Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

2006 starting/running issues

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  themyth1974 
#1 ·
So, I am new to the forums and have come here for help. I am tired of scouring the internet, coming up with vague answers to my problem. I thought it would be best to come here to see if I could find a more detailed explanation.

The issues I have been having:

The first thing I noticed starting to happen was back in June/July. After getting out of work, I started my bike and rode down the road. When I got to about 3k rpm, throttle response became very sluggish/non-responsive. If I shifted to second, throttle response came back until I hit 3k again. When the bike finally made it to about 3.4-3.5k, throttle response came back. Once the bike has had time to warm up, there are no problems what so ever.

Second issue has become progressively worse. When I go to start the bike, it will turnover, fire up to about 1.5k rpm and then die. Earlier in the year, it would do this once before finally running. Now, in December, it does this about five times before it finally comes to an idle. It doesn't do this if the bike is warm, or had been sitting in the sun all day.

Lastly, and I don't think this is a problem, but my brother and dad seem to think it is... When I start the bike on a cold day, steam, or what I think is steam and my dad thinks is smoke, comes out of the tailpipe. Seems pretty normal if you ask me, especially when it goes away after bike begins to warm up. Thought I'd mention it because I know that can be a sign of dirty injectors.

Those are my issues. Not sure they will help you guys pinpoint a certain problem.

This past weekend, I was able to change the spark plugs. Old ones showed signs of running rich, which I expected having a PC and just a basic mapping. Injectors are working properly but may be dirty. I am am going to try to run some Lucas injector cleaner through the engine for the next couple weeks, see if that helps. I also attempted to check the valve clearances.

It should be noted that it was my first crack at this. I didn't have enough time to get the valve cover completely off, just enough to get a feeler in there. The IN's where all in spec but the EX's are where I am second guessing myself. All eight where out of spec and seemed to have been set like they were IN's (super tight). I am not sure I did something wrong or what. When the bike is warm, the bike runs great through the entire rpm range. I have not noticed a loss of power but I don't expect to feel minor decline in power.

As I am writing this, I remember I was messing around with my PC earlier in the season. I accidentally deleted the map but was able to upload it again. Could this be a PC mapping issue? Just an Idea.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I am just super anal about getting my bike into pristine working condition. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
One last update for the night...

I had the fuel setting on my power commander at the mid mark for low, mid and high. I decided to bump up the low all the way up to run rich. The bike started up on the first try! Could have been a lucky first attempt, who knows.

With that hopefully solved, maybe running a little richer at the low end will help solve my sluggish throttle response when the bike is cold. Hope to get out in the next could days and test it out.

#7 ·
My 06 has the same starting issue. It only happens maybe 1 out of 10 times that I start the bike. I've just learned to crack the throttle if it stalls the first time. I'm pretty sure a good pc map would solve the starting issue, but for me the nearest dyno tuner is over 3 hrs away. So I just deal with it by cracking the throttle. If you have a tuner locally I would start there. I got a jeffo map which is far better than the pc maps, but probably not as good as a custom map. I still have to crack the throttle on occasion to keep it from stalling.

As far as the smoke goes, it's probably just water in your exhaust that is turning to steam as the engine heats up. Once the engine gets up to temp all the water has evaporated away, and the white smoke stops. If your bike still smokes after warm up, then it's time to be concerned. Generally white smoke means head gasket, black smoke means fuelling, and blue smoke means your burning oil, which can be from worn valve seals or piston rings.

As far as valve adjustment goes, how many miles are on your bike? First valve service interval is 16,000 miles. My coworker used to be a mechanic and he told me that very often, Honda's are still within spec by that mileage. It seams odd that all your IN are good, but all the EX are out. If you are really insecure about your findings, take it to a dealer.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Keep us posted about your progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.