05 CBR 1KRR rattling noise, need some advice : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

05 CBR 1KRR rattling noise, need some advice

I bought bike used, it has 18k miles on it. I don't know if this sound has always been there or what, but its driving me crazy. I know these bikes makes nosies and what not, but this noise does not sound right at all. Bike starts up fine and idles fine. rattle comes on at 4k rpm and up. kinda vibrates the bike too and I can feel it in my handle bars. Sound is there in neutral and when in gear, clutch in or out same noise. Sounds like its coming from the clutch or transmission. I have taken the cover out and inspect the gears and basket in there. I did not find any abnormal wear or broken parts. Removed clutch plates and hand spun the inner clutch hub back and fourth. It spins freely, but does make a slight clinking noise when I spin it back and fourth quickly. Primary gear shows no sign of wear. Gears shifts up and down, no pop outs, but is very clunky and abrupt. other then that she rides normal and I do not notice any loss of power. The rattling sound and vibration is taking away the enjoyment of mid range fun of this Bike. I have done some clutch up wheelies here and there,but I like riding Hills and would not want something to break while I'm leaned over. Any input would be appreciated.
Stunnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Mine does it too between 4 and 6k in any gear.. it does kinda worry me but other than that she runs fine so I don't really let it get to me, I usually just stay above or below that range. Though I would like to know what the deal is. /subscribed

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'" ~ Hunter S. Thompson
HOSTvallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Many are the weak...

Maybe Cam Chain Tensioner???

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H. L. Mencken
douchebag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Have you cracked your clutch cover off and looked at the clutch plates? If that one conical plate is installed wrong it will cause noises, not sure if at 4k rpm specifically but rattle noises no less.

It might also be that the clutch plates are just messed up in general.

If some squid messed about & tried installing a clutch pack himself he may have reinstalled the starter gears wrong...remounting those gears is a bit fiddly and supposing said squid is indeed a squid with jersey-shore-guido-hair, I would assume he used a hammer out of frustration.

Cam chain may need adjusting perhaps, like previous posting, have you checked the cam chain tensioner?
puretone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

Mine is more of a sputtering kind of rattling.. more of a vibration from said sputtering.. when I open her up it stops but just a few minutes ago I noticed the bike sputtering pretty bad from 1k to about 6k.. pissing me off.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'" ~ Hunter S. Thompson
HOSTvallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Update: been riding my bike around plus commuting to and from work..bike now has 21k miles, rattle is still there..maybe sounds even worst. The bike have been producing a grinding sound during deceleration and just a few days ago while riding my local hills..not only did I heard, but I felt lots of vibration during an up shift from 2nd to 3rd. Now my 1st gear clunk is louder and I get the same clunk going into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I believe my uneasy feeling of this bike has been right the whole time. I have replaced the CCT with APE manual unit adjusted per instruction, sound did not go away...so I have been just living with it, and now I believe the sound has been coming from the Trans the whole time. The shifting is no longer as smooth and clunks really bad. I have a spear trans off a another 05 with 3k miles. Its time to pull the trans out and see what may have happen. I will change the oil to see if there's any metal shavings.
Stunnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #7

hi

i have the same noise

it happens in ALL GEARS and in neutral

once above 4000 rpm, hi pitch metallic noise will be heard from clutch area
probably present but not heard above 5000 due to engine noise
once below 4000 rpm it goes away

some suggestions were, clutch or tensioner or timing chain problem
another suggestion was BALANCER not adjusted

gear shift has a sort of clunk...
seems to vibrate the bike

however sometimes the noise seems to go away, especially when bike has been driven for a while

did you solve the issue and how?

my bike is 2011 repsol with 20K kms
sszgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement