Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

RS Taichi GMX-Motion Jacket

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  shikikanzero 
#1 ·
I recently bought this jacket used. One of the shoulder protectors is discolored(yellowish) where as the other one is seemingly in perfect condition. Just wondering if there is anything I can use to bring it back to it's original color. The seller suggested using a headlight restore kit on it, wanted to know what you all thought.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you can restore that yellow color that easily. That's the nightmare color of discolored plastic. If you take a knife and shave a little bit off the side and see that the color is still discolored, it most likely means that the plastic itself has changed color from the inside.

I have some plastic toys and it's happened to them and some were salvageable after sanding them down carefully with fine sand paper. Most of them just were not. I have no chemistry background but someone told me that the oil in the plastic is the problem. He said something about the oil film coming to the surface, etc etc.

The only solution if it has changed from the inside is to replace the plastic, paint over the plastic, or mask it with another colored tape. I'd do the colored tape option if I were you. My recommendation, cut out a template, then use silver reflective tape and mask it. Makes you more visible. Gives it an accent and looks new.

#4 ·
Not even sure about the warranty, I bought it from a guy on the 600rr forums. Unfortunately I didn't see it in the pics he put up, other than that the jacket is in great condition. Damn, was really hoping I could get it back to its original color, thanks for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.