Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

HID ballasts. Where the heck do they go??

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  vo7208 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Spent the WHOLE day looking for a spot to put the Ballasts.

Does anyone have any clue or hints to where i should mount the Ballasts of my HID kit for my CBR1000RR 08?

#2 ·
Do the flapper/vaccuum mod and put them in the middle between the headlights. Mine had little holes on the side to mount them with a screw so I put one on top of the other with padding around them, drilled a hole in the flat plastic beam between the headlights and attached then there with a bolt and nut.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
Even though I wanted a nice place to put my ballasts, I didn't want to do the flapper mod. I once owned a brand new Mazda3 that I mutilated with strange electronic mods (laser sighted airsoft gun, IR cameras front and rear, police scanner, PA/CB radio, lighting, etc...). Having bought my 1krr new as well, this time I am leaving as much of it stock as possible.

Anyway, I ended up putting mine on the little tray beneath the headlights. The slim ballasts fit perfectly and the wire coils nicely out of view. The only thing I don't like is potential exposure to water, but the fender should mitigate that risk. DDM has a good warranty anyway, I have exchanged a water damaged ballast (from a car) before with no questions asked.

That said, I don't know if the '08 has the same little tray that the '12 does. So, apologies if I have wasted your time, but maybe someone else will find this useful. And in my application I am going to run a cutoff switch, so I haven't hidden the wires entirely yet.

#7 ·
Thanks for you help, usefull but i couldnt find a nice spot there, they were just too big (and theyre slim ballasts too).

Ended up installing them under the (excuse my lack of knowledge) "silver" brace" on the forks. Leaves them pretty open to water etc but i NEVER ride in the rain anyway.

When i get back home (away for 6 months) ill have another look at placement but for the meantime, there will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.