Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Throttlemeister cruise control on 2009 CBR 1000RR

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  TedEbear 
#1 ·
Throttlemeister cruise control on 2009 CBR 1000RR

The Throttlemeister CC comes with everything you need for a perfect installation. If you've got yourself a decent set of tools and don't mind working on your bike, this thing will go on in about an hour and you'll be sitting pretty. It's a reverse thread, which makes learning it feel natural because the TM locks the gas by turning the bar end weight in the same direction as when you give it the gas. And it releases in the opposite way. I had to cut the end safety wire on my ProGrip 714 (throttle side) so I could roll it back to install the friction collar, but aside from that it went pretty much as planned. The parts fit my 2009 CBR 1000RR perfectly.

The TM is a step up from the Vista Cruiser ones I have been using forever. I haven't had great success with the Vista on the CBR 1000, so I plunked down the substantial cash for the TM, and I am happy to say it was worth it. Prolly cost like a hondo fifty, or thereabouts.

The instructions were a little lacking. I can see now why there's no easy link to the directions on the TM website. Good thing there's illustrations, cause the text is pretty much non-existent when it comes to installing the main piece. There's no description of how to actually insert their new bar weight. I thought I was going to have to pound it in, but just pressing was enough to get it to go. This would certainly not be the case with the factory one I had just removed. The OEM piece that I needed to use the puller tool on was not inserted at the factory with mere hand pressure, that's for sure. So that makes me wonder, will the business end of the Throttlemeister stay put over time? Hmmmm... can't say. I only just installed it a few hours ago.

But I did take the CBR for a couple of short spins, and after a very brief period of fumbling, I already kind of have the feel for it. It holds the throttle dead solid exactly where I want it, and moves without releasing if I need to make a change. If you look you can see the gap where the Vista was. The Vista, when tightened to work effectively, never did not allow the total freedom of movement the Tmeister does when disengaged. This is a well made product.

It adds to the look cool too. I went for the milled.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I used a set of these on my '06 GSXR1000 several times when I've gone a a few road trips. It works as promised, although the setup does take a bit of time. Very nicely machined, too. They are a bit on the weighty side, and while this may aid in soaking up the vibrations, you can feel the way that they slow down quick transitions while using bar inputs.

#5 ·
Throttlemeister - folllow-up

I did the standard ones. And yes, they are heavy, but I can't say I agree w/the comment they slow down steering inputs. };-p

Maybe that guy has the "Spidey Sense". Now, I think those OEM alloy wheels are definitely slowing down steering inputs, which is why I write emails to BST once a year telling them how I LOVE their product, hoping they'll say one day, Yo guy, that's a really nice email. And it just so happens we're looking for a rider in your latitude to test a new set for us ...

Anyway, now that I have thousands of miles on the T-Meister, I really do love it and would never go back to the Vista. Vista was great on two CBRs before this, but it sucked on the '09 1000RR. T-Meister is the bomb.

#10 ·
I installed a standard length set of black on black milled ThrottleMeister units on my new-to-me 2008 CBR1000rr. Installation was very simple and the instructions got me through fine. Strangely I got it adjusted perfectly almost immediately. One thing that really helped me was my buddy's recommendation to use an air nozzle on my air hose to 'inflate' the ProGrip and push it back so it stopped rubbing the TM. Worked perfectly to reposition it. Thanks jleosnow! My TM looks great and is working well for me.

Rob

#11 ·
I use a Vistacruise...I flipped it around so the little piece sticking out sits between the throttle cables correctly and the activation lever is facing forward.....then I shortened the lever down to 1/2 inch and also cut it narrower so I can easily use my index finger to flip it up to engage and down to disengage without removing my hand from the grip. I also cut the flange off my grip so it wouldnt cause any interference issues.

#12 ·
So how do you adjust the T-Meister once it's on?

I'm being lazy, I have the directions out in the garage. But I'm not sure if reviewing the installation is going to clue me in to how to snug it in a little deeper. Cause right now it still works ok, but I can tell in a few more months it's gonna be slipping at high revs (when the vibration helps the throttle spring retract) and I'm gonna have to adjust it.

In the past I tried (gently) bashing the bar end with a rubber mallet. It didn't work. What needs to happen is the whole assembly has got to be snugged in closer, because at lock now it's juuuuuust tight enough to hold the throttle, and it revs down the teeniest bit sometimes now, which it never did. And it never used to go all the way to lock before.

So I'm gonna give this advice to people who have yet to install it - get it so that it contacts the grip at about 1/4 turn. Because when I put it in, I think it was probably a full half-turn (maybe more) before it started to tighten up against the grip.

And that won't last. Anyone who has repositioned it successfully let me know. I can't remember the exact installation process, but there Loctite involved, and maybe that's keeping the thing from going in farther. And I don't want to extract and start again. I'll figure it out. When I do I'll let ya know.

#13 ·
Anyone who has repositioned it successfully let me know. I can't remember the exact installation process, but there Loctite involved, and maybe that's keeping the thing from going in farther. And I don't want to extract and start again. I'll figure it out. When I do I'll let ya know.
Post how you did it if you get it readjusted. I put one on my 08 and it worked well. After I changed grips it wasn't tight enough and I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to loosen it to move it around so that it will work like it should again.

#16 ·
Anyone have instructions? I bought a used set off a member on here and can't figure it out for the life of me. And no instructions online thst I can find.

Thanks

#17 ·
Anyone have instructions? I bought a used set off a member on here and can't figure it out for the life of me. And no instructions online thst I can find.
I just scanned the instructions that came with mine into a pdf for you. It's for an '08 - I don't know if different years have different procedures but they're probably the same.

Throttlemeister Installation Instructions

#20 ·
Omg thank you!!!! So what I had there was a puller tool! I couldn't figure out where they go, and how to use the insert for the throttle side because of the insides. Ahhhhhh now I kjow. Thanks so much again!

#21 ·
Done. So much easier once I figure it all out with your help.

I didn't use the lil rubber grip. Couldn't get it to go under my D3 grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.