Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Clutch Wheelie

37K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  Blessed Honda Guy 
#1 ·
Ok so I can Power Wheelie easy... Get the R's to about 5K and give it more gas. Easy as pie. Now my dilemma is clutching. I have tried it, meaning going about 20mph and pulling the clutch bring the R's to 7K and let it go. The bike only engages with the engine and jerks a bit. I took it up to 8K...Same thing it jerks. I know I should probably give it more gas but how much is the question. I wrecked my brothers bike trying this before and not trying to do that again, especially not on my 09. Any help would be great. I have come across other threads and all they say is "cover the brake and give it more gas" Anyone out there riding and 08-09 and know where at what RPM they are dumping the clutch. Thanks and yes I know this is probably one of the 1000th time some one has asked.

#4 ·
My 06 comes up real nice if I'm going about 45mph and clutch it up in 2nd. Don't get too hung up on revs, go by feel. Go a little higher each time until you get to balance point

#5 ·
start by slipping the clutch out. Yes second gear. rev slip, rev slip. until you get comfortable with it. The higher the revs the more torque and hp so you tend to get wheel spin. keep your arms relaxed and sit up off the tank. The rear brake is used to bring the front end back down when you pass the point of balance. practice at slower speeds 40-50mph. Dont try to yank it up with your arms the bike will do all the work. have fun, good luck

#7 ·
going 20mph is a bit slow, but obviously the bike has the power to do it... its just gonna take more effort. a bit over 40 makes it easier... I dont clutch wheelies myself very often at all though. I do my stunting on my 20" bmx bike

#9 ·
i'm teaching myself to clutch it now as well, and it is def a feel thing.. i'm finding MY ideal speed is about 35-40.. just feels right to me.. i want to stand up soooo badd, but that F@cker comes up so quick it makes my stomach slap my nuts.. haha.. i'm sure someone in here will just tell me to grow a pair and i know that's what i need to do.. one of these days.. for now my sit downs are getting quite good though..

#10 ·
I definately recommend learning to clutch it up in second, you will loop it in first! it is more about the position of the throttle than the revs. the best way to learn i have found is to power on to about half throttle at 6-8 rpm and flick the clutch, and keep powering on, no use filicking it up and then backing off the throttle until you hit balance point. just be sure to cover that back brake in case she comes up in too much of a hurry

#13 ·
I watched a video on youtube and it was said that if you get on the throttle and just grab the clutch and let it go while staying on the throttle will result in the front wheel coming up....is this true?

I can power the front up in first but have never attempted a clutch up.

#14 ·
the best thing is to learn back brake control. that is the most important thing in regards to a wheelie. learning on a honda 50 will make you extremely fluent in back brake control.

in second gear, scoot your ass as far back in the seat as possible. this moves your weight farther back on the bike, making BP not as high, and also you cannot slide back accidentally. stay leaned back also

cover your rear brake with your foot

ride at 4k RPM, pull in the clutch with your pointer finger (one finger clutch pulls allow you to keep a grip on the bars) rev the engine up to 5k, and drop the clutch.

you will not sky rocket into the air

go back to 4k and rev to 5500. drop the clutch.

keep increasing your rpm 500 everytime. this will allow you adapt to the jolt and front wheel lifting too high scaring you.

repeat this, making sure the rear brake is covered. if you think you are too high (which you are not, film it) close th throttle and the front will come down. once you start getting higher and riding longer you will learn the back brake eventually.

this method works on any bike with a clutch

#15 ·
i learned back brake control and wheelies on a 50

i moved to a stock f4i, and used the above method and was rocking BP 2nd gear in 3 hours

the next day first gear BP in an hour

the next day first gear from a stop, using no throttle once up, only the back brake (known as "idle")

the 50 helped me learn so quickly

the 1000rr is a touchy bike and not the best learner wheelie bike. but it is possible

#16 ·
Thanks alot brother, that is one of the clearest tutorials I have read.

Chris

#18 ·
3rd gear...hit the smallest little bump or hill and clutch the hell out of it and pull and bounce and do everything in your might and you can do 3rd gear sit downs :)

#19 ·
I agree completely with sixmassive... Learn brake control..... I learned the hard way... You will tell when your standing close to 12 or bp... the bike seem to be rocking back in slow motion. but tap that rear brake and throttle control is important. I got too excited when I was up and forgot to tap the rear brake.... As you can imagine the bike is totalled flipping about 8 times down the road. Luckily, no ticket, minor damage to myself, major damage to my pride.... I another one in 1 week and my insurance rate went down... not up... Since it was my birthday... Talk about good timing! Still on one wheel!

#20 ·
I've heard a few different ways of doing this, like; you pull the clutch in, blip it once to "clear it's throat", then dump it like your trying to launch it... you have the "normal" method, which I use; I move my weight back in the seat slightly, grip the bike with my knees, take all my weight off the bars (which you should be doing all the time anyway) and "flare" the clutch as I give it BIG hand full of throttle. It's the best sounding way of clutching it. I've had some pretty inconsistent results, I haven't ever flipped a bike, but I've come close, it is a fair bit harder then power monos in 1st...

#21 ·
I tried the 4k then 5k deal and even had it to 7k rpm, at what point will the wheel come off the ground? I know its just me being afraid but when I let it off it just jerks and no wheelie, I can power wheelie it but I usually end up hitting the brake to get it back down because my arms were "stiff" and made the bike come up weird, but now I know to let them be loose and still hold on :p but should the bike come up at 5k rpm?

#24 ·
ok I can power wheelie in 1st and 2nd does it by its self sometimes but this clutch wheelie still gets me...

I did the 2nd gear to 4k rpm and hit the clutch with 1 finger to 5-8k rpm and let go of the clutch and it jerks but it don't feel like it jerks hard enough to bring the wheel up. Am I suppose to WOT after I dump the clutch or just keep it where it is because I sit back nearly touching the rear seat and nothing, its a bit chilly out so I didn't do but a couple of attempts on a empty back road but I'm sure I am just unconsciously not giving it enough throttle.

>... I've done it before when I was learning to power the wheel up I did it 5 times with ease then unconsciously wouldn't give it enough throttle and the tire wouldn't come up but I'm not really afraid of it, Its just I don't want to flip it or have it come up too fast and be uncontrollable. Great write ups just not sure about the throttle after I dump it and about what rpm's does the wheel start to come up?

#27 ·
dude, rpm is irrelevant, stop looking at the freaking tacho, it's all about the throttle and the clutch!

how I started was by pinning the throttle in 2nd or close to pinning it and just grabbing the clutch for a split second to get the feel... don't hold the clutch in, just "flare" it... once you get the clutch right, then you can move on to just pinning the throttle at the same time as flaring the clutch...

#25 ·
Some good write ups. I would like to learn how to do this but would cry if I scuffed it up. :th_SmlyROFL:

Maybe you should get a GoPro (or any other video recording device) and video your throttle hand movements. Maybe you are subconsciously releasing the throttle after you let go of the clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.