2010 fireblade whining noise on engine braking : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

2010 fireblade whining noise on engine braking

Hey guys,

So last week i was out trying to practice some clutch-up wheelies. I think i might have messed up my clutch or worse in the process.

Now the bike is making a loud high pitched whining noise on engine braking. It doesn't do it if i'm accelerating, only if i let go of the throttle & let it engine brake. The noise will stop if i pull in the clutch during engine braking. There's no sound on idle either. So it's only on deceleration while it's in gear.

I also noticed there's some play/slack in the clutch lever, it's moving around an inch or two like it's loose.

So i tried doing some research & keep reading mixed opinions. Some say it's the clutch basket, while others are saying it's the crankshaft & bearings. I also read that there's a way to adjust the balancer gear by adjusting a screw, should i have a go at that?

I'm really pissed off at myself for screwing up my bike, especially since the same day someone rear-ended me. So now i have messed up fairings as well as this damn noise.

Anyone else experienced this on their 2010-11's? Am i going to mess up the transmission by continuing to ride it with this noise? Thanks for the help.
Getafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #2

I had whining noise on de-acceleration with engine braking and mostly between 5500 rpm and 4500 rpm and brought it to honda and they the clutch was bad.
Now they said when somebody did the clutch update-recal, the new clutch wasnt instaled properly,and made in short period of time clutch to slip.
Does your slips on acceleration?
I got new clutch and was payed from honda american co because of that unproper instal.

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

does the whining happen in every gear??? or just some gears???
honda10004me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

It's hard to tell in the upper gears because of the wind noise but i think it's in pretty much every gear. Clutch also slips sometimes when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Huge Member

if its under warranty, take it to the dealer and complain that the clutch feels odd.

if its not under warranty, pop the clutch cover off (you dont have to drain the oil to do it) and look at the outer clutch plate carefully.. it probably has a couple cracks around it.

riding it normal on the street with the clutch like this a few thousand miles wont hurt it, but its annoying as hell... and dont clutch it up until you fix it.

MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #6

No warranty unfortunately.

No more clutch-up wheelies for me, though i'm surprised it just took a few of them to start this noise. Maybe the previous owner had already abused it & it took just a little more for it to break. I've only put 1500 miles on it (got it with 3000 miles) so it's kind of disappointing to have this happen.

I'm in pakistan & there are no official honda service centers here that i could take it to. I'll pull off the cover & see if something is amiss. I know it is annoying as hell & i'll have it fixed A.S.A.P. Do you think i'll need to replace the whole clutch assembly or can i get away with replacing just the plates?

Can you guys point out which part it is in this diagram that is likely to be causing the noise:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Huge Member

outer friction plate.... on that diagram its the one all the way to the left inside of the #6 box (the one right above the 6)...

you can see it without taking the clutch fully apart.

theres a chance your clutch wasnt assembled correctly, and that caused a premature failure. theres a Honda TSB that includes the new directions for assembling the slipper clutch, you NEED to follow the new directions and ignore the service manual, or it will happen again.

I dont have the TSB personally or I would share it. some digging around online should turn it up.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

Cheers buddy appreciate the help, sorry for the newbie questions but what's a TSB?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Huge Member

Technical Service Bulletin.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #10

I think i found it, is it from Jan 09?

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/im...20120314135922
Sponsored Links
Advertisement