Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Scary sounds from my blade..

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  spartan andy 
#1 ·
Hello there!

I own my bike for about a year now. During this period it started making more and more noises. I'll try to explain it to you :)

At idle you can hear a little ticking noise, doesn't sound like a big deal but it really annoys me. I think the best way to describe it is that it sounds like a valve ticking.
But.... When the engine gets to it's operating temperature, it starts to rattle when de-accelerating. When the engine is cold there is no rattle, when it gets to operating temperature it starts to rattle. I noticed that the rattle starts at about 3k rpm, going down to idle. Notice that this is under de-acceleration. I have a feeling that the little ticking noise and this rattle are somehow related but this is just a feeling.

I know what you might probably think right now: the CCT! Well, i have ordered a manual CCT. When installed it sounded a bit better i thought. But after a few kilometers the rattle returned..
My bike has 35k kilometers on it, so i decided to replace the cam chain and a new OEM CCT. Guess what.. rattle is still there. Valve clearance has been checked and adjusted where needed. With this i got the oil and oilfilter changed.

I really don't know what might cause this rattle anymore. Have any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
darn it, I see this is a old post. but anyways, i havent seen any others with the same problem. I have the same Rattle on my 2012 with about 21000km on her. between 2500rpm - 3500rpm on deceleration it makes that noise. and when idle I just rev it up a little bit then it sounds scary coming down back to idle. going to check it out this weekend and have a good listen where its coming from.

#7 ·
Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope. Put the blade on the motor and put the handle against your ear. This should make locating the noise easier.
Hi gents. thanks for the responses. here is a video of the noise. she is quiet at startup but as soon as i rev her up from 2000rpm you can hear the noise and when i get off the throttle also there. check it out. I am going to the dealer for some advice hoping they will give and not just say book her in.

#6 ·
Hi gents. thanks for the responses. here is a video of the noise. she is quiet at startup but as soon as i rev her up from 2000rpm you can hear the noise and when i get off the throttle also there. check it out. I am going to the dealer for some advice hoping they will give and not just say book her in.

#9 ·
If it is the CCT.......

Cam chain tensioners are easy to replace provided you feel like taking the tank, air box and such things off to get to it. They range from 40-100 bucks depending on where you get it from. Two screws/bolts hold it on, and is a pretty simple job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.