Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Clutch Wheelie

37K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  Blessed Honda Guy 
#1 ·
Ok so I can Power Wheelie easy... Get the R's to about 5K and give it more gas. Easy as pie. Now my dilemma is clutching. I have tried it, meaning going about 20mph and pulling the clutch bring the R's to 7K and let it go. The bike only engages with the engine and jerks a bit. I took it up to 8K...Same thing it jerks. I know I should probably give it more gas but how much is the question. I wrecked my brothers bike trying this before and not trying to do that again, especially not on my 09. Any help would be great. I have come across other threads and all they say is "cover the brake and give it more gas" Anyone out there riding and 08-09 and know where at what RPM they are dumping the clutch. Thanks and yes I know this is probably one of the 1000th time some one has asked.

#33 ·
If I read these posts correct there are two ways to clutch it. One way is get traveling at whatever speed you feel good at, pull in clutch all the way rev it up and just dump the clutch as you are giving it gas? (Seems like that has loop written all over it)

The second way is get traveling at whatever speed you feel good at and keep into the gas steady at say 30 or so and just blimp the clutch so the RPM’s race up and give it gas at the same time as you let the clutch right back out. Now this way you are only pulling the clutch in maybe an inch if that. Just enough so the RPM’s race up.

So would it be accurate to say one is dumping the clutch and the other is slipping the clutch?

I dump the clutch on my v rod all the time for some nice burnouts. With the power of the CBR I think if you pull clutch in all the way rev it and dump it you have a good chance of looping it.

I can power wheelie it now just trying the clutching myself. Have not got the front wheel off the ground yet clutching it but working slowly at it. What I have been doing is get going 30 or so and just blip the clutch so the RPM’s race up and let it right back out. I am only pulling in the clutch maybe an inch if that.

Hope this is the correct way?

#35 ·
When i first started doing wheelies. Started with first gear power wheelies then clutching it up in 2nd. But honestly can bring stand up so easy in 2nd and 3rd with a bounce its almost pointless to clutch it up. One thing about clutching it up is you can get more consistent and lower speed launches but once you get good at powering it up i prefer it to clutching it.

#36 ·
Threads like this kill me......What are you guys thinking trying to learn to wheelie on a 1000cc bike? Start on a small cc off road bike on a surface other than asphalt, your ass cheeks will thank you!

FYI- You are going to crash either way you look at it...and yes you might scratch your bike. Hopefully you have medical insurance, and your bikes are paiid off...

#37 ·
I cant speak for others but doing a wheelie on a 1000CC is much diferent than my older GSX-R 750. I was never worried clutching it up on the 750 the 1000 is a different story. One the 750 you would have to really dump the clutch or get a handful of throttle. That is not the case on the liter bikes

I am asking for suggestions on the most controlable way to bring up the CBR. From the sounds of it the clutch method is. Like others mentioned here they can power wheelie so they have the concept down it is learning how to use the extra power in the easiest manner. I have clutched on other bikes but with the 1000 it has much more power and comes up much faster.

A wheelie once you get it up is no different than any other bike. Getting the bike up in the air is a learning process for anyone no matter if you have learned wheelies on another bike. You can know how to wheelie but the more power the bike has the faster it comes up so again a learning process on where the revs should be and if you should dump clutch or slip it.

If you have no idea how to wheelie I agree you should not learn on a liter bike. With little effort they can go over backwards much faster than say a 600 or even a 750.

#41 ·
This is why I dont try to learn...lmao!!

#42 ·

#43 ·

#47 ·
lol I hate those videos!

only starting to wheelie myself and reckon you need to be really agressive with the throttle at lower speeds, but the blade still powers up with no clutch from 2nd gear at around 75mph/8000rpm and runs to maybe 100mph before running out of revs, gonna keep practicing this before moving onto the... slower stuff lol as it seems less dangerous weirdly enough.

#48 ·
just something to think about...trying to do a first gear wheelie and it comes straight up and you shit your pants and step on the rear break hard and slam the front down..well you just blew the seals in the front forks. Did that the first time I tried on my 600 a few yrs ago...2nd gear clutch wheelies are in my opinion the safest place to learn

#49 ·
and another thing that i personally do. I'm sure other people have better ways of doing it tho. I roll off the throttle and tap the rear brake to get it coming down then roll back on the throttle so it comes down smoothly and doesn't just crash to the ground

#51 ·
LMAO! The 2nd vid is funny as hell, the douche is hurt, bent over, and limping around saying fuuukkkk and no one gives a shit! HAHAHAHA, that suxs :gay:

#55 ·
Those videos are definately a good answer for any threads that come up about learning how to wheelie. Because now we are all like eff it, no more wheelies. I personally go on to Youtube to watch that shiznit all the time. It makes you a safer rider to see someone elses screw up. You feel bad for them (unless they are like the first one wearing a cut-off shirt and no gloves), but thanks for the lesson, lol. Good luck on your wheelies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.