Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Glove advice needed

7K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  TedEbear 
#1 ·
I am after some advice. I do mainly street riding, fairly aggressive and on New Zealand roads which are quite twistie. Our temps are between 44f and 84f. Was looking at A* sp2 but would appreciate any advise. I ride all year round. So there is the odd wet weather day.

#2 ·
Depends on what kind of risk you are willing to take. I started with A* scheme with kevlar stitching, but it fell apart quick. While I was in Las Vegas for a business trip, I rented a bike and needed to get gloves. I bought the A* SMX-3, which seems to be more for dirt bike than street bike. Although it was very comfortable in the hot desert, in retrospect, it offered little protection.

Finally, I got paranoid about the glove falling off during a slide so I got the A* SP1. Glove seems to be well-built, but my hands get super hot despite the perforations. It also has knuckle reinforcements and I got it on sale last winter.

If you think you might do a track day, go with gauntlet style gloves.

#3 ·
Asphalt and skin are like oil and water. I'd get a pair of gauntlet style gloves. The feeling of knowing your body is protected is priceless. $100 budget is a good place to start in my opinion. My recommended brand for gloves would be Taichi, then Alpinestars.

#8 ·
I have the first generation Titans and they are badass... pretty much feel like they could punch a tank shell back at said tank.

Only issue I had was they were sitting in my closest for 2 years when I was overseas and the glue/adhesive holding the outer titanium knuckle plate got dry and I ripped it off when seeing how brittle it had become. Otherwise, they are stellar gloves. I'm gonna re-stick the thing back on before next track day

#11 ·
used to wear alpine stars until the local bike dealer turned me on to Sedici Gloves. i tried on at least 5 different company's gloves and the Sedici was by far the best all the way around. nicest feeling gloves and the price point was much better than the crappy alpine stars. not to knock on alpine star gloves, but the quality was crap compared to Sedici's material and stability over time. and the protection is everywhere on those gloves and they DON'T fall apart. gone through four sets so far and wont ever wear anything else. only reason ive gone through several sets is bc i ride a ton and and like having that new pair feel. can still wear my old set of gloves and would still be happy with them as they are still in almost new condition....

#16 ·
There are some great gloves mentioned in this thread, but you need to find something that protects AND fits properly. IMO, best thing to do would be to hit a few shops and spend a few hours finding the best fitting glove that offers the most protection.

#20 ·
I bought Joe Rocket gloves for summer riding and they fell apart after 4 months. I put alot of road miles on. Don't waste your money, buy better gloves like they are suggesting. Plus I'm sure those gloves I had would've tore off my hands first impact, that's what you DON'T want!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.