Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Fireblade 2013 - Thumping on bumps

19K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  06HondaCBR1000RR 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,
my new Blade makes a strange noise from front (something like a plastic tick) when driving on bumps.
It seems fairings parts hit themselves on the tank cover or the air ducts or the plastic parts around the dashboard/flyscreen, but I heard this noise could be due to the extension of the Showa BPF.
Any suggestion?

P.S. I'm Italian and my English is very very poor!

#29 ·
Clicking

So recently my bike started to click when slowing down to a stop. At first I thought it was little stones hitting the front tire hugger, but that not it. The front hugger has been cracked for about a year and that cant be it.
Could it need new brake pads? The discs/rotors seem smooth, so nothing seems to be hitting them(as far as I can tell).
The bike seems to click under 40 mph down to 10 mph. It don't do it when increasing speed, just when decreasing.

Any help would be great.

#5 ·
I have noticed the same 'click' sound when going over bumps. To me it sounds like the steering head tapping on it bearings.

I know mines tight, I've recently torqued the steering head stem down to factory specs.

Doesn't really bother me this noise, I kind of like it.

#6 ·
Could also be brake pads moving just enough in the calipers. It happens.

Also, the only time you reach full extension over bumps is when your road speed is high enough to get some air beneath that front tire.

#7 ·
Front fender!
Brake pads!
Clutch lever!
Brake lever!
Intake ducts,
Intake flapper doors!
Triple tree!
Windscreen!
Lower cowl connection!
And the list can go on and on.
You need to lift front end and front tire in air, and grab it and shake it and hit the bottom of tire with rubber hammer.turn the handles and check.
Step by step.

#8 ·
Front fender!
Brake pads!
Clutch lever!
Brake lever!
Intake ducts,
Intake flapper doors!
Triple tree!
Windscreen!
Lower cowl connection!
And the list can go on and on.
You need to lift front end and front tire in air, and grab it and shake it and hit the bottom of tire with rubber hammer.turn the handles and check.
Step by step.
Thank's for your suggestions.
Could you please exlplain me the underlined part of you post?
Thank you in advance

P.S. steering has been tightened by Honda mechanic last week but it didn't solve the problem.
Nobody heard the reason of this tapping is Showa BPF? An Italian guy has the same problem whit his 2013 Blade and he told me it's due to the fork...I've also found posts talking about this noise on the Gixxer and Ninja forum in order to bikes whit BPF

#24 ·
Hi guys,
thumping issue hasn't been fixed.
The Dealer says probably is due to the BPF forks and in fact many peaople whith Ninjas and Gixxers mounting this kind of suspensions have the same noise.
BTW I've sent a technical info request to Honda Italia and I'm waitinig to recive an answer.
However I love my Blade every day more, and I'm going to post a pic with Leo Vince slip-on and Goodrige brake lines on into the garage section!

#31 ·
Its from the engine. I can start hearing the click just under 50mph when the clutch is out and im comin to a stop/slowing down. It stops when i pull the clutch in. The noise dont happen when on the throtle or increasing speed, and the brakes can be on or off and the noise still happens. Only while the gear is engaged during decelleration.

I was following another post that said maybe a CCT, cam chain tentioner..

any advise?

#33 ·
I dont mean to post again, but...
This seems to happen now that the ambient temp is below 60 when i ride.
Also i held the front brake in and rocked the front end as hard as my 170 lbs can, seems solid!

#35 ·
The noise comes from the forks. Try to give 8 more clicks to the preload and half turn more to the extention. You won't solve the "problem" but the situation will improve. To get more balance with the front I gave two clicks more and half turn more to the extention at the rear too

#40 ·
I picked my brand new 2013 blade last week and i noticed the thumping/rattle straight away. I have heard from my local suspension shop that its normal for the showa BPF and to fix it you just replace the stock oil with thicker oil. When mine need an overhaul I will find out i guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.