Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

05 fireblade won't start and no fault codes

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TL_1000rr 
#1 ·
Hey guys, New to the forum and I just got an 2005 Fireblade, She is beautiful and a Honda so obv one of the best ever made!! but I've had a few issues with it on part could be some of my fault. I am not new to motors so I plan to do all the work myself. So It has been always hard to cold start but when running it starts no problem. Recently I can not get it to start at all. I had a fault for the (ect) coolent sensor so I decided to check it out and what I found was that the connector that connects from the harness had a loose connection. From touching connectors in there I see this could be a problem for more than just that one connector as they all seem to feel a bit loose. It started and ran after that and when I put it all back together I got a sputter and then nothing. So I don't think that was my original problem with the starting but 1 problem fixed. I also noticed when I was in there if I wiggled the full harness my dash lights would flicker. I checked the one ground but I'm not sure if there was more that could be loose. Someone has been through the bike before mabey trying to find the same problem. I read that there are stator problems with these bikes so I ordered one and also a new set of plugs to replace also. Not here till next week. It has a PC3 and I updated the firmwear and map and also tryed the fuel acc pump at 15% 1st 15 rotations. seemed to help but now it won't start at all. I hear the PC3 maps run rich and I haven't been able to go for a long ride so may have fowled the plugs. It smells like fuel when I turn it over and it will fire once or twice quick then noting at all. I've also tryed holding it wide open and starting it with no luck. So if anyone has any suggestions that I have missed or a problem like mine I'd appreciate any advice or help anyone has for me. Thanks Ohh also I do hear the pump prime and I have checked that the kickstand switch does test ok

See less See more
#2 ·
When you will get the new stator and plugs, when you will instal them, try to remove the power comander and try without it.check throttle position senzor also.
Batery conection and fuses also.when you will change spark plugs, check do they trow a spark!there are many things that can go wrong!

#3 ·
Yea today I took it apart and got to the plugs and checked the spark it is weak and the plugs are covered in carbon and don't even spark to the tip they spark across the side. I checked them on different coils and diff plugs and they seem shot. I also ordered the HID angel eyes for it to install. I also want to do the PAIR and Flapper mods while I'm inside there. I did check the battery connection and fuses also before in my checks. The only other thing I think if this doesn't work is fuel delivery. Here are some pics of where I am at now. if anyone has a link on the site of how too hook my angel eyes to low beams and low beams to a separate switch that would be helpful also. High function would stay high beams. To remove the intake ram air part does that come out the front or the motor side? Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Wow, you have some project going on!
I suggest you fix it and close it and then start playing with the HID's!
Does the fuel pump primes when you turn on ignition?
I am not very familiar with the 05 models, i have 08 and still havemt opened it that deep.

#7 ·
well I hear the sound of it priming so it should be ok but im not positive that it is. I think its definitely an electrical problem because when it starts it runs good, no spudders or any thing after its running. It has no codes coming up but I did have one that I fixed the (fi 7 short blinks) (ect sensor) but it was a bad connection and when I fixed it it went away. It ran with that code on in the past. I'm really thinking the plugs were the cause of it. I tore it down that far because this is how hard it is to get to the plugs, I've never seen anything this hard to get to the plugs. While i'm in there I'm taking out the pair system and opened up the ram air intake and removed the flapper.
And my lighting is not the reason it wont start, so please keep your negative comments to yourself.

#10 ·
naw you didn't, the comment on my lights, So I wanted to update on all this. So I defiantly recommend changing the plugs for a hard start. I put them in today and I bet it did'nt even crank over 1 full time and fired up real clean. The best its ran yet. Well this is after I figured out y I couldnt get the PC3 to power up and the tank to prime. My fault I didn't realize the upright indicator was part of the front end i took apart to do the headlights. Girlie actually figured it out! :eek: It is still not all back together but I did plug it all in to run it for a min. I'll take some pics of the angel eyes when I do them. Thanks for the help guys! Also I was glad to see that the Pair MOD, Flapper removal and gutted air duct didn't throw any FI Codes.

#11 ·
Just wanted to update on some pics I took of a few different things I've done, Mabey It will help If someone else is trying to do some things.

Some pics of installing the angel eyes, I put some blinkers on the back sides, I rewired all the led strips on the bike that were there when I got it, I moved the rear brake reservoir down. I still need to get a smaller one but made a simple bracket for it for now. Next I am going to add stacks from the 06-07 model and probably do the plastic swap also. Any other suggested mods that I have looked over?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.