Faulty Neutral Switch? - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net

post #1 of 15 Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
danknee
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Faulty Neutral Switch?

Recently, the neutral indicator light works intermittently. If I am in neutral, it will flicker (causing the motor to cut if the stand is down). The light refuses to stay on while in neutral. Sometimes the light will stay on if I play with the position of the shift lever and center it in neutral. I am trying to get a hold of a repair manual. Until then, anyone know off-hand where the connector is, or what could cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned Camp Counselor

check the connector BEHIND the guague cluster.. it may be lose.

otherwise check the clutch swith on the handlebar... and then there is a wire that goes to the NSS in front of the kick stand.. it may be lose is all
post #3 of 15 Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
danknee
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptaz1000rr View Post
check the connector BEHIND the guague cluster.. it may be lose.

otherwise check the clutch swith on the handlebar... and then there is a wire that goes to the NSS in front of the kick stand.. it may be lose is all
Both the clutch switch on the handlebar and the kick stand switch operate correctly and are securely plugged in. I will check the connector on the back of the gauge cluster tomorrow to see if that is loose. <crosses fingers>

post #4 of 15 Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned Camp Counselor

good luck ... let me know if it does not work and ill talk to my techs and see what they say... no worries well get you back up and running .. between my techs and the guys on here .. SOMEONE will get that fixed for ya
post #5 of 15 Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Niner1000RR
Ride Red!

Also check the resistor in the fuse box. I'll look it up on the Manual.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
CharlieHo
2 wheels, 4 wheels?

Mine has acted up in the same way a few times.

Try starting the bike, drop it into gear and move just a bit, then find N and see if it comes on then. That usually does the trick for mine...

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒε

Si vis pacem, para bellum

post #7 of 15 Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
danknee
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks for the tips. I've eliminated everything but the neutral switch itself. From the repair manuals I have (for other bikes =X), it looks like most neutral switches are a ground connection that is closed when in neutral with the light on, and open when not in neutral with the light off. Unfortunately, I fail to see the switch or the wire I can test after removing all the plastics. Perhaps it sits underneath the front sprocket cover. If anyone could look up the location of the neutral switch on an '06 I would greatly appreciate it.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 AM
RRFanatic
Whore In Training

Well you said 06... But I thought I would look for you anyways since they wouldn't have changed it from the 04/05.

It is a single wire sensor under the gas tank at the rear or the engine assembly. It almost looks like an O2 sensor or something. I don't know how easy it is to see normally but all my body work is out and was pretty easy to locate.

Just took another look. It sits right in the middle of the upper swingarm mount..

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahphunk View Post
They're freaking carbon man. They'll protect you and your whole family in event of a crash!
post #9 of 15 Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM
cbranimal1000rr

My bike is doing the same thing.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
danknee
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRFanatic View Post
Well you said 06... But I thought I would look for you anyways since they wouldn't have changed it from the 04/05.

It is a single wire sensor under the gas tank at the rear or the engine assembly. It almost looks like an O2 sensor or something. I don't know how easy it is to see normally but all my body work is out and was pretty easy to locate.

Just took another look. It sits right in the middle of the upper swingarm mount..

Good Luck.
Thanks! I will pull it apart and test it ASAP. I'm guessing it is just a defective neutral switch, but I will post the results after I have it working correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page