08 Won't Start - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
08 Won't Start

All of a sudden my bike won't start, and I'm just looking for ideas before I get the time to start testing things. It cranks over just fine (connected jumper cables just to be sure), fuel pump is priming, but it never tries to fire. Modifications to my bike are only a PCV and a ZBomb which were installed about 3 years ago. I have not worked on the bike recently so nothing has changed.

Today while just doing some easy checks I did notice the exhaust does smell like fuel while cranking so I'm leaning towards ignition. I also plugged in the laptop to the PCV just to make sure firmware was still there and maps were there too. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary there. One thing I did notice was RPM never changed from 0 during cranking. Does anybody remember if their PCV shows any RPM during cranking? My initial thought was cam or crank position sensor and if it is supposed to show RPM during crank that would point toward that also.

Like I said before, nothing has changed with the bike in quite some time. I rode my bike about 3 weeks ago before hunting and now it will not start. It has never had any sort of problem or sputter or anything. It has also been covered and hasn't gotten wet.

08 CBR1000RR
03 YZ450F
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Fuel means unburned fuel! So no spark! Check the spark plugs.disconect batery and leave it arround 15 min to reset Ecu, then try.
Also to make sure, remove the power comancer and z bomb and then try.
It must be something minor, senzor,wire!!

2013 Suzuki Hayabusa Limited Edition

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Looks like the culprit is the crank position sensor. I tested it the other day and got a max voltage of 0.6 volts and the manual calls for a minimum of 0.7 V. I haven't messed with the bike since then and just decided to try to start it today and was able to get it to start holding the throttle wide open and it still sounded like it had an occasional miss while running and would turn off if you revved it up and let off. After a while it got better and was running better so I retested the crank position sensor voltage and am now getting 0.8 volts all the time so that confirms that is the culprit. Guess I'll be ordering a new stator.

08 CBR1000RR
03 YZ450F
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page