why is a 1000cc bike bad for a beginner? : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #1

why is a 1000cc bike bad for a beginner?

Hello,
I am currently learning to ride motorcycles and my friend is using his gsxr1000 to teach me.I think the size is perfect and its comfortable for me to stand on.Other then power what is the downside of learning on a 1000cc bike? Should I get a 1000 if I'm used to them?
Thanks
Tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
TEAM GAAAD!!!

everything happens much faster on a 1000cc bike, even todays 600's are pretty fast for beginners. on a smaller bike you learn the mechanics, and handling aspects which you will then take to the next level, a 1000 is not forgiving as a 600 or less cc motorcycle, a 1000 will have you on your head so fast you will be wondering what happened, and getting used to riding on one is not the problem the problem will be when you're comfortable on the 1k and feel like you can muscle it around,that its all safe and forgiving.. then it bites!!! lose respect like that for any bike, especially a 1k in a learning phase and you could be possibly hurt/injured or worse...

PS. a 600cc MC on a day to day basis have more power than you could ever need.....

"MAJOR THREAT!"
REKLOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffstuff View Post
Hello,
I am currently learning to ride motorcycles and my friend is using his gsxr1000 to teach me.I think the size is perfect and its comfortable for me to stand on.Other then power what is the downside of learning on a 1000cc bike? Should I get a 1000 if I'm used to them?
Thanks
There's nothing written in stone that says you can't learn on a liter bike. It's just that when most people begin to learn, they make mistakes. A small mistake made on a Ninja 250, can be a huge mistake on a liter bike.

When you're learning throttle control and clutch control, braking, turning, counter steering, etc....it's easy to slip up. On a small bike, it's a pretty easy thing to recover from. But if you're sitting on a liter bike and pop the clutch too fast, it'll probably get away from you.

And then there is the speed. Things just happen faster on a liter bike. They're very unforgiving machines - it only takes a couple seconds and you're going 100+. It takes a lot of practice to handle a bike at those speeds.

You also need to build muscle memory so that you don't have to think about shifting, braking, turning, etc....so that when something goes wrong, you can concentrate on thinking yourself out of the situation, instead of thinking about which hand to use to engage the clutch.

It takes a lot of saddle time. It's better to learn on something that's more forgiving of your mistakes. I mean, think about it. These are basically race bikes with turn signals. Which do you think it would be easier and safer to learn in, a purpose built race car, or your Mom's Taurus?
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #4

yea that sounds about right.I usually do the same thing with my cars learn to drive it then push till it pushes back...except on a bike that means death.But say If I were to use it just for commuting and looks would it be too terrible? I'm tired of driving my car 60miles a day for school and filling it up every 3rd day with premium (07 subaru wrx-sti).I'm not into doing wheelies or stunts just need something to pick up girls in .My other friend was telling me that the torque in the 1000cc bike helps you drive it easier then a 600cc bike...is that true?If I do get a bike my first mod will be frame sliders also lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Throttle Jockey

The torque of a liter bike is what is going to get you in to the most trouble. They pull so hard, it surprises you. And what do you do when you get surprised? You clench your fists.....i.e hit the gas.....bye bye.

I forgot to add, there is no such thing as just commuting on a liter bike - sooner or later, you're going to open the tap on that thing weather you're prepared for it or not. The temptation is too strong. Be realistic - if you got it, you're gonna use it
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Banned Camp Counselor

there is no downside (to me) learning on a 1000!!! i reccomend u learning on a 1000!!i tell all my friends that with "brand new riders" i usually hear them say-----"ahh its only a 600" and not respect the bike cuz they dont know that a 600 is still a beast and have the potential to kill them faster than a 1000!! usually u hear "wow thats a 1000" and people respect the bike making them a little more carefull on the clutch and gas which is what u wanna do when first starting out! also i seen it way to often that somebody says "oh ill just buy this 600 4 my starter bike"---nooooo!!! nobody needs a starter bike everybody needs a bike bike!! u spend 10k on a "starter bike" 2 weeks later after u "started" now u want a 1000 because all ur friends have 750's and 1000's and u hate having the "bitch bike" and end up losing money trading up to a 1000 because that brand new 600 with 300 miles isnt worth 10000 no more!

if u feel comf. with the 1000 get the 1000 a bunch of people that dont know bikes are gonna tell u nooo its too much but i would say if a 1000 is too much than so is a 600

i dont know exact #s but id like to say that the only diff between a 6 and 1000 is like 2-3 seconds, like 4-5 orgasms, and like $1000---learn on the gsxr 1000 and buy a 1000rr
if ur only gonna be riding in the street, ull keep up with the 1000's just fine on a 600 its only after like 125-140 where ull start falling way behind but u shouldnt be worrying about that those speeds yet anyway.lol

resect the road, respect the bike,and make sure u make it home every night!!
see u on the road!!!!!
rr_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX11Pilot View Post
The torque of a liter bike is what is going to get you in to the most trouble. They pull so hard, it surprises you. And what do you do when you get surprised? You clench your fists.....i.e hit the gas.....bye bye.
I don't know about the clenched fists that doesn't seem like a great idea ...
That would be horrible.I'm talking about cruising with it not punching it out.Oh yes eventually it will be punched out but not until I am completely confident in my ability to manage the bike.I do not push something that I am not totally comfortable with...its just not my way of doing things.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Throttle Jockey

Have you ridden dirt bikes before, or is this your very first experience riding a motorcycle?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
Banned Camp Counselor

i tell u what tho., u picked the right forum to ask questions
the library on this site is amazing! almost every question u can think of has been asked and answered so do some searching around ull learn alot!!
the regulars on the site also are profesionals and promote only safe riding and riding equipment so watch what u say ie: riding to pick up chicks and shit
if thats what your looking for then buy the gsxr but if u wanna be a rider get the cbr! lol
rr_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_chick View Post
there is no downside (to me) learning on a 1000!!! i reccomend u learning on a 1000!!i tell all my friends that with "brand new riders" i usually hear them say-----"ahh its only a 600" and not respect the bike cuz they dont know that a 600 is still a beast and have the potential to kill them faster than a 1000!! usually u hear "wow thats a 1000" and people respect the bike making them a little more carefull on the clutch and gas which is what u wanna do when first starting out! also i seen it way to often that somebody says "oh ill just buy this 600 4 my starter bike"---nooooo!!! nobody needs a starter bike everybody needs a bike bike!! u spend 10k on a "starter bike" 2 weeks later after u "started" now u want a 1000 because all ur friends have 750's and 1000's and u hate having the "bitch bike" and end up losing money trading up to a 1000 because that brand new 600 with 300 miles isnt worth 10000 no more!

if u feel comf. with the 1000 get the 1000 a bunch of people that dont know bikes are gonna tell u nooo its too much but i would say if a 1000 is too much than so is a 600

i dont know exact #s but id like to say that the only diff between a 6 and 1000 is like 2-3 seconds, like 4-5 orgasms, and like $1000---learn on the gsxr 1000 and buy a 1000rr
if ur only gonna be riding in the street, ull keep up with the 1000's just fine on a 600 its only after like 125-140 where ull start falling way behind but u shouldnt be worrying about that those speeds yet anyway.lol

resect the road, respect the bike,and make sure u make it home every night!!
see u on the road!!!!!

i started on my 04 one theezy and can totally agree with your views.

in fact i dont know anyone that has died on a 1000 but i know several that have passed on 750s/600s as a first bike.
liter blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement