Shark Speed-R Review : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Newbster

Shark Speed-R Review

so, i've gotten a good amount of riding time with this Shark Speed-R, time to give my review.

what made it stand out for me was the "sun visor", which is on-the-go tint; easily flipped either up or down for convenient tinting. the plus side of it was Shark's designing and aerodynamic testing to make this helmet "for the naked bike riders", like Streetfighters, cruisers, etc.

when I first started riding back in 08', i used a used HJC helmet. it was huge, uncomfortable, stinky, and looked hideous! i upgraded to a Shoei RF-1000 when i saved up enough money, and i loved that helmet all the way up until i bought this Speed-R.

the Speed-R fits nice, cushioning and inner liners are made of nice materials that are easy to take out and wash when needed, and there are proper pressure points to keep the helmet in place, but wont give you a headache. the Shoei is just a TAD bit more compact around the lower shell of the helmet, which helps with looking over your shoulder, so this gives a sense of the helmet being smaller and lighter, but in fact the Speed-R weighs 130 grams lighter.

aerodynamics of the helmets, the Speed-R wins out no doubt. the Shoei has simple features, where as the Speed-R has a rear lower wind de-buffeting spoiler lip and two upper spoilers to help with high-speed stability and also creates a venturi affect to cool the inner liner. the wind de-buffeting spoiler almost eliminates that "back and forward" rush that throws your head around when riding on the highway and above the windscreen of your motorcycle (if your motorcycle has a windscreen).

to me, the Shoei costing $550, didn't give me the sense that it was a "top of the line" helmet. the Speed-R shipped for $465 from Europe, feels like a top of the line helmet; with it's inner liner material to the dual visor, to the outer shell, paint, and branding, and finally to all the aerodynamic tweaks and features.

+1 for Shark.

kjoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #2

Pedobear? LOL
-Leo Vince SBK Oval EVOII Carbon #7949
-Bazzaz Z-Bomb -PC-V -K&N air filter
-ECV/servo motor delete & pdfruth's ESRM
-Flapper Delete (click ME for "how to" pics!)
-Volt HID H7 bulbs -Clear Stompgrips
-HRC solo rear cowl -HRC carbon fiber tank pad
-Honda Energy Seat -Yoshimura FE

-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #3

Great review. Awesome pics. How's the visor without the set indents? Does it stay put in the cracked position? In the cracked position, does the wind blow straight up into your eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Newbster

@cobra90gt: yep, lol, it's a long time inside joke between me and my buddies back home.

@boardnflip: visor has a good heavy and smooth mechanism, so it stays where you want it, and locks smoothly with the helmet anchor (the little silver dot on the helmet).

with it cracked, wind does blow in, but at what speeds are you inquiring? i can ride with it slightly cracked in the morning going no more than 45mph without much irritation iirc.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

@kjoons, I have an Arai that doesn't blow at all into my eyes at any speed, but I also have an O'neal Fastrack that directs the wind straight into my eyes at the slowest speeds. Very difficult to keep my eye's open and the tears start coming. It's actually better to flip the visor all the way open, but then slam it shut when I get up to speed. It's become something I look for in a new helmet, and I'm very interested in the shark speed r. Is there room inside for a bluetooth comms speaker system?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Newbster

yeah there is, they call it their "shark tooth" system....

i've tried an arai for a few days, not enough for me to give a solid review or opinion on, but i do have to say, arai's have the aerodynamics down to a very very fine science, from what i can remember at least..... maybe which is why they cost a months hard work of savings and hold their value so well.

when the rain stops pouring, ill take the bike out and keep the visor fully open then slightly cracked and i'll give you a solid statement of whether or not it makes me cry. lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Newbster

took the bike out the other morning. cracked position; no irritation... fully open; no irritation until about 40mph.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #8

Thanks. Keep posting things you like and don't like as you discover them.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Newbster

one flaw, i wish there were more options for the visor and sun visor... i'd like a mirrored sun visor or a replacement visor, without paying the hefty $150.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

i been looking at this Shark, thanks for the write up
Advertisement