Clutching Them Up..... : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #1

Clutching Them Up.....

Whats the easiest way to get around this "fear" of clutching them up. I can power them up just fine and maintain them very well. But clutching is said to be a lot more controlled and easier. I just can't grasp the aspect of the right hand left hand, clutch, power, etc. Sounds odd, but maybe some will understand. I have watched the video for "how to's" and doesn't really help out to much. I guess I'm just a little worried about clutching to much, even though I haven't even clutched one to date. Any ideas, suggestions? How much to start with, what gear. Almost seems like I'm afraid to clutch them up since I haven't tried it before.
Ueafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Mr. Bish

I've tried it before and it scares the shit outta me, too. Curious of the answers of Trachito, Whellieguy, and others.

non tactical marine MF'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strand View Post
Yeah I'm a loner. I don't need people to make me feel warm and fuzzy about myself.
Silvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #3

Just do it a little at a time at first... rolling at 5-10 mph rev the bike SLIGHTLY and "Slip" the clutch. Don't move your throttle hand. Instinct will tell you to grab a fist full of throttle and then chop off the gas when the front end starts to lift.
If you don't move your wrist or body position and Don't chop the gas - the front end will just kind of hang there in place until your acceleration catches up with the motor. Once you get used to riding out the rev, you will start to naturally adjust by leaning back, or adding a little throttle. This will keep the front wheel up longer. Eventually you will get high enough that the bike starts to float, this is called the ballance point. The point at which you gas and no brake is being used... you're just kind of coasting. That's still a ways away though. Just try a little at a time and don't get frustrated. There's always another day to keep practicing. When people get frustrated they try too hard and get in over their head - this is when bad things happen to good bikes.

Goodluck, be safe and wear some gear.

$.02
Wheelieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SILVER View Post
I've tried it before and it scares the shit outta me, too. Curious of the answers of Trachito, Whellieguy, and others.
I have friends that do it all the time, and asked them. Their response was... "I just got done smoking a blunt, and my friend just said don't be a pussy. Ever since then, it hasn't been a problem"

But I don't do that, so I need another answer, haha.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelieguy View Post
Just do it a little at a time at first... rolling at 5-10 mph rev the bike SLIGHTLY and "Slip" the clutch. Don't move your throttle hand. Instinct will tell you to grab a fist full of throttle and then chop off the gas when the front end starts to lift.
If you don't move your wrist or body position and Don't chop the gas - the front end will just kind of hang there in place until your acceleration catches up with the motor. Once you get used to riding out the rev, you will start to naturally adjust by leaning back, or adding a little throttle. This will keep the front wheel up longer. Eventually you will get high enough that the bike starts to float, this is called the ballance point. The point at which you gas and no brake is being used... you're just kind of coasting. That's still a ways away though. Just try a little at a time and don't get frustrated. There's always another day to keep practicing. When people get frustrated they try too hard and get in over their head - this is when bad things happen to good bikes.

Goodluck, be safe and wear some gear.

$.02

When you mean slip the clutch, does that mean, slightly let it out, or "dump" it? I guess it's the whole clutch control that is throwing me off. Cause I can power them up and ride them out on the balance point for a while. But I know there is more control in the clutching.

So hold the gas at a certain mph, pull the clutch in enough to a certain rpm, then release the clutch while maintaining the same mph to start?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Ride Red

dump
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
blah

i like to think of it like playing rock paper scissors... do it now.. see how its a smooth slide of the fingers (scissors or course) slip it on up but not dragging the clutch for instance

ok

lemme start over...
left hand cruise down the road (any speed) and slowly pull in clutch untill you feel it slip
that is as far as you have to pull in.

ok with that being said
first gear clutching can come up violently fast if your not practiced at it..

which is why i argue 2nd gear slips (although your speed is magnified, thus is you screw up.. well.. ists a BIG screw up)

for ppl learning to clutch ill suggest that you sart with the smallest throttle blip/slip and progressively add more throttle till you loft the tire,

i.e.
you blip/slip bike just lurches... GOOD you didnt loop it.. try a TAD more and so on..
and when i say the smallest i mean THE SMALLEST..
even with the smallest blip first WILL COME UP.. maybe not 2 feet but it will rise..

with that being said... +1 on the gear this is a must.. and if you must wheelie at least buy some sliders and other shite for your bike (cage etc)
enjoy and be safe
CANTER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #8

Try practicing shifting....without actually shifting. So, start from stop get up to a comfortable, but slightly early shift point in RPM. Pull in clutch like you'd shift and slightly raise the RPM, now release the clutch. Now practice with faster clutch release and more throttle. For me it's really counter-intuitive. The racer instinct in me always wants to feather the clutch more as I use more throttle.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #9

I learned in second gear.

-On the 1000, I would go about 40mph, then I would accelerate like I was trying to get to 100 in a hurry (but not WOT).
-Then, without letting off the gas, I would use ONE finger to pull in and release the clutch as quickly as possible.

That is about the easiest way that I can think to explain it.

IMO: If it gives you an adrenaline rush, then don't try to push it any further. Keep practicing at that level (i.e. 4" off the ground) until you don't get a rush any more. Then you are ready to push it a little further.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/̵͇̿

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SILVER View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
dump
Nice
Eddie1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement