Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Good helmet around $250.00

9K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  Jake-n-g-burg 
#1 ·
Hey all, i was wondering what you guys wrap you're dome in? i have an Icon airframe love the features, fit, and how quiet it is. the graphics are over the top like most icon gear but none the less, a great helmet.

what are you're favorites and what should i stay away from? not trying to break the bank but if quality is there i can justify the bucks. read the Icon Helmet thread just wanted to dig a little deeper. thanks

#6 ·
i'm an arai for life guy.... been wearin them forever, and so i know the medium size fits me perfect, which is why i can buy them used on ebay for 1/3 the cost of new (yep, used on ebay)... granted they are almost new, i don't buy the crap ones there, and i'm not worried about getting someone elses disease, cause if it don't kill ya it makes ya stronger lol.... anyways, IMO arai is the best (atleast for me it is).. if it was me, i would go to a local dealership, try on the different helmets you like, then go to ebay and find the same one (same size, etc...) and buy it there.... that way you get a $500 helmet for half price or less... ebay people have to be 100% positive feedback and great photos, description, etc.... i haven't been dissappointed yet, there are some great deals there... but i'm sure someone here will say they got ripped off on ebay, ebay sucks, etc.... it's all what your willin to risk....

#8 ·
repsol wfo thanks for the info, i agree about others germs " i aint scared of ebola". i will try that and just get a quality helmet for what i want to pay. bell helmets were always great for my mountain bike but i just cant trust a hundred dollar helmet for my motorcycle when my last mountain bike bell was around the same price. wolfpack im trying to not go full retard

#11 ·
wolfpack bell qualifier is around $110, yes its bottom of the barrel but its in line with my point. thanks lexus i am between AGV k3 sv and a couple Sharks right now but when i narrow it down a bit from there i will pm you. thanks again everyone for your input

#13 ·
Nothing wrong with Icons. They're ECE, Snell and DOT rated.

Nothing wrong with HJCs either. They're relatively cheap but still good qulaity. Don't fall into the "Shoei/Arai/Nexx or nothing" hype.

I have an Arai helmet but would have no problem with wearing either an Icon or HJC. The only real requirement I have for buying a helmet is a Snell rating (at the least) and a really good fit.

I prefer the all-encompassing "racer fit," which squishes your face more, but that's just personal preference.

#15 ·
thanks guys that makes sense. i am a solid Medium and most closeouts / sale helmets seem to be in one or the other extreme on size. as long as its safe, quiet, and, fits good i don't really mind the brand. just want quality that i don't have to go whore myself out downtown a couple weekends to pay for.

P.s. drbuyers where in NC are you at. i'm on the other side of the mountain from Ashville in Gatlinburg, Tn. ever make it up this way? to the dragon perhaps?

#17 ·
Awesome! thanks if you guys ever are in the area p.m. me. i'm the kitchen manager of the Park Grill in Gatlinburg. Giant Log building on you're Right (second Building) as you Come into town from the park. stop in and have a beer and a steak.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it up

#18 ·
quality helmet

not to be a smartass. but if your doing trackdays or aggressive canyon riding I would not limit the value of my wellbeing to $250.
as helmet technology rises so does the price.

#19 ·
not to be a smartass. but if your doing trackdays or aggressive canyon riding I would not limit the value of my wellbeing to $250.
as helmet technology rises so does the price.
Please do tell how. Feel free to post a link to the studies in which you gathered your information to support such a statement.

'Cuz if you're right, then only the most expensive helmets are safe to use at the track :popcorn2:

#21 ·
Repsol i see you're point; however, 90% of my riding is commuting and cruising the mountains with friends. there are no tracks in my area. nothing too aggressive when we do ride but, when i get to the track day level $500- $600 for a helmet is justifiable. just not now. looking for SAFE and comfortable.

drbyers- for me the dragon is what it is. for the most part..packed full of cruisers, squids, and rice burners depending on the time of year. its is definitely something to do before you die but my favorite part is all the fantastic roads getting there. the dragon is just the cherry on top.

#31 ·
Right now is the prime time to find 1 year old models. You can find $500 Icon Carbon RR Airframe helmets, $5-$700 AGV GP Tech, Grid, T-2, and pretty much any High end brand for that $250 or less.
I just snagged a "Stig" looking $400 AGV Grid for less than half. Probably the best fitting streetbike helmet i own. Did the same with this Suomy Vandal when Parts Unlimited was getting rid of that brand. So far i own a Bell, The Suomy and now the AGV but didnt pay more than $200.
The Suomy is a tad big, doesn't fit the best since it is pretty round shaped unlike most other helmets, plus it feels like it could use more/thicker padding like the AGV has, but it is still made pretty well. So here are the 2 helmets i use and that were found dirt cheap, but arent dirt cheap in quality

#34 ·
Good thread, alot of useful info from these guys. I have a Joe rocket helmet and would definitely like to upgrade mine. The fit isn't the greatest as some have said for the cheaper helmets. One feature I like is the pin lock shield, I would definitely get that again. With the insert, I haven't had the shield fog up once. You just have to take them apart once in a while and clean with soap and warm water and you're good to go.

It does say on there for daytime use only (maybe there's increased glare) but I have ridden at all times of the day with no problems.

Good luck with the research, let us know what you come up with.

#38 ·
I've worn Shoei my entire life. Never had to use one in a fall however so I can't comment on that. I picked mine up for just a bit over 400 new.

I was just In Gatlinburg the second week of november. Wish I had seen this as I would have stopped in to say hi. We were there during the chili cookout downtown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.