Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

DIY Brake Pads

50K views 89 replies 49 participants last post by  stigrider 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I see this was done before but never stickied, and no pics.. (great write up) so I decided to help out with Pics to helps those who want to do this have more of a visual aid. Hope this gets stickied.....

Here we go.. NOTE!!!!!....Do only One Side at a time

Below Are Galfer Rotors and OEM Pads, I am upgrading my Pads.

First take a 14mm Socket and loosen the Two Big Bolts (No need to Drain/Bleed anything) Remember lefty losey, Righty Tighty.

Next you want to Completely remove those same two bolts.

Next All you have to do is Pull the Caliper off the rotor it comes right off, Don't scratch your rims up, just slide it off.

Here you now have the Caliper with OEM pads Installed.

Take an Allen wrench and Unscrew the two bolts holding the pads in place. the next few pics show this process. Breaking these loose is easier when the caliper is still bolted on, and final tightening is also easiest after the caliper is bolted back on

Next Just Pull the pads out, there is nothing holding them in place. Here one pads is already out.

Next, this pics shows the pads out, the 4 silver round things you see are your Pistons at this point you can clean them out w/Compressed air make sure they are free of any debris, etc.. Then With your hands Press each Piston Back down into its whole maybe a little hard but they go, push them all the way down compare this pic with the ones below see the difference.

Pistons Flush with the Calipers.

Next, insert new Pads into the calipers, make sure they are seated all the way to the back, just hold them with your hand, they don't click or lock into anything, just hold them.

Next your ready to put your Allen screws right back in the same wholes, when sliding your screw in it WILL get caught on the Gold Clip, push the clip down (where my finger is at) and the bolt will continue to slide through. Make sure both bolts are in before you tighten completely, next few pics show this process..

Here The Second allen screw is going through. Tighten dem Down boys. Again, final tightening is easiest after you bolt the caliper back on.

Here Slide the caliper back on (This is Why you pushed your pistons back down if not you wouldnt be able to get the caliper back over the rotor :thumbsup:)

Put both your Bolts back in and Torque'em down.

YOUR NOT DONE YET!!!, now pump your front brake lever about 4-5 times until you feel your front brakes catch the rotor. NOW!!!! Do the other Side. Don't forget to make sure the pad retaining pins with the Allen heads are tight.

See less See more
Reactions: SaratogaLED
#2 ·
BAM!!!!!!!!New Galfer Pads and Rotors, Lets go do some stoppies.!!!:thumbsup: this is very easy to do save your money and DIY.

#10 ·
No I bought them used..I will use some thanks

#9 ·
Thanks for the Sticky....Appreciate that. Resuscit8u.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry Jake, Im not going to be gentle here.
I cringed as soon as I saw your first photo.
All this super after market technology and it doesnt fit.
I could tell straight away by the wear pattern on your discs that the spacers you have under your calipers are too thick by about 2 or 3mm.
And cringe turns to vomit as photo #11 confirms it, the horrendous lips at the top of your pads means they are riding too high on the disc and not achieving full contact. If you let your pads wear to full depth the 2 lips on either pad will come together and may cause the pads to tilt.
Also since motorcycle caliper pistons do not have dust boots its very important to clean the pistons before pushing them back in. To clean them all around, turn them slowly by gripping them from the inside with truck sized circlip pliers. Clean with WD40 and brass or plastic wire brush

#16 ·
Then the discs are too small.
Either way theres an alignment problem,
And with 33 years experience as motorcycle mechanic,
I think I've done my homework thanks.
Apology accepted in advance

#38 ·
+1 = Aww man, gotta search the manual now.

#22 ·
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.....OI,OI,OI

:thumbsup: Jake it was a pleasure working on your bike even though it was on the other side of the planet.
You gotta love the interweb.

Actually Jake I would keep the discs and make longer steel dowel/spacer of only about 3mm thick, or basically measure the lip on your old pads and thats how much you have to bring the calipers back. The standard disc is 305mm? I think
You dont really want an alloy dowel cause in this system its the dowel that takes all the brake thrust reaction, not the bolt. The disc pushes the pad pushes the caliper pushes the dowel pushes forks. force train. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
the 04/05 is a 310mm rotor & have a locating dowel that the bolt goes through just like the 06/07 spacer but without the 5mm lip. you need these to locate the caliper properly, you just can't bolt the caliper on without them & as mentioned the 04/05 bolts are shorter than the 06/07.

nut shell:
04/05 has 310mm rotors calipers mount with no spacers but have locating dowel
06/07 has 320mm rotors calipers mount with 5mm lip spacer that has locating dowels either side

hi rip :)

#26 ·
Sup Roy
I just measured my discs and the are not much bigger than 305mm, definitely not 310mm.
If the Galfers are a true 310mm you need 2.5mm spacers.
This is enough to drive a crazy guy mad

#29 ·
I'm at the dealership he knew right away
What I needed. Ordered the bolts for me.

#30 ·
Jake just mount the calipers on without the spacers and make sure the periphery of the discs dont touch in the caliper slot. Radial clearance.
I still think there is a discrepancy in disc diameter between the stock and Galfer.

Where can I purchase the caliper bolts at?
Hacksaw?......................nevermind

#35 ·
Jake just mount the calipers on without the spacers and make sure the periphery of the discs dont touch in the caliper slot. Radial clearance.
I still think there is a discrepancy in disc diameter between the stock and Galfer.

Hacksaw?......................nevermind
No there is not...

04-05 are 310mm, Galfer part number DF070CW

06-07 are 320mm, Galfer part number DF068CW (same as the RC51 all years)

08- are still 320mm but have a different offset DF076CWD/I

#32 · (Edited)
I just put 320 rotors and 07' caliper spacers on my 04.

PROBLEM IS:

there is no clearance for the hanger dowels in the spacers, so my calipers are spaced a few mm to high.

are the oem 06-07 spacers not going to work on my 04?, heres a pic so you see what im saying

the spacer dowel fits up inside the caliper , but then the hanger dowel does not fit into anything, thus making the caliper spaced too high. (the silver is the hanger dowel)

I've got a track day Oct 4th and would like to run my new (to me) rotors! anybody help me out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.