Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Coolant question

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jwray44 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got a question about coolant capacity on an 08 CBR1000.
I've drained the coolant refilled and bled the system but can only get about 2.2 litres back into radiator. Would the system not be fully draining before refilling? Workshop manual says it should be taking 3 litres plus what's in overflow tank???
Thanks
Dan

#5 ·
Ill check the color of mine but I think its still the same color (ill look inside radiator), possibly not that the engine block itself is not draining and you only drain the radiator *shrug*

#6 ·
Whenever you drain any fluids from any machines, there is always some leftover inside. Unless, you take out water pump and radiator too. There are some inside radiator. Unlike car's radiator, on our bike, in and out hoses located in the middle, not top and bottom.

#7 ·
this is normal, there is a lot of coolant that sits in the block. When you flush it, make sure you bring it to operating temperature, enough so the thermostat opens. 85c is partially open 95c is fully open IIRC. Usually takes 4-6 rounds to get it all flushed. On the last fill, add pure collant first as per system ratio i.e. (50/50), then add water, get it back to 100c to allow it to mix in the block.

The thermostats do get a little gummy and the seals wear over time, so be sure to inspect them every once and a while.

#9 ·
I had the same deal, I ran distilled water through mine two or three times. I put coolant back in and it took 2 to 2.4 quarts. It should have taken around the 3 quart mark. What helped me get closer to my 3 mark was squeezing the hoses to rid all the air from the system. I still think some coolant remains in the system.
I used Prestone, works fine for a $9 bottle from my local walmart!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.