08 Won't Start : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

08 Won't Start

All of a sudden my bike won't start, and I'm just looking for ideas before I get the time to start testing things. It cranks over just fine (connected jumper cables just to be sure), fuel pump is priming, but it never tries to fire. Modifications to my bike are only a PCV and a ZBomb which were installed about 3 years ago. I have not worked on the bike recently so nothing has changed.

Today while just doing some easy checks I did notice the exhaust does smell like fuel while cranking so I'm leaning towards ignition. I also plugged in the laptop to the PCV just to make sure firmware was still there and maps were there too. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary there. One thing I did notice was RPM never changed from 0 during cranking. Does anybody remember if their PCV shows any RPM during cranking? My initial thought was cam or crank position sensor and if it is supposed to show RPM during crank that would point toward that also.

Like I said before, nothing has changed with the bike in quite some time. I rode my bike about 3 weeks ago before hunting and now it will not start. It has never had any sort of problem or sputter or anything. It has also been covered and hasn't gotten wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Fuel means unburned fuel! So no spark! Check the spark plugs.disconect batery and leave it arround 15 min to reset Ecu, then try.
Also to make sure, remove the power comancer and z bomb and then try.
It must be something minor, senzor,wire!!

Gone, but not forgotten,
2008 Honda CBR1000RR
GligorovDimce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Looks like the culprit is the crank position sensor. I tested it the other day and got a max voltage of 0.6 volts and the manual calls for a minimum of 0.7 V. I haven't messed with the bike since then and just decided to try to start it today and was able to get it to start holding the throttle wide open and it still sounded like it had an occasional miss while running and would turn off if you revved it up and let off. After a while it got better and was running better so I retested the crank position sensor voltage and am now getting 0.8 volts all the time so that confirms that is the culprit. Guess I'll be ordering a new stator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement