Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

'08 mid fairing removal

146K views 169 replies 116 participants last post by  Macman756 
#1 ·
i recommend not doing it unless you're a very patient person. it's easier when you know how to do it, but it's still a pain in comparison the the previous models. the entire ram air portion has to come off with it. once the fairing is actually loose, you have to disconnect an electrical connector as well as a vacuum line. there's a panel on the inside that has to come off as well as the panel underneath the nose. not a fun affair, but if anyone is planning on tackling it, i can try to give some pointers. i was expecting it to be fairly simple like my '06, but not so much!

#10 · (Edited)
It's really not that bad.There are fewer screws than the old bike, and many more tabs. It kind of folds apart. I was'nt looking forward to doing it, but it was easier than I expected. Yes, you need some patience, but anyone can do it. Here is a step by step;

First remove these four bolts.

Then remove the three snap clips from the inner cover. Just push a phillips head screwdriver or something else pointy into the center of the clip and it will release.

Here's the cover once it's been removed.

Next, remove the two plastic phillips head clips inside the front fairing. On the right side shown here it's not necessary to remove the rear one, but on the left side you must because the wiring harness runs behind it.

Then give the ram air intake duct a tug toward the outside. It should pop free. I've previously removed the flapper valves, vacuum cylinders and plugs, so they're not shown. Simply unplug the vacuum hose and connector and it will be free.

Then pull the ram air duct free from the airbox where it passes through the frame. It may take a hard tug.

Then move to the bottom of the fairing. Pull the rear of the black aft fairing outward and unseat the tab from the mid fairing.

Then, right behind the front wheel you need to pop the tab loose shown with the arrow by pulling the mid fairing forward. Then it will all slide apart and you are ready to do the other side. It's almost exactly the same.

To put them back on, it all slips together rather easily. Just reverse the order of these steps. It seems pretty tough, but after having them off a few times, it only takes a couple of minutes to take them off.

If any one else has any tips, let's hear them.

#146 ·
Thread is old - but may never die

It's really not that bad.There are fewer screws than the old bike, and many more tabs. It kind of folds apart. I was'nt looking forward to doing it, but it was easier than I expected. Yes, you need some patience, but anyone can do it. Here is a step by step
It's stuff like this that makes the internet so freaking miraculous. I had such a horrible time last year doing an oil change for the first time on my '09 Repsol (no, I don't go 3 years between changes, I picked it up used, ha!) and I was cursing and swearing like nobody's business. Because I had a '01 929 before that, and that thing was a sweet picnic lunch to work on. This design is ridiculous. And sport rider (or motorcyclist, one of them) just did a spot-on article about how the few ounces they shave off these bikes here and there make for tom-foolery and frustration when it comes to the simplest maintenance tasks.

THANKS for the step-by-step. I have a PC V, IRC and a FIAMM horn set I have to do, so I'll be tacking this eventually. Nice to have your guide. Even though I found the service manual online, I like your pictures BETTER!

#11 ·
i think that pretty much sums it up. i had a problem getting the ram air tubes lined back up, then the gasket didn't want to go back on, so i ended up doing it about 5 times before getting it back together right

#12 ·
Big time thanks BigSwede!!! I tried pulling of the mid when I changed the oil and one of the very flimsy clips on the top right snapped off so I stopped. Doesn't seem to affect anything but does annoy the piss out of me. Your pics will help a whole bunch.

#95 ·
I find it easy to remove the fairings, however i never undo the under/lower fairing fom the mid fairing i just undo both mid fairings and drop them to the floor. However i already removed the flappers and all the lines and solonoids.

Once you have taken of the inner covers and ram air cover on the upper cowl, just unclip the first 3 trim clips on the inner cowl thats inside the front of the left middle cowl coz theres a harness inside, you need to unclip it from the trim clip that runs throught the innercowl/ram air duct into the left middle cowl. Also undo the allen head bolts that connect the inner cover to upper cowl,

tug a bit on the ram air ducts to unseat them, then you can drop the whole lot to the floor in one peice.

still sucks , but it not to bad once u know it.........

#21 ·
Negative....'06-'07 are totally different.....The 6-7 models are VERY easy to remove...take you bout 2.5 minutes

I love the ease of working on my bike...Honda thought of everything when dessigning this bodywork for quickness of removal for track, street etc...

I've heard over and over the '08 is a bit of a pain in the ass to do such simple tasks....Just more refined and condensed I guess...

#23 ·
I knew they would make it a pain... Just helped my boss with his 08 R6 and its just such a PITA. What happened to 4-6 screws and a couple of pins? Yes its been about 15 years since I owned a rocket. BMW is just as bad but all the screws are torx.

Thanks for the information, it will really help a lot of us out.

#26 ·
I have to replace the front cowl due to my 7 yr old tipping it off the track stand - luckily only broke off the upper parts of the cowl, the new windscreen, and a few scratches on the left upper bodywork.

Will I have to follow the steps outlined above to replace the front cowl?

#29 ·
Having removed all the bodywork off the '08 blade, I'd recommend taking your time and doing it a couple of times. Also, I'd get rid of the flapper crap (find the thread) because once that stuff is removed and plugged, it makes removing the mid a ton easier.

#32 ·
Thanks BigSwede for the pic,s as well as text . as I have a new 2008 1000rr CandyGloryRed it will be handy to keep just in case the need arises. It,s the first for me but what a bike just carnt wait to get past the first 1000miles. it has taken me two days of road tests to get the suspenion setup for myself now it feels part of me.
regards
Navi

#39 ·
It finally got stickied; now we just need it moved to the 08 mods section *hint hint*

#37 ·
I needed a new left/right air ducts/intakes and bought a "hogged-out" set from one of the forum members. He took all of the "crap" out from the inside of the ducts. I didnt need to put the vacuum lines, hoses, etc. This works much easier to remove and replace. I have it down to a science now. Took the completed bike into DMV (per their request, needed to be as driveable). Then they said, "We cant find the engine number". Honda placed it at the front bottom end of the crankcase. I had to ride it home. Spent 5 minutes, had the left/right sides off. Took it back to DMV and showed them the "hidden" tab with the engine number. They signed it off, rode it back home. 7 minutes to put back on... damn I'm good!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.