Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Trailer tarp suggestions?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  mind 
#1 ·
Getting ready for a long haul and i would like to keep the bike out of the weather as much as possible. What are you all using for a bike tied down to an open trailer?

Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
I'm gonna start out by saying what I'm posting is not about a bike but about bass boats. I know I'll get flamed because it's not the same but here goes.

Unless you can find a fitted cover that is specifically designed for tailering I wouldn't cover it. I have seen too much damage from the wind beating the cover against boats. Some of the covers were supposed to be approved for use while trailering. You'll feel sick to your stomach if you uncover it & find damage.

I would tow as is & clean it when I arrive. That's just me & my opinion.

#7 ·
I have a Kendon open trailer that I have used for around 8k miles. I have never had a problem, I believe the bike is more at risk to road junk while being ridden than while being pulled on an open trailer. I cover the bike when I arrive at my destination, but have never done it while the bike is on the trailer. And will never do it while pulling the bike for reasons already mentioned.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I got some sato street hooks and handlebar adapters so nothing is touching the bike. Im gonna leave it in the open and locked to the trailer. Staying the night in a hotel with it on a trailer doesn't make me feel easy though. I got a 4x7 open trailer from Tractor supply. Bike fits perfect.

#13 ·
I would say do not use cover, and tarp?? Never! Why? You will scratch lots of things.
You will need lots of movers blankets and wrap it nicely and tight and then you can put tar and try to secure it as much as you can not to move. If the end of tarp has free play, and its constant in one way, it can warm up a lot. I would leave it open or get a plastic wrap like they come paccked or the one that we use in kitchen if you wamt to protect color from some wet weather!
I used to drove flat bed trailer on my semi truck and i used to tarp every load and chain it or strap it!
When haul my bike on my open trailer on my pick up truck i put 4 straps and front wheel chock! No problems for lots of miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.