Importing a motorcycle from the US into Ontario, Canada - Page 2 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

This is a great step by step on how to import. I just had some new information that can make it even easier.

The worst part of importing/exporting is having to give a stranger money and asking them to send the title/ownership to the border. There is a way around this.

You actually don't need to "export" the bike before coming into Canada. When you get to the border, just keep on driving to the Canadian side. Once you get to the Canada border, you go through the same process listed in the post. That way there is no need to send the seller any money before you get the bike.

Exporting the bike is a US law and Canada will NOT enforce a US law. They actually don't even ask if you stopped on the US side.

Then what you can do once you get the bike home. You send the title to the border of your choice, and get the title stamped when it's convenient for you.

If you never plan on bringing the bike over the border again, you don't even really need to ever "export" it.

I hope this new info helps...
Ott_CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Akinz Motorsports

Worth it!

Excellent write up. I think you only pay the GST at the Canadian side because once you register it and plate it then you will pay the PST portion.

Isn't it crazy what people are asking for used bikes here compared to the states?

5 years ago I bought an 05 R6 with 1000mi on it with some aftermarket goodies for $6200. You couldn't find a damn 2002 for that price back then.

If there is anybody getting discouraged because it LOOKS like a lengthy process don't let that get to you. Think of all the dough you've just saved!

I'm assuming you're from Ontario since you came through Sarnia?
Where abouts are you? I'm up in Huntsville.
akinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #13

I also got my bike from the states ( a few years ago now)... it was so much cheaper than buying it here.
I payed a broker $500 to basically do everything to get the bike here.... was worth the extra money
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Bumblebee

This is great info. I have been wanting to purchase a Car from Canada and bring it over To the U.S. Is it all the same process? I want to purchase a Rhd car but I know that it might be hard due to the US having LHd cars. I also have a friend who has his own dealer plate. Could we possibly buy a car from Canada and bring it into the U.S with a dealer plate(driving)? Any info would help,thanks .
Jdmdikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #15

I cannot comment on exporting a car from Canada, I only know the procedure for exporting from the US, you'd have to contact your state governemt since the importing rules are likely different, especially for a right hand drive car.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
R.J

can anone confim what "Ott CBR" said, about not having to stop at the US side of the customs, and just riding it over to the Canadian side, then dealing with the paper work on Canadian side?
Sounds like the US customs people are strick.
R.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

They will not physically stop you from leaving the US with the bike (since theres no one checking), but on the canadian side you will need to report to customs. When you export a vehicle from the US, you get a form (can't remember what it is called anymore) you give to the canadian side. It is possible you can get through without it, but I cannot confirm that. Haven't heard of anyone else doing it, but doesn't mean its not doable.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

Interesting ....... sounds like I'll be buying my 1000rr down south.
High_on_HUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement