Ignition bypass write up.......3 different methods : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Grr
Banned Camp Counselor

Ignition bypass write up.......3 different methods

I can't leave pics of this stuff up forever, so if you want to be able to have these illustrations for future use i suggest you copy these before i have to take them down.

Have had a couple folks ask me about bypassing the ignition switch, and since i couldn't find a write up on it figured i'd post this up. Some on here say it can ruin something in the electrical system, yet after 3 years i have yet to have an issue on all my bikes and numerous other bikes i've done this for. So take all this with a grain of salt. If you think you could do some damage to your bike's electrical system then don't bother.

Method 1.....(the easiest).....for track use.

I say for track use because you will loose the turn signal switch unless you find another place to mount this toggle switch. You could mold it into the tank shelter or one of the upper panels if you wish, but that may be a bit more work than one wishes to put in.....but would be sort of trick and out of the way.

This is the simplest and most straight forward bypass of them all. You can use this by completely doing away with your ignition switch or you can just bypass it while it remains in the triple bridge.
Find yourself a kill switch from a newer Honda CRF450 dirt bike. I'm sure there are several Honda models that will work for you, but you are looking for something that resembles and does the same job as the one shown in the picture. The idea is to have a mountable toggle switch.
Instead of plugging in the ignition switch you'll want to plug the new toggle switch in place of the now removed ignition switch. One can crimp on some male leads as seen in the pics which will simply plug into the main harness female connector.(((If doing this make sure you put some sort of insulation between the male connectors so the don't accidently touch and cause a short. I've used good quality electrical tape and even a good helping of liquid electrical tape will do.))) Another option would be to clip off the oem female connector from the IG switch and splice on the end of the new toggle/kill switch. One would probably not care to do this unless they are going with a dedicated track bike and will never care to go back to using a keyed ignition again.
Say you wish to not bother with removing your IG switch you can splice directly into the leads on the IG switch side with some of those plastic splicer thingies....sorry not recalling their technical term off the top of my head right now. There are a couple different ways to splice into the leads which connectors can be picked up just about anywhere.

Method 2......(moderately easy)......for track only.

I say track only because you will loose the turn signal switch unless you can find another place to mount this switch. Its going to be a bit tougher than the dirt bike toggle cause this is a full starter/kill switch and is a bit bulkier.

Should you have a spare oem 1krr starter switch you can use this in place of the dirt bike toggle/kill switch. Its basically just like the toggle switch but with a bit of cutting off all leads except the all black and white with black stripe. These you'll use to connect with the with the IG switch via straight splicing or through the oem female connector.

As seen in the pics you will cut all wires but the 2 aforermentioned. The solid black will be spliced to the solid red wire from the oem IG female connector, and the white w/ black stripe will be connected to the red with black stripe. If you wish to not use(or can't find) the female connector from the IG switch you can run splice directly into the main harness wires just behind the male connector. Or you may use any of the other connection methods listed in the first method. Just remember you are only using the solid black wire and the white with black stripe from the oem kill/starter switch.

Last edited by Grr; 11-18-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Grr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Grr
Banned Camp Counselor

Method 3......(most involved, but not to hard)........street/track use

This gets the street or track use moniker because this takes the IG switch and integrates it into the starter/kill switch.

While one has to do a little more work to get this one working its not so bad. You'll need to have a really thin & fine pointed probe that can reach down into the white kill switch connector and release pins.
I could talk about the set up but i think the pics would do a much better job at showing you how your connectors should look. Still the same routine of matching up the solid black wire with the solid red on the IG switch female connector, and the white with black stripe to the red with black stripe. The orange/red strip wire gets looped around on one side of the connector. Just remember to orientate your connector to the way mine is shown in the pics and you will get it spot on. Also, don't forget to keep those pins you removed as it will make your life a whole lot easier if you use one of the removed pins to put on the orange wire and it will snap back into the connector easy peasy.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #3

The things you can't remember are called wire taps.
sdca7718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Bustin grumpies

Good writeup!

http://www.superbikesupply.com
828-287-2101-sales
rm -rf /bin/laden

Charlie Sheen is too damn high!
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Grr
Banned Camp Counselor

If a mod could correct the spelling in the heading that would be great. Fixing this should help others using the search feature.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Bustin grumpies

done

http://www.superbikesupply.com
828-287-2101-sales
rm -rf /bin/laden

Charlie Sheen is too damn high!
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Just wanted to check... will method #3 be applicable to the 08 and newer 1000rr?

Thanks
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

ttt

Anybody with any insight on how to do this on the 08 bike?
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #9

That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

Tinaphps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement