Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Pirelli vs. Michelin

13K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  obway 
#1 ·
Well my SQ2 is about toast on the 12. Thinkin of going with Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs which is their dual compound tire, or the pilot power 2CTs. Any opinions one way or the other ? I had the Rosso IIs on my 600RR and liked em, I was thinkin of going 55 on the rear as well, it's actually cheaper than the 50.

Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#3 ·
I really don't need the front, but I was going to replace both just because. I had no issues with the 50 either, but I bet if the SQ2 was a 55 I wouldn't have as bad of a flat spot right now haha. SoCal freeways are killin it

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#10 ·
I've run both, pirelli hands down. I'm a track and street guy, on the street IMO (others I ride with have had the same comments as well) the Michelin gets squirmy at steeper lean angles and over pavement markings. I had a very hard time trusting the tires when riding aggressively.

(love the Michelin's on the car oddly enough)

#18 ·
+1 I have the Mich's now on my bike and it's half way worn and it's slipping through acceleration and I don't feel confident with them through the corners.

funny enough they seem to grip a bit better after like 40 miles highway ride.

the ran Pirelli's Corsa before and never a problems seemed to warm up quick enough for street riding and grip like glue and was very stable and perdictable under acceleration and lean angles.

needless to say my next set is Pirelli.

Regards,

#11 ·
+1 on the road 2 rear, i went with a pp pure on the front. ill report on that setup asap b/c i usually do a 2ct front, but i got a spare wheel and i plan to mount a pure on the back for track days and leave the road 2 for the street and back roads

#12 ·
my bike is at the shop now getting the pirelli rosso's on.. ive been riding these things on my R6 since they came out and corsa III before that.. i love em. VERY predictable and stable tire.. even in the rain.. street and track theyre my favorite tire hands down

#26 ·
Huge difference between 55 and 50. The bike sits slightly higher and leans over so much easier, i wont go back to a 50 again. Its an awesome ratio for the bike, I love it!

I've run pirelli's from day one, 50,000 miles on my bike now (06 1000rr) I used to run the Corsa III's, but now running the rosso II's. I feel like the Corsa III's gave me a bit more confidence. The rosso II's definitely last a lot longer (at least the rear does)

#21 ·
i ride hard on the streets and highways in ny i have never used any other tire than the power piolt 2ct! it have never let me down, all u need to do is just to warm them up a bit like everyother tire on the market and if i think the power piolt is amazing, the power pure 2ct is even better!! witch i still to this day have never used

#16 ·
I've had several sets of Q2's and I rode a friends bike running the Pilot Road 3's. I loved them and we now have 2 bikes with them mounted. My new CBR is still on the factory installed tires but my MV Agusta has been running on the III's for about 2000 miles. I ride at what you'd call a "spirited" pace through the Colorado canyons. We do very little flat slabbing, and I've never felt unstable in a corner. I don't ride all the way to the edge of my tire, but there's not much of a chicken strip on it either. I could be dreaming but they seem to manage tar snakes in the twisties better as well. They are far better in the rain than any tire I've had and they last a lot longer than the Q2's. I've never owned Pirelli's on my bikes so I can't comment there. The P-zeros did well on my car though.

#17 ·
I have just switched from Mich Pures to Diablo Rosso Corsa and have to say that they are much better. No idea about riding in the wet as it hasnt happened yet but I have done a track day and a few hundred Km's of road riding and by far they are a better tire. If you can afford them on the basis they wear quicker then its a much better option.
I found the pure a great tire (especially when you consider the wear) but it had a tendency to 'track' along other grooves such as pavement or where two surfaces meet or a tar snake, something to that nature. it was a really unusual feeling which i think is due to the groove pattern but either way the Pirellis do not have this problem and stick like glue.
Will update you on how long they last. Got around 7000kms from the Pures.

#22 ·
Another "which tire" thread, eh? FWIW I put over 9500 miles on a set of Pirelli Angel ST's. Great edge to edge cornering grip, superb in the rain, and during cornering they turn in quicker than the Bridgestone BT023's I'm running now. Once these wear out I'm going back to the Angels.

Sent from my M886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
Love my Angel ST's.

I don't know how you can compare tires, unless you could ride a specific track with new tires A and switch to new tires B, all in the same day.

Running tire A until they are worn and then getting new tire B and saying they are better is not a fair comparison.

#29 ·
Sport rider magazine just did a street tire comparison. Buy tires based on the type of riding you do. It's best to take ego out of your tire buying needs along with most things regarding motorcycles. Why waste money on super sticky tires if you don't ride hard enough to utilize them and vice versa. If you have a half inch of unused tire on either side and a flat spot down the middle , be smart, buy a good sport touring tire. Michelin and Pirelli both make great tires!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.