Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

chain broke off while riding

16K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  aieownyu 
#1 ·
yeah so while riding today on the highway, my revs start going crazy and i couldn't shift. I pull over immediately and look the bike over and notice my chain is gone,( thank god i didn't wreck) anyway my question is i had a 520 DID erv3 setup with driven sprockets. I put them on may of last year and they have maybe have less then 2,000 miles on them.( probably way less due to a busy schedule) so can i just replace the chain or do i have to replace the sprockets also?

#38 ·
I always heard 520's were plenty strong enough for the torque and hp that the 1000cc puts out. My guess is with the majority aswell, bad rivet or improper install at least.

And like ervyone else said, count yourself lucky. Could've gone waaayy worse for you and your gurl.

"Do or Do not, There is no Try"

#43 ·
I'm about to drop the hammer on a -1/+1 520 conversion for my 06.

From searching, searching, and doing more searching it appears that there are people who favour the 530 and those that favour the 520.

Many of the respected posters and contributors to the site advise (for many years) that a 520 isn't worse for strength than a 530 as long as its maintained properly. DID ERV3 520 chain appears to be chain of choice, with AFAM, Driven or Renthal sprockets to match.

Personally I'm confident that a 520 will hold up for my use (80% street, 20% track), especially as so many forum members are happy with this setup. However, it took alot of searching and learning before I gained that confidence.
If I wasn't confident in a 520 then I know that there are 530 alternatives out there that will work for me just as fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.