2007 FIREBLADE HID Projectors Retrofit -STOCK REFLECTORS- and built in indicators. : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

2007 FIREBLADE HID Projectors Retrofit -STOCK REFLECTORS- and built in indicators.

Hi there Guys,

so I finally had chance to continue on my projector install, the studies consumed all my time and I had to concentrate on that. but now I have some time to SHARE with others what I have experienced and not be SO SELFISH like CERTAIN people who would not give an ounce of advice because they make money off of this type of thing.. lol, well I have good news for those who considered paying to get this done.. ITS NOT THAT HARD! I recommend you take the time and DO IT YOURSELF! you learn allot and once you get going you realize that its not that bad...

anyway, so what I did was buy the projectors off eBay( Excluding Ballasts but incl halos and Devil eyes and their controllers), I initially bought a set of ultra small projectors, but then the seller let me know that they were not BI-Xenon.. so they had to order me some from the FACTORY.. after waiting a couple of weeks and paying in a little extra they projectors arrived but to my shock they were almost double the size! I then decided that being in South Africa and all, Im not going to go through all the effort and costs involved to return the Items and then lose that much so I decided that I would just keep them and go the extra mile with the install and MAKE THEM FIT! so for the guys that gets scared when they see my first couple of pics, lol, dont be, when you do your install, just get the little smaller ones and you will have a breeze of an install compared to mine... also just keep in mind that yours will most probably be round at the rear.. where these I got was like OVAL at the back.. which made my cutting and shaping of the reflector MUCH MORE than others would need.... if I had the chance today to get another set, I would go for these as they are round at the rear(It seems) and their Halo rings in the front can be rotated where mine couldnt 2 (important things to consider)

Here is what the ones I got lookes like:

here goes...

First off obviously is taking everything off the bike and all that which im not posting pics of haha... and im also not posting what tools you need and all that typical GUIDE THREAD crap! IF anyone wants to know any additional info regarding the install, feel free to ask questions or PM's and I will answer asap according to best of my knowledge.

First: Opening of the Headlight unit. Note that the way most sites advise you to do is to put the whole thing in a OVEN, but seriously dude! Im not prepared to run that type of loss if If I slip up on the time or something.. I've read about a couple of peeps that Had to buy a new headlight because of the Oven thing.. so back to my selected method, the HEAT GUN or HOT AIR GUN some people might call it.. and it works like a charm, just be patient and also dont concentrate too much on one spot, spread the heat evenly over the glue areas...

Next was obviously to see how much work was needed to be done to get these projectors to fit in my reflectors.. and as I thought... I needed to do quite a bit of work...

now I could see that I needed to cut away the reflector in a couple of areas in order to get the projector to fit.. And when I was dong my research, nobody wanted to give me some tips or exact details on what needs to be don to the reflectors on the 04-07 models in order to use the stock reflectors.. but I knew it could be done coz all FRIENDLY RETROFIT GUYS done it and none of them were willing to share.... well IM sharing to the world now

But if you think about it,if you like the red devil eye reflection from the reflectors... why not just take the chance? I mean If you make a screw up of the reflectors you then just make your own mounting plates lie most guys doing DIY retrofit does.. but if you dont then you're probably going to keep the reflectors stuffed away somewhere and NEVER USE it again!....
back to the cutting.... my advice would be to cut little bit at a time and keep going at it till the Projector fits just right.. I made the mistake later in the install of cutting the same amount on the second reflector as I did on the first one, only to realize that the whole right reflector is different in size and dimensions than the left size, coz the one is a low beam and the other a high beam,... so dont make my mistakes..

ok so I started marking as I thought needed and started cutting away..

Limited to 20 pics so I will be posting a new post every 20 pics.....
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Test fit and noticed that I needed to take away quite a bit more...

A sneak peak

Ok the following pics im not going into detail on as they are just how I basically fitted and grinded away to get the Projectors to fit...

Here you can see how much I actually needed to grind away in order to get it to fit.. I also made an hole below the projector for the halo and devil eye wiring to go through..

Here is a comparison between the one that I just done grinding and the other side that I havnt started on yet

Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

Some whashers I had made...

And I also came up with the Idea of my Indicators being inside my headlight but not too be noticed when you look at it... so I decided in LED''s as the reflectors would do the work to make them visible from the front:

Sneak peak of the colors

Back to the Job at hand, now this is where I made the mistake of cutting too much as I just cut like I did with the other side.. but at least its not really noticeable... and I use silicone in the end anyway to secure the whole projector

It was i bit of a hasstle to get them to be in the same position, but with a bit of time and fine tuning I got it near perfect in the end

Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Guys also please just excuse if one or two pics are mixed or so,..

just to show again how much was needed to be grinded away... all I can say is get a mask! and wear an overall! lol!

And as you might see in the above pictures.. the projector started looking like CRAP!! from all the handling.. I think the sweat or something made the chrome to come off... I was very upset when I noticed that... (Another lesson learnt)

a comparison between the two projectors to show what it should look like...

Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Now for the AUDI LIGHTS>>> I just bought normal waterproof flexible LED STRIPS from eBay.. used double sided adhesive tape to get it in position and then used my glue gun to glue it to the light cover...

I had to cut slight little openings in the top corners of the reflectors in order for the reflectors to be able to be adjusted low enough, I found this out ALMOST THE HARD WAY, I was busy adjusting the reflector and at a point it just didnt want to go down anymore... so I basically forced and forced and all of a sudden i noticed that the reflector was pressing very hard against the led strip and the glue that holds the whole light closed were starting to separate.. I was lucky, just as well the whole reflector would have cracked or shattered into pieces! BEWARE OF THIS when doing these LED STRIPS!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

I want to do this but it looks like soooooooooooooo much work.
Great job btw.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

and then, the switches I decided on:

Cutting the rubber at the back to get it to seal around the grommit that came with the kit:

Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

sorting the wiring

And here it is before install, but did you notice the DEAD LED... Mmmm.... CRAP! had to take the whole thing apart again just for that stupid led!

Ok so got that fixed and here we go....

Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Ok so I decided to make my own little dashboard for the Switches.. ( I did post there in another thread BTW)

Got my template, now cut it out of Sperspex

Now bend it with my heat gun

think thats good enough... need some holes for the switches..

A couple of random pics of my wiring..

Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

Some icing on the cake

Advertisement