Nikko MotoRacing Vortex N916 orange helmet : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Nikko MotoRacing Vortex N916 orange helmet

Nikko Motoracing helmet N916 Vortex, with optional smoke colored shield. I bought this when I got the Repsol, which was around August, 2011. I've ridden the bike about 11K miles with this helmet in all weather except SNOW!

The pic was taken thru a window - all I have right now, sorry.

Bottom line - I love this helmet. It's a steal for the price and it's orange scheme is a near-perfect match to my Honda Repsol.

I always swap the mirrored, smoke-colored shield out for the clear one that comes with the Vortex when daylight savings ends.

Pros - Price, color and graphics, physical styling, function, comfort, DOT rated, features like reflectors and sunshield, I like the 916, reminds me of the Ducati. I like that it's Nikko, because I'm Miko.

Cons - Loud, breezy, face shield sometimes flies up at speed when looking over my shoulder, vents are hard to find.

I don't mind that it's loud because I never hit the highway without ear plugs.

No worries with this Vortex. If you read "Blowing the Lid Off", the talked-about Motorcyclist independent helmet review from about 5 years ago, where the ZRP Z-1 StrikeBlade (a $100 lid) came out on top with the most protection against brain injury, then you already know the scam that is current helmet pricing. I personally owned, used, and unfortunately "tested" the ZRP Z-1 when some dopey bastard reared me while waiting to make a turn. It truly is a fine helmet.

My friend's reaction to my Nikko helmet was "I can't believe you'd put a $150 lid on your head." It's deeply ingrained cost snobbery. Not his fault. If you want the feature list from the Vortex N916, you can look it up. I really never use the sunshield, but it's cool that it's there, I guess. If I forget my sunglasses one day. I love that I didn't have to settle for graphics like a graveyard or The Reaper or a bomb exploding. Just nice swirlies.

I've been caught in HEAVY rain in this helmet and I guess it's as "water tight" as anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NikkoVortex_Repsol.jpg (173.0 KB, 35 views)
Yoshi R-77 full, SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail kit/Throttlemeister/CRG Spectrum Roll-A-Click shawtys/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Carbone Lorraine brakes/Spiegler braided lines (orange)/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod
FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Repsol 4T Racing 3L oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

Ok, i maybe missing it but what is the price?

Duh, I see now. Nice set up bud!

Last edited by RW_Robert; 11-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
RW_Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Lifetime Premium

What helmet did you have prior to this? Any idea how the fitment compares to that of a HJC brand...or SHOEI?

‎"What can you ever really know of other people's souls—of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands."

"The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable."
~ The Weight of Glory
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

That's what I missed!! Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
What helmet did you have prior to this? Any idea how the fitment compares to that of a HJC brand...or SHOEI?
These cheaper helmets will never hug your face like an HJC. I remember my old HJC - I would have to be careful not to bite the insides of my cheeks because there were so well, uhh... "supported". Shoei, almost the same, and both Shoei and HJC are relatively quiet, and not too drafty.

The $150 Vortex fits well. (The ZRP Strikeblade was actually a pretty sloppy fit. Usually LARGE fits me, but their large... it wasn't that it was too big, but kind of LEMONHEAD shaped and just weird.)

The Vortex is a normal large and fits fine. Not sloppy. But not like an HJC. The shield flying up does piss me off, but then I remember the price };-p
Yoshi R-77 full, SS shawty/Pirelli Angels/Hotbodies tail kit/Throttlemeister/CRG Spectrum Roll-A-Click shawtys/GB Racing engine covers/Honda eCushion seat/Carbone Lorraine brakes/Spiegler braided lines (orange)/Cox radiator guard/Radiator spaced for fan clearance/Engine Ice coolant/Dynojet PC-V/Dynojet IRC/K&N AF/Flapper mod
FIAMM Freeway blaster horns/Repsol 4T Racing 3L oil/SportRider suggested suspension settings (preload left stock)
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

Nikko Vortex helmet - how it stands up after a few years

This Vortex has stood up okay. There's some cracking of the soft pleather material on the bottom, but all in all for the price it's a great value. I got it in 2011, end of summer. As I said before, it's the perfect orange for the Repsol.

Lately some mods were necessary. I just re-lined the seal that contacts the faceshield with rubberized electrical tape. I let the helmet and the tape get really warm, next to a wood stove, for a few hours. Then I stretched the tape like mad (rubberized tape does this very well) and pull it into shape along the existing OEM rubber seal. Hopefully it will stay on when I'm riding at speed in the cold wind. I wouldn't say this mod was absolutely necessary, but the thing was getting quite drafty, and my face very cold. I also tightened down the plastic screws that are accessible once the face shield is off. There are two on each side. They keep the shield ratcheting mechanism snug. The shield was dropping all the time, and hopefully this will help. I tightened the screws once before, and it didn't seem to do anything. But the shield does feels tighter this time, when I open and close it.

The other mod I did was 100% necessary. I put a strip of 2-sided tape on the top, along the slide control track of the built-in sun visor. The play was getting sloppy and the visor was creeping down into my field of vision. Since it's dark before 5pm now, the last thing I need is a sun visor darkening my field of view on the way home from work! I hardly ever used that thing anyway. When I hit the highway I always ride with either sunglasses, or clear eye protection if nighttime. They keep stuff from blowing in your eye. The Nikko sun visor is now "permanently" stuck hidden away, but that's okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikko_seal.jpg (164.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Nikko_secure.jpg (110.3 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement