Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Went Down Today

3K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  hiddentoken 
#1 ·
Well, as most of these threads start, the odds state that this would happen to me sooner or later and I went down this morning on my 2012 while out on a solo ride.

I was coming into a corner on a country road that ended up having a little gravel in it. When I hit the gravel the rear slid out a bit, which caused me to run the end of the corner wide and into the dirt. That is how I remember it anyway, it happened pretty fast. Once I hit the dirt, it took all I could muster to keep it up. I have watched those videos online of people going down after running wide into the dirt and I thought, I could have saved that. Well let me tell you, once you go off-roading on one of these things, all bets are off.

I laid the bike down at a pretty low speed, but still managed to scratch up the left fairing and snap off the foot peg. I almost feel silly posting this after another member's recent thread. This was obviously nowhere near as bad, but I am still glad to have made out with only a minor scratch on me. I think it is where I landed on a rock.

I am actually kinda glad this happened the way it did. Going down can always be worse and it knocked me back down a bit, as I think I was getting a little too comfortable on the machine. I was wearing an Icon Overlord Prime two piece leather suit, which did it's job like a champ. If I had not been wearing the gear, it would have been a lot worse on me, especially my lower left leg. I am so glad that I wasn't just wearing jeans. Use this as a warning, WEAR YOUR GEAR!

I guess I can now use this fairing for track duty and I can also install some of the parts that I have sitting here waiting to go on, including my CRG GP clutch and Rizoma rearsets. Gotta find the silver lining in the situation. :)

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a left side OEM fairing?

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry to hear you went down, happy to hear you are OK!
Going down always sucks, one feels so stupid, at least I did when it happened to me! Been riding for over 25 years, so yes it does unfortunately happen, especially on these high powered "monsters" riding the lovely FM roads at high speeds!

SRM, can you give an example of good sliders, especially if there are some out there for the CBR that does not need modifying the fairings? I have the 2010 CBR1KRR.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone. Yeah it sucks, but it's minor and easily fixed now that I have looked her over real good. It might sound strange, but I am actually glad it happened. Now I can tear into the machine and not freak out. It has happened on anything I have ever bought new. There is a time period where you don't want to mess with anything because it's brand new. Once you get a few scrapes or dings, it's all good. Kind of like when you got a new pair of sneakers as a kid, you don't want to mess them up, so you are really careful. Once you get that first scuff, you don't really worry anymore and can get out there and have fun. Does that make sense?

BryGuy, I am not going to get the insurance involved on this one. I already have some parts that I was going to put on and my deductible is above what this will cost to replace if I do all the work.

#17 ·
Glad you are ok. Its always in the back of my mind when I see gravel patches midway through a corner that this can happen. Touch wood not yet.
You might get away with vinyl wrapping your fairings man. It only costs about $60 and a bit of time. I just wanted a color change but if the plastics arent split then it will be a cinch if you want to keep with the black. Just a thought.

Attachments

#21 ·
Gravel, mud, ice, sand and occasionally oil. They all scare the piss out of me when I seen them in a turn going at a good pace. Glad you didn't fracture anything and I'm glad your fixing your bike. Good luck.

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about that man. It really does suck to go down on the new model. Glad your ok.

I went down on mine at the track on 10/10. At the end of the 2nd lap of the last session. 10 minutes before going home, 10 minutes!!!

The part that sucks for me was that it was because i was impatient i was behing a fellow 2010 CBR1000RR i wanted to pass him for a while but i thoght i'll get him on the drive out of turn 5 or the little short back straight before turn 6 so i waited and executed everything according to plan on the drive out of turn 5. I was on a high for passing that other rider.

i like driving out of corners spinning the rear and exiting like a bat out off hell. I went to turn 6 one of my fav turns like nothing, carrying alot of corner speed. The whole corner was fine no issue whatsoever I WAS ALREADY ON THE EXIT of the corner when you have already gone thru most of the points where the risk of loosing grip is at is highest. i gave it too much throttle and the rear went underneath me. I honestly didnt even sense the rear slip, nothing. next thing i know ime im sliding, hearing those familiar sounds, and me in disbelief. Because i knew what they were!!!

Im happy to report that as of Friday the bike is as if nothing happened. WE are now bonded by a new experience together. It has gotten the touch that now it feels thats now my bike. Unfortunatly thats how it is and we just have to deal and adapt.

#24 ·
Thanks for the offer Cobalt, but I already have one on the way. Just waiting on a couple of replacement parts to arrive, then she will be back, looking good as new. Well, better than new IMO because she will finally have the rearsets and levers that I have been waiting to install. :)

#29 ·
I'm kinda glad to see that I'm not the only one...

I was coming home from work today, hadn't even left base yet, when my rear slid out from under me in a turn. I've been riding for 3 years now and this is the first time I've dropped a bike.. Cold weather (40 degrees), cold pavement, slight moisture on the ground, and cold tires = slippery!!!

I'm just glad that I got frame sliders, extended/weighted bar ends, and rear spools/sliders when I first bought the bike. Other than cracking the rear plate frame arm and a very minor scuff to the mirror my bike is still pristine. Sliders = money well spent :th_dblthumb2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.