VS 2004 GSXR 1000 - Page 7 - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 74 Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
d207gp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bay Area NorCal
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.america View Post
You seem to be wasting time quoting me and posting off topic.
I'd sooner post off topic rather than spout clueless drivel like you seem to enjoy doing. Apparently most of the board agrees with the later viewpoint.

"Junior," that's rich. I'm probably older than you are.

Charlie, We don't want tuna with good taste. We want tuna that tastes good, smells good and puts out.
d207gp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Tadao Baba Fan
 
capt.america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Island
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by d207gp View Post
I'd sooner post off topic rather than spout clueless drivel like you seem to enjoy doing. Apparently most of the board agrees with the later viewpoint.

"Junior," that's rich. I'm probably older than you are.
If you say so you off topic posting troll. Riding since you were hangin in your father's nutsack.


If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the f@ckin' porch.
capt.america is offline  
post #63 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Beantown Member
 
Miked617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.america View Post
Riding since you were hangin in your father's nutsack.
Miked617 is offline  
post #64 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Roxy1000RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 184
OK So I have a question, does changing your overall gearing really make that big of an acceleration difference?

This is why I ask, from a mathematical perspective, I understand that with a gearing change you're allowing the engine to rev-out faster, however you are also shortening each gear's effective speed window.

So yes it feels like your accelerating faster, as the rev's are building faster than at stock gearing, but the speed that gear takes you to, is slower than a bike with stock gearing. So if you are accelerating a little faster, it is up to a slower speed...

Now in mid-range roll-on, I can see a geared bike pulling ahead of a stocker (getting into it's powerband quicker), until both bikes are in their top-end powerbands, then they'd be even again.

ALSO: If you're really looking to compare bikes performance, dont do a 'up-through-the gears-race'. Try a 6th gear roll-on side-by-side at highway speeds. That takes out any variable of rider skill, shifting-speed, etc. Its just a straight acceleration/dyno-pull side by side. I've done this many times with my '091KRR vs. other bikes. And its cool to see the different power-bands come on at different times.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

- Jonny D
Roxy1000RR is offline  
post #65 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Book's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 356
Cbr by far
Book is offline  
post #66 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Marine 24/7
 
Felony RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OC
Posts: 2,472
I suggest you start the race on his right side and when your race does start, hit his kill switch.... You'll win every time!!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

2008 1k
3 tone Chameleon paint Purple/Green/Charcoal
Yosh Case Savers
-Oil Cap
-Triple Tree Stem
-Timing Cover
Renthal Soft Grips
Puig Smoked Screen
Vortex Block Offs
DDM hids
Custom Stitched Corbin Seat
Shogun Sliders
Hotbodies F/E
Smoked Tail Light
Galfer S Braided Lines F/B
Galfer Pads
Flapper Mod
PCV w/Custom Dyno
Bazzaz Z-Bomb
Arrow GP2 Slip on
ASV Shortys
Honda CF Gas Cover
CRG 2" Bar Mirror
Felony RR is offline  
post #67 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Junior Member
 
slimBjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Who won?

Sent from Mt. Olympus
slimBjones is offline  
post #68 of 74 Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Tadao Baba Fan
 
capt.america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Island
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy1000RR View Post
OK So I have a question, does changing your overall gearing really make that big of an acceleration difference?

This is why I ask, from a mathematical perspective, I understand that with a gearing change you're allowing the engine to rev-out faster, however you are also shortening each gear's effective speed window.

So yes it feels like your accelerating faster, as the rev's are building faster than at stock gearing, but the speed that gear takes you to, is slower than a bike with stock gearing. So if you are accelerating a little faster, it is up to a slower speed...

Now in mid-range roll-on, I can see a geared bike pulling ahead of a stocker (getting into it's powerband quicker), until both bikes are in their top-end powerbands, then they'd be even again.

ALSO: If you're really looking to compare bikes performance, dont do a 'up-through-the gears-race'. Try a 6th gear roll-on side-by-side at highway speeds. That takes out any variable of rider skill, shifting-speed, etc. Its just a straight acceleration/dyno-pull side by side. I've done this many times with my '091KRR vs. other bikes. And its cool to see the different power-bands come on at different times.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??
That's all this thread is about and you get the drift by your post. Not the case with some tools on here. To answer your question, IMO (I'm ready flametards) from a 45mph roll the geared bike (-1), already turning about 8000 in1st gear will not get enough of a jump to outrun stock gearing in anything over 1/8 mi.


If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the f@ckin' porch.
capt.america is offline  
post #69 of 74 Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Cocky_Nyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 148
If u are racing a longer distance than a 1/8 or 1/4 mile u want 2 stay in your peak hp for a longer period of time. So when u gear the bike u speed thru your revs...
That gsxr is good for all 180-183 with -1 but must have a Ivans TRE

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cocky_Nyce is offline  
post #70 of 74 Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Tadao Baba Fan
 
capt.america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Island
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky_Nyce View Post
If u are racing a longer distance than a 1/8 or 1/4 mile u want 2 stay in your peak hp for a longer period of time. So when u gear the bike u speed thru your revs...
That gsxr is good for all 180-183 with -1 but must have a Ivans TRE

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
From a 45 mph roll you'll cover the 1/8 in about 3-4 seconds. If that's some peoples idea of a race that's cool but around here we run a little longer and faster. Stock gearing wins EVERY time at those distances.)


If you can't run with the big dogs,
stay on the f@ckin' porch.
capt.america is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome