Bike starts then dies, starts then dies, bike starts and runs?? - Page 2 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilate718 View Post
just hit 15,000 miles
the battery has been sitting for a month but i had it on a charger
the plugs are still from factory(i need to change them) but is the plus my problem??
the air filter were installed around 8,000 miles never looked in there since
the pc3 was connected properly it was install with the airfilters at 8,000 miles (i have never had this problem when i installed the pc3, problem stated at 14,500miles
and throttle position reset peer power commander instructions?? i have had took the slack off the throttle cable when i got the bike at 6,000 miles
Ok you need to start trouble shooting to eliminate possible causes.
Without troubleshooting it's just anybodies scientific wild ass guess as to what the problem is.

Put a meter on the battery and make sure the bike is charging correctly, if yes move on,
if not further trouble shooting on the charging system will be necessary.

Have the battery load tested, even if its been on a charger and showing fully charged it could still be bad.

Check your air filters, clean or replace depending on if your filters are reusable or not

Spark plugs should be inspected at 16K and replaced at 32K
So with 15k on the clock you're just about due for an inspection.
Now if I was going in that deep I would just put a new set of plugs in, not hard to change the plugs
just a pain to get to them.

Valve inspection is at 16K as well so while you're in there you might as well
check the valve clearance.

Here's a link for a tutorial on the throttle position reset
I wasn't clear if you had done this when installing the PC or you were not sure what what I was talking about.
Tutorial runs slow so give it time
http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...20Throttle.swf

You could also try reloading the map or try the zero map and see if that makes any difference
before you start taking things apart
Rocketj21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketj21 View Post
Ok you need to start trouble shooting to eliminate possible causes.
Without troubleshooting it's just anybodies scientific wild ass guess as to what the problem is.

Put a meter on the battery and make sure the bike is charging correctly, if yes move on,
if not further trouble shooting on the charging system will be necessary.

Have the battery load tested, even if its been on a charger and showing fully charged it could still be bad.

Check your air filters, clean or replace depending on if your filters are reusable or not

Spark plugs should be inspected at 16K and replaced at 32K
So with 15k on the clock you're just about due for an inspection.
Now if I was going in that deep I would just put a new set of plugs in, not hard to change the plugs
just a pain to get to them.

Valve inspection is at 16K as well so while you're in there you might as well
check the valve clearance.

Here's a link for a tutorial on the throttle position reset
I wasn't clear if you had done this when installing the PC or you were not sure what what I was talking about.
Tutorial runs slow so give it time
http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...20Throttle.swf

You could also try reloading the map or try the zero map and see if that makes any difference
before you start taking things apart
this is so out of my league really stressing about bring the bike to the sealership or to a buddy of mine to do a half ass job but i am gunna chage the plug myself once a get a nice day of daylight...what plugs iridium ngk??
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilate718 View Post
this is so out of my league really stressing about bring the bike to the sealership or to a buddy of mine to do a half ass job but i am gunna chage the plug myself once a get a nice day of daylight...what plugs iridium ngk??
I sent you a PM
Rocketj21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #14

I don't know if you're having the problem still but I was having the same one. I jusy replaced my plugs and it starts perfectly!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
T_Cappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #15

Is it cold outside? Mine doesn't like to fire up first time if it's below 50-45 without giving it some gas for like 25 seconds or so. When it's warm no problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
aieownyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #16

Did somebody come to an solution about this because i have the exact same problem?
Dannedanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
Lifetime Premium

i have been having this same issue for about a year and a half. i started doing the same thing as below and it will fire and run fine. i too am starting to get a little irritated at the bike.

i have a pc3 and sato with Dan Kyle map.

could there be something with the TPS sensor or PC communication? once it fires it idles and runs great

i only have 13800 on the odo and that is heavy given the gearing i ran for a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jddc15 View Post
I had a problem like this wiht my 06 cbr 1000. I would start it it would fire right up then die within a second or two. I found it mostly does it in temps below 50. I have alos found that if I give the throttle just a very small very short blip when i start it it sits and idles and warms up just as it should. I dont know what causes it. I have gone through my charging system and all is good there. I have changed plugs and air filter and inspected all harness connectors. The bike has never left me stranded and I have gotten to the point where I do not worry about it too much. I was told it may be the idle advance going out but the bike still idles up until warm and then idles itslef down once at operating temperature.
'06 mistress, Sato TI oval slip-on ( yeah i know is crooked ), PCIII, Jardine fender eliminator, TiTax shorties, BMC race filters, Nickey front sprocket cover, Sato rear sets, Motovation no-cut sliders, Custom white and silver paint job.

old enough to know better but still stupid enough to pin the throttle.

dude i'm not a squid, i'm a poser
mihomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement