Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Coolant level too high ?!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hardcore 
#1 ·
Fireblade 05,20 000 miles,not abused, coolant changed this spring...
After ride,two days ago,I noticed that coolant level is around 4 cm OVER max mark...so I "sucked" it out till MAX mark..:mad:
After today`s ride THE SAME THING HAPPENED !!I can`t keep taking coolant out of the reservoir,something is wrong...:whyme:
I don`t see any bubbles or anything dirty in the coolant reservoir so it probably isn`t blown head gasket..Is that normal?
I could use a good advice,please...:confused:

#2 ·
worry more if the coolant is too low. Coolant will reach the overflow and drain on its own if its too full. Make sure the temperature is normal and just keep riding

#4 ·
Can I rant a little? Please?

Freakin' reservoir should have some kind of translucent "stripe" down the side, like motor oil bottles. NOT easy to check the level. I was in bright sun, and I had a powerful LED flashlite. I thought I was low, shaking the bike and looking for the level. I added my last bit of Engine Ice (if you have ever bought some you know, you don't wanna waste it) and instead of being low like I thought, it was fine. The little I added pissed right out of the overflow.

Bike's been running in the 180's on cool days at speed with Engine Ice that'll be 4 yrs old in Sept 2015. With normal EG it used to run in the mid to high 170's, and then when I first put in the Ice, it was down to low 170's.

Making me think E Ice is deteriorating and I need new. That's one of the reasons I thought the res might be low, cause I noticed the temps about 10* higher than I remembered them. So I guess I'll add an ICE flush to this summer's maint sched and see what happens.

I love that the quality of the reservoir is so thick that you can hardly see through it, but it's not useful for the same reason. Maybe I should wait until dark. Probably easier with the flashlight. Also, E Ice is a very dark greenish/blue when it's new. Prolly looking pale now as well, which doesn't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.